Devotti Singlehander- D-One

doghouse

Super Anarchist
I am commenting from an American perspective on this myself. There are obstacles, no doubt, but I just don't see 'it's too hard' as one of them personally. We have millions of Americans snowboarding halfpipes, and skiff sailing is fairly straightforward by comparision.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
I agree with the comparison to half pipes, but it's also worth pointing out that sailing an asymmetric dinghy like a D-One or RS100 is a lot easier than sailing a 'proper skiff' in the 12/18 sense of the word... far less full on and anyone with a basic level of dinghy sailing experience can have a go and get up to speed within a realistic timeframe. Whether they are competitive will be more to do with who's driving the other boats, rather than which boat has been optimised for faster performance.

doghouse

Super Anarchist
I agree with the comparison to half pipes, but it's also worth pointing out that sailing an asymmetric dinghy like a D-One or RS100 is a lot easier than sailing a 'proper skiff' in the 12/18 sense of the word... far less full on and anyone with a basic level of dinghy sailing experience can have a go and get up to speed within a realistic timeframe. Whether they are competitive will be more to do with who's driving the other boats, rather than which boat has been optimised for faster performance.
For sure, I agree totally there.

BalticBandit

Super Anarchist
Ok I watched the video from Page one

And my kmees hurt watching it. I mean it looks ok fun but

Off the line they seem no faster than lasers

Upwind everybody is body working it like a laser. How long before only the laser monkeys can be competitive?

Downwind, I was surprised how immersed the bow was despite the crew being hiked all the way aft. In that sort of breeze it made me wonder what it would be like if it were blowing 18 and 3' sea state.

dev luc

baltic...the starts you saw in the video where in 4 to 5 knots pf breeze, 11.2 square metres help to sail even in nearly no wind...but still no real wind there...one thing is sure is that the d one hiking position does not harm knees and backs...but are you going to believe me...i am kind of the father of the d one...well try it out and judge for yuorself...ciao luca

BalticBandit

Super Anarchist
baltic...the starts you saw in the video where in 4 to 5 knots pf breeze, 11.2 square metres help to sail even in nearly no wind...but still no real wind there...one thing is sure is that the d one hiking position does not harm knees and backs...but are you going to believe me...i am kind of the father of the d one...well try it out and judge for yuorself...ciao luca
The droop hiking that the boat shows puts exactly the kind of negative load on the knee that is a problem for ACLs like mine (both replaced)

but that's not realy what I was trying to comment on. More on the amount of dynamic body motion that was being used - which is very Laser like and precisely one of the reasons I no longer race Lasers or Windsurfers - they are a kinetic motion race with everyone trying to push it to the limit of the rules.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Some pics leading up to the D-One Gold Cup. Pretty sweet thing they've got going there.

PIETRO SIBELLO SECOND OVERALL  D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD ...JPG

La D-One Gold Cup.JPG

AUGUSTIN   ZABALUA   LEADER  D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  0...JPG

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I like this little update from Luca going into the Gold Cup:

We just had our first tense championship - the Italian Champs - won by Agustin Zabalua just ahead of Sibello the Italian 49er superstar. Guys went to bed sober nearly every night, except fo course the wet t-shirt competition night (see attachment) - we even had some girls sailing - kind of magic...The old spirit is back when sailing was kind of a triathlon: Sailing, drinking, and...guess what?

So here we are - our first season is coming to an end, and only the Gold Cup is left. In Valencia, Spain from October 1-3 they'll battle for it. We'll have 15 countries represented with some real champions fighting it out as well as good friends. We'll have a magic gold trophy to compete for - a sculpture made by an amazing Spanish artist - well, financial constraints obliged us to downgrade to gold plating, but at 14 kg for the sculpture, this little change will easily be understood!

Keep posted here for news and daily reports from the event, and for a very exciting announcement for the 2011 D-One season.

17092010129.jpg

PIETRO SIBELLO  SECOND AT D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  003_...JPG

PIETRO SIBELLO  SECOND AT D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  002_...JPG

PIETRO SIBELLO  SECOND AT D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  001_...JPG

GIORGIO POZZI  THIRD AT D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP¨S  COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD 2010   IG bis...JPG

D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  084_redimensionner.JPG

D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  077_redimensionner.JPG

D ONE ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS  2010   COPYRIGHT FRANCOIS RICHARD  071_redimensionner.JPG

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Finally, here's the press release for the D-One Gold Cup, along with a video showing you what it's about. Very happy to get a call from Luca with him prattling on like an excited little kid about his new class. Good times.

D-One Gold Cup 1 inglese.pdf

Attachments

• D-One Gold Cup 1 inglese.pdf
    206.9 KB · Views: 13

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here's the entry list - almost complete - for Valencia.

- Andy Turton uk

- Ferrari alberto italy

- Bret Perry aus

- Andrea Gancia italy

- Andrea Gianmarini italy

- Paolo Rossi italy

- Edward Wirght uk

- stefano caruso italy

- Fabio Toccoli italy

- Guido Falciola italy

- Jonathan Lobert fra

- Keith Fedi uk

- Matt Coutts nzl

- Matthias Grothues-Spork ger

- Michele Tognozzi italy

- Philippe Rogge belgium

- Rafa Trujillo spain

- Ralph Berens ger

- Stefano Caruso italy

- Matias Ross Navarro. spain

- Stefen Bock germany

- Sumio Shimoyama japan

- Vicente Iranzo spain

- Agustín Zabalúa arg

- Walter Ritschka aut

- Zsombor Berecz hungary

- Tim Garvin uk

- Michael maier cz

- Roman teply cz

- Andrea Gancia italy

- Ivan kliacovic gaspic Croatia,

- Gasper vincec slovenia

- Giovanni tricarico italy

- Giancarlo pragliola italy

Wavedancer II

Anarchist
From Clean's post:

Here's the entry list - almost complete - for Valencia.

Some of the (really) big names in the Finn class that's for sure. Now, why didn't Luca invite an Old Laser Geezer like me?

Confused

D-town.
the bottom line is this..in the US at least... it does not matter how expensive it is (its cheaper than a moth)...the question is fleets...will they pop up in san diego, chicago detroit, newport, charlston, san francisco.....if they do, the boat will succeed.

bistros

Super Anarchist
the bottom line is this..in the US at least... it does not matter how expensive it is (its cheaper than a moth)...the question is fleets...will they pop up in san diego, chicago detroit, newport, charlston, san francisco.....if they do, the boat will succeed.
Welcome, and nice first post.

I disagree with the concept that the question is fleets. It is actually the need for fanatical evangelists that are willing to go sail a boat without an existing fleet - because they love it. Evangelists can build fleets, but without evangelists that are willing to tell the world, fleets will never happen.

What the Devoti One needs is a bunch of Steve Jobs-type true believers that can create reality distortion fields to hocus pocus other people into drinking the Devoti Kool Aid. That's what builds initial fleets. Luca Devoti is doing this job already, but he needs about 8-10 more of himself distributed around the planet.

--

Bill

allanfj

r there any of these in north america?

I'm thinking some of those 49er guys are thinking/wondering about a trapeze on these things.