DH Mosquito first flight in 48 years yesterday

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Nice. I knew zip about this plane so thanks to Google and Wiki I know a little. What a versatile aircraft, the different versions did just about everything but cook dinner.

the greatest tribute to the aircraft came from Göring himself, who said it made him “green and yellow with envy”.

He added: “The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses, and we have the nincompoops.”

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
A Mossie was restored in New Zealand, and I believe now the last one flying. We get spoiled on Ontario, this year was a smaller airshow out of a great flying museum, listening to a Lancaster & Mosquito warming up on the ramp with a smaller crowd.

Last year was the big show, Mossie, Lanc, pair of Spits, pair of Hurricane's, Focke Wulf 190, 109 Emil & even a 262!

Our Lanc is flying over to England later in the year for the BOB Memorial Flight.

Sooke, BC
Dilligaf - no longer the only one flying :)

Perhaps one day someone in the UK will get one back operational, they managed it with the Vulcan and that was a lot more ambitious.

Great news. I live across the highway from the airport so will definitely keep my eyes and ears open. Would love to see it up close.

One of my fave aircraft of WW2. My father helped build them in Downsview (Toronto)

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
JBSF said:
A Mossie was restored in New Zealand, and I believe now the last one flying. We get spoiled on Ontario, this year was a smaller airshow out of a great flying museum, listening to a Lancaster & Mosquito warming up on the ramp with a smaller crowd.

Last year was the big show, Mossie, Lanc, pair of Spits, pair of Hurricane's, Focke Wulf 190, 109 Emil & even a 262!

Our Lanc is flying over to England later in the year for the BOB Memorial Flight.
A flying ME-262?? Wow, that would be cool to see.
There was a company building new Me-262s with modern powerplants encased in the nacelles. I think they built/were building at least 3. One two-seat trainer had flown. Haven't heard any more from them.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooke, BC
Odd, it's fine on mine and is their actual website. Probably down to the videos imbedded further down the page, there is rather a lot happening on a single page. Might be worth dropping them an email to get their webmaster to take a proper look at it.

Mark K

Super Anarchist
JBSF said:

A flying ME-262?? Wow, that would be cool to see.
Ever see that little German rocket plane/glider?

Fueled with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Stoff -under the pilots seat.

The description on the documentary: "You steek your finger en, und zou pull oot only ze bone!"