Dick Carter design boats

chorus1

Anarchist
France
Wellcome to share photos of cute Carter designed Racers....and souvenirs

I personaly skipped a Carter37 sistership of Ydra, One Ton 27.5 IOR in Europe in the old, very old times (70's)

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
Wellcome to share photos of cute Carter designed Racers....and souvenirs

I personaly skipped a Carter37 sistership of Ydra, One Ton 27.5 IOR in Europe in the old, very old times (70's)

No pics, but I used to sail on a Carter 33 with a short stick that rated 1/2 ton. She was a really pretty boat. That was about '74 I think.

rogergamache

Sorry, no pics but a lot of great memories. Aggressive ... flush deck 2 tonner built for Canada's Cup. Also all the NA 40s... Offshore One Design racing before it was "cool". I liked the Carter 37 One Ton a lot more than the Carter 33 (less tortured lines).

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Roger:

believe it or not AGGRESSIVE was the inspiration for the Valiant 40.

I sailed on a Carter 39 in Seattle RABBIT for two years. We smoked a lot of pot and we kicked a lot of ass.

One regatta we raced one race with four of us. There was a fifth guy below but he was still drunk from the night before.

And we one the race. I was a bit hung over too.. I'm certain we all were. Hung over but good sailors.

When there are only four of you you don't wait to see who's going to do it you know you have to do it. so it gets done.

I can remember waking up one morning on the starboard settee berth and I looked accross the boat there was a guy I had never seen before.

He had a blaser with a lot of gold on it pulled up over his legs, mini sleeping bag style. It turned out to be the Commodore of the Royal Vic's YC's blaser and he had just picked it up.

He had just stumbled onto the first boat he found with a vacant berth. He was a nice guy. We helped him on his way decked out in his Commodorish finery.

We played hard and we sailed hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Ok, I'll tell you another story. I'm in the mood for looking back.

It was the Swiftsure Race of about 1975 RABBIT was the boat to beat and we were a great crew.

We were sitting on the boat on Friday about 10am smoking a joint, a fat one, when there appeared in the companionway an old guy in a blaser. It was the pre-race inspection.

The owner of the boat, holding the joint, was siting at the nav table so he just opened it up and dropped the still lit joint into the nav table.

We all sat there with ,I'm sure, very silly looks on our faces.

The old guy came about half way down the companionway, looked around and said, "You've beeen smoking that stuff!" and left. I guess we passed the inspection.

I don't recall any of us saying anything. I remember the smoke curling out of the chart table.

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Ok, I'll tell you another story. I'm in the mood for looking back.

It was the Swiftsure Race of about 1975 RABBIT was the boat to beat and we were a great crew.

We were sitting on the boat on Friday about 10am smoking a joint, a fat one, when there appeared in the companionway an old guy in a blaser. It was the pre-race inspection.

The owner of the boat, holding the joint, was siting at the nav table so he just opened it up and dropped the still lit joint into the nav table.

We all sat there with ,I'm sure, very silly looks on our faces.

The old guy came about half way down the companionway, looked around and said, "You've beeen smoking that stuff!" and left. I guess we passed the inspection.

I don't recall any of us saying anything. I remember the smoke curling out of the chart table.
Not to hijack, but that reminds me of the 1975 Mills Race on Lake Erie, sailing on my dad's Ranger 37. We finish second overall to the S&S 61 Kahili, breaking the course record (by a few minutes less than they did), and get back to the dock. My brothers and I are hanging around the cockpit smoking joints with some local young ladies late in the evening/early in the morning when my father returns to the boat from the YC bar somewhat in his cups. He pauses in the cockpit, partakes of the passing medicinals a few times while talking with us, and a few minutes later heads down below and passes out . In the morning, he had no recollection of it. The one and only time I ever smoked with my father. I miss those days, a lot different type of sailing.

I still think about the contrast between the traditional '72 Aggressive I, and the '75 Bruce King designed 37 foot bilge boarder Aggressive II. I don't know that you could get two boats designed to the same level rating rule more different.

sr chief

Super Anarchist
Fiji, soon...
Roger:

I sailed on a Carter 39 in Seattle RABBIT for two years. We smoked a lot of pot and we kicked a lot of ass.

One regatta we raced one race with four of us. There was a fifth guy below but he was still drunk from the night before.

And we one the race. I was a bit hung over too.. I'm certain we all were. Hung over but good sailors.

When there are only four of you you don't wait to see who's going to do it you know you have to do it. so it gets done.

I can remember waking up one morning on the starboard settee berth and I looked accross the boat there was a guy I had never seen before.

He had a blaser with a lot of gold on it pulled up over his legs, mini sleeping bag style. It turned out to be the Commodore of the Royal Vic's YC's blaser and he had just picked it up.

He had just stumbled onto the first boat he found with a vacant berth. He was a nice guy. We helped him on his way decked out in his Commodorish finery.

That is funny! Oh thank you!

chorus1

Anarchist
France
Roger:

Good memories Bob :) !

Just stay that in France on those years, especially at "La Rochelle" we have had fabuleous boats and a lot of fun !

One night i got a young guy fastened to my mast, never met him ! He was from other boat's crew and his fellows thought he was too noisy :)

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
Noryema VII (or VCX)

Was a wonderful cruising boat in the Med for two super joint-owners, secluded low depth anchorages ... if a bit "oily"

Now fully rebuilt in Sweden and gracing baltic waters.

No slouch eh !

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
An other nice find on the Internet.

"NAIF" to Raul Gardini, a '73 44' amiraler of a contemporary style to the 39 and 43s.

Still racing and winning IOR meetings in the hands of Raul's son.

/monthly_04_2011/post-6361-076718400%201302346263_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• naif-foto.jpg
    naif-foto.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 10

Phoenix

Super Anarchist
Eastport, USA
I had some of the best times of my life on two Carter 39's. Rabbit before it went west and Phoenix. Little Chuck learned to walk on Phoenix on the delivery down from Marblehead. He would bounce between the settees with his life jacket on for padding and laugh every time he rebounded. Then there was the delivery up to Newport when Big Woody was trying to set up a date in Atlantic City with a radio patch. Every time Carter, in the quarter berth, would start to mumble he would stuff the pacifier back in and play with him. Sailing almost side by side with Mark Soverel for the entire SORC in 75.

My best memory of all was bringing the boat back from Nassau on a crystal clear day with about 15 knots from the south close reaching to fort Lauderdale. There were five or six boats all in a row, all from the same class with Proud Mary playing on the radio.

Good times.

USA
Carter 39 built in 2 versions in Greece - flush deck & doghouse. The doghouse rated better IOR and hence won more silver, I believe.

Love the tumblehome. Photographed in New York, long ago.

/monthly_04_2011/post-4718-085657300%201302364767_thumb.jpg

/monthly_04_2011/post-4718-050497400%201302364783_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• _Blaze.jpg
    _Blaze.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
  • _Blaze1.jpg
    _Blaze1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 16

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Can't think why the "doghouse" in fact, really a cabin trunk, would effect the rating unless that version was just heavier.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yeah heavier probably but the flush deck model was already designed to get the max CGF allowance, as I recall.

Thanks for posting the pics. It's fun to look at that old shape again.

StayinStrewn

Super Anarchist
Stratford, CT
Ha, Blaze! the du Moulin's old boat!!

My dad did a bunch of Bermuda Races on her back in the day, good times I recall hearing!

Ha, Blaze! the du Moulin's old boat!!

My dad did a bunch of Bermuda Races on her back in the day, good times I recall hearing!