diesel engine anarchy

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
not so much a question as a Who'd a Thunk it!

1. A few weeks ago my engine quit while bringing kids back from regatta. seemed like a simple clogged fuel filter. I cleaned the sight bowl and replaced the filter. dock side advice said replace the other filter too and pull the tank and get a new one. I demurred. instead I spent my spare time for a few weeks learning how to bleed the blighter i have to admit I took every shortcut I could think of. I just never found a diesel so hard to start after running out of fuel. A friend figured out how to get a wrench on the bleed screw that had its Phillips hole thoroughly analized. That helped, the bitch started. Off I go to Seattle to get my new Genoa. it fits. only three weeks after ordering it got here from SA (south Africa). On the way home the engine quits. Puget Sound is glassy. I spend an hour rinsing out the filter to try to get home. 300' and pfft. I get towed in and the dock rats starting again with all the good free advice. I just could not keep fuel going into the engine even with a fuel bulb pump pressing it in WTF! I final decide to take the tank out. not a bad job as the settee comes out and exposes it totally. first I decide to remove the weird vent type tank gauge air line from the pump end so when the tank tips up it won't spill out of too many holes. as soon as the air line comes off the pump I hear air bubbling into the tank! The tank was totally sealed and the vent did not. so I tried to blow into the vent outlet. no go. lips too big. I take the other end off the tank and I cannot blow any air through the hose at all. zip. I disassemble the out board end. no plug. I climb into the lazarette and with my trusty flash light look into the hose. It is plugged about an inch in with what looks like mud. half falls out and the rest is dislodged with a cable tie. Mason Bees! the godamned vent was totally plugged by a mason Bee. Mutha Fucker!

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Hmmm. On a related note, previous owner told me I would have to turn off the diesel when fueling. I've been wondering why and it doesn't appear that I have a vent. I turn it off, but have been thinking of re-routing the tank fill to a higher spot than the cockpit sole. Should I add a vent?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
yes you need a vent. if there is no vent the tank will draw air thru the deck fill fitting when the engine is running. or it will stop the engine through starvation. are you sure there is no vent?

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
You mean, like this?

IMG_0177.JPG

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I don't want to crawl back in there now but last time I gave this a look I thought there was no vent line visible. It's newish, and looks like a "standard" molded plastic tank, although I would expect them to have molded-in fittings.

FRENZY

Chicago
I used to keep a small 2 gal gravity tank that would allow me to get home. It was a two gallon plastic jug with a 1/2" hose fitting on the side. It will get your home if any part of your fuel system fails including the pump if electric. Just pull off the fuel hose at the inlet and hook up the jug. As long as the jug is outlet is higher than the engine inlet your good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
yes you need a vent. if there is no vent the tank will draw air thru the deck fill fitting when the engine is running. or it will stop the engine through starvation. are you sure there is no vent?
I'll have to get back in there and see for sure. But I do wonder why the advice if there is a vent. ??? Any other reasons come to mind?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I'll have to get back in there and see for sure. But I do wonder why the advice if there is a vent. ??? Any other reasons come to mind?
You don't want any electrical activity while the fueling is going on, plus every fuel dock I have dealt with requires motors off while fueling. It's just common sense. If you can run the engine for more than 30 minutes without it stopping, you have a vent.