Dieting ... Getting Back to Exceptionalism in America

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
We burned a lot of calories building a country which is the envy of the world, except for certain neighborhoods in OZ. Now though most of us don't have to work that hard and many oldsters seem to get fatter each and every year without doing any work at all. The activity level slowed but the eating did not. Info varies but between 35 and 40% of us are obese by BMI.   

But we all know that, amirite?

I think what few know is how little we need to eat. Yeah, yeah, calories and all that complicated stuff. Here, however, is food for thought if not for eating. Per the Am Cancer Soc and elsewhere, portion control is key and the ACS offers the following stats: 

1 oz. meat = size of a matchbox

3 oz. meat = size of a deck of cards or bar of soap (the recommended portion for a meal)

8 oz. meat = size of a thin paperback book

1 medium potato = size of a computer mouse

Serving size of cooked pasta: 2 oz ... 56g ... (just the pasta) one cup

Cheese: matchbox ... 28g

And consider: 

What is the best serving size?

3. Use Your Hands as a Serving Guide

High-protein foods: A palm-sized serving for women and two. ...

Vegetables and salads: A fist-sized portion for women and two. ...

High-carb foods: One cupped-hand portion for women and. ...

High-fat foods: One thumb-sized portion for women and.

And from Healthline, even less:

Cooked
pasta or rice: 1/2 cup (75 and 100 grams,
respectively)

Vegetables
and salad: 1–2 cups (150–300 grams)

Breakfast
cereal: 1 cup (40 grams)

Cooked
beans: 1/2 cup (90 grams)

Nut butter: 2
tablespoons (16 grams)

Cooked
meats: 3 ounces (85 grams)

You don’t always have to measure your meals. However, doing so may be helpful for a short period to develop awareness of what an appropriate portion size looks like. After a while, you may not need to measure everything.

Offered without much editorial comment as a public service.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
"Happiness is wearing your skinny pants." Likely quote by Mahatma Gandhi

images

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
"Eat 2000 calories a day and call me in a year." 
You've done some math on-topic.  From my experience and research, only a rather small and active person will loose much in a year at 2000/day.  Most will probably not gain much though.  Al Sharpton says he lost something like 150 eating about 1000/day and keeps it off by sticking with that.  Not sure how long it took him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Portion control and what your calories consist of is the very simple formula. Ignore it and you're gonna get fat. Pay attention to those, be reasonably active and even exercise and you won't be fat. I know......I've been both. When I got fat I knew absolutely why and what it would take to fix it. So I did. 

Its not rocket science. Its a choice....each day.......

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Offered without much editorial comment as a public service.
'Dieting ... Getting Back to Exceptionalism in America'

Withe theise type statementtes you our approacheng 'Hasherdom' ....... juste sayeng.                    :)

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I hear you Snaggs. It was my Don Quixote sneaking out.

BMI is nonsense.

We all know that, right?
If you say so. I don't own any of those calipers or counters, weight watchers and whatnot.  From my own experience and a lifetime of casual and anecdotal "research" like most others, it takes a month or two of very low carbs/cal to lose 10-15#. With fewer carbs in, your my metab starts using belly fat whether you personally believe it or know better ... no argument from me ... beyond saying mindful eating can literally change your life if you're overweight.

Skip the meal ritual. You've heard it all before. Eat when you're actually hungry. Solve that with a ONE handful of unsalted nuts and a pint of water and deal with hunger the next time you are really hungry with a carrot and a cucumber or sardines and red onion or steamed broccoli. I hear yak yak about losing water weight. You ain't LOSING water weight when you're drinking a pint of water every few hours with "meals." Naturally, others know better.

Think it thru for yourself. And don't wait for the first of the month or your birthday or Monday. Start today. Coffee sans sugar and ONE string cheese for breakfast. Start getting used to noticing to your own bodily signals. Acknowledge your signals, and get back to work. You know how after a big lunch, a nap would be nice? Yeah well that whole "full" feeling is robbing you of productive time. Hours each day. Fat or fit. Pick one.

I don't go all-in Atkins, or Paleo or anything. Too much hassle. MG noted that 1000 may be the limit for weight loss for some. Gonna be way faster, especially if you're in a chair all day. If you're on your feet and active ... and have a weight problem ... see a doc and start packing your own "lunch." Or, don't want to fuck with all that? I hear you. Toss an orange and an apple in your pocket. Done.

I haven't needed to know anything about obesity issues but I know the same 10-15 # that most of us do after 40. I'm not buying 35% obesity of 330M ... 115,000,000 people have metabolic issues. Sorry, not sorry. Many, many fat folk are poverty people both without knowledgeable support or even access to fresh, healthy food. That's not us.

One month in, you reclaim your skinny pants from the locker, your belt buckle reaches uncharted territory, you can see your pecker again looking straight down. And best, you or at least I, feel better, lighter, more energetic. Some think yoga won't help with old injuries? Have it your way but that 15# off those poor old knees matter. YMMV. 

Now, I'm fully aware that I have my personal detractors on PA but Point Blank doesn't. Take his word for it. As noted upthread, he's saying what I'm saying. Take what you want and leave the rest.

Now, I'm going to click over and see what little peacock scat has been deposited in threads by AJ. 

tommays

Super Anarchist
Northport
I stoped eating cereal for breakfast and bread with lunch and dinner Miraculously my cholesterol levels went form getting pushed into drugs to control it to very healthy

4A75501B-E8EA-49A1-B0DB-1878F902BD10.jpeg

584D2E6F-9D7C-421C-8AC8-8BF16217EEB3.jpeg

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Carbs!

and my cardiologist isn’t happy unless my LDL is 70 or below.  I keep him happy  :)

Then the age old question is, do you treat to numbers or the person?  
93 and dropping. My stats read just like Tom's.

Couple of days ago (hope I haven't told this previously) guys come in for a beer. Everyone's talking and one of them sez he's a tri-athlete. "Yeah?" thinks I, and look over. T shirt and shorts so wasn't clear about muscles but he wasn't noticeably fat. Then I saw his cantaloupe-sized calf muscles ... not cankles.  R-e-s-p-e-c-t.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
93 and dropping. My stats read just like Tom's.

Couple of days ago (hope I haven't told this previously) guys come in for a beer. Everyone's talking and one of them sez he's a tri-athlete. "Yeah?" thinks I, and look over. T shirt and shorts so wasn't clear about muscles but he wasn't noticeably fat. Then I saw his cantaloupe-sized calf muscles ... not cankles.  R-e-s-p-e-c-t.
For sure working out!  His HDL is probably high, right where it belongs.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I'm announcing my new Practice of Lower Carbology. Offering clients literal life coaching advice at sliding scale fees for an online consult. Or ya can just stop eating bad stuff.

To think we're subsidising Big Sugar for killing us slowly... forkful by forkful ... there oughta be a law.  

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Long, slow distance running/hiking along with carb restriction can amplify the benefits with regard to fat loss. If done properly through a training cycle you can increase mitochondrial density in cells, making them more adept at generating energy from intramuscular fat. It makes 'bonking' less likely and not as severe when it does happen.

Similarly, a core workout before meals makes you eat less.

I'd rather be more disciplined in activity than eating, but I definitely can't eat 3500 calories a day and get away with it anymore. Avoiding liquid calories does the trick for the most part.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
When I was training heavy for Tri's I couldn't eat enough and couldn't keep any weight on. Long long rides and runs. I commuted about 40 miles one way to work on my bike and took much longer rides on my days off. I mean if I was not working or sleeping I was working out, and even at work I still managed a shorter workout. I didn't actually count calories much except to try to keep as much going in as possible. It was around 6000+ a day at a 50/35/15. Thats a lot of carbs but they were "good carbs". At the time (we're talking early 80's) the idea of restricting carbs in favor of proteins or fats really wasn't really in vogue much less the low carb high protein fad. My weight now is right between 190 and 200 and its a strong healthy weight. Back then I struggled to stay about 160. Contrast that with my fat period when I hit 235.

Now almost to my 7th decade, I am very active but recognize when the warranty runs out the body can only take so much abuse. A few years ago I realized my workout goals needed to change. I don't work out to "get better, faster, bigger, stronger." I work out to slow aging and deterioration. That means low impact (with two hip replacements thats kinda mandatory), concentrate on tone and maintaining muscle mass and flexibility. Where I would swim 1.5-2 miles or more in a workout for speed, now I swim under a mile....usually around 1200-1600 yards....and do slower repeats, like 10x100 repeating on about 2:30 to 2:45 with some speed 50's and 25's before and after. Not setting the world on fire but helpful in the low impact aging battle. Add golf 2-3 times a week, a couple hours of pickleball twice a week, archery, bikes, and TRX (I love being retired B) ). I don't count calories but its probably around 2000-2500 a day generally made up of what would be characterized as a Mediterranean Diet. Smaller portions, lots of veggies and salads, low carb count and protein is fish and chicken (not every night) with pork and red meat a couple times a month. Also we really don't eat "meals". We graze. Dinner is really the only official meal. Desserts about once maybe twice a week. For us dessert is two cookies our one piece of something sweet. Keep it around 150 calories or so as a general guideline. Hardly ever drink beer, have a cocktail every night in the jacuzzi pre dinner but nothing sweet. If we plan wine with dinner we skip the cocktail and keep it to one glass. Dinner drink is usually club soda with a lemon squeeze.

A reasonable low impact workout plan and reasonable eating is the secret to keeping the weight around 200 and its easy and enjoyable. Those long workouts (probably combined with lotsa of physical activity at work) really didn't do me any favors for my orthopedic health in these later years. If I had known the cost I would have approached my workouts and pastimes differently. But.....hindsight is always 20/20.

Owen

Super Anarchist
Camarillo
I used the pandemic and the desire to look cool in the band as an excuse to finally lose 45 pounds.  Running and diet did the trick and it's crazy how I can predict exactly what a 'cheat' meal will look like on the scale and how I can work it off in two or three days.  It's a sad day when a tortilla is a delicacy but worth it like a mofo.  And a big fuck you to the dude on the Flying Tiger who joked about sending me up the mast as if it was an impossibility.  

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
The opposite was true back then.  Carb loading was the path to athletic excellence. 

I bet you had a big pasta dinner the evening before a race. 
Yes, but if you recall you had to fast from carbs for up to five days and then do the carbo load.. 

It was from the book Eat To Win...

Back on my moto-cross days when I was training pretty heavily, six servings of lasagna, 4 Ben and Jerry's, and a steak was nothing...  two hours later I was hungry again was the norm. 

My kid is the same way - swimmer and water polo...