Dingy and Skiff Teaching [Aussie style]

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
At the suggestion of ‘75, I've been trawling back through the original Australian Skiffs thread - looks like the teaching digression starts around She Sails [Rambler Sep 21 '22]. All great stuff - in an attempt to summarise for those who've only seen this thread:
At Northbridge we're looking to play to our strengths - the committee are comfortable with introducing or re-introducing people to sailing (I'm sailing vicariously; son crewing a Flying 11) - and not over-focus on Olympic pathways. There are better clubs in the area for youngsters to progress to that if it floats their boat (you're welcome Stanno ;) ). We're keeping going with our kids and adult LTS programmes and LiveIn. We're increasingly focussing on that transition afterwards, with club Opti's, Flying 11's, Lasers and Taser available to remove the need to go all-in buying a boat straight after the course ends. Time will tell if this works out, but it's showing promise this season.

We're very keen to bounce ideas around and work together - if we collectively get more people into this wonderful sport and enjoying it as much as I do, I'm a happy man. As ‘75 mentions above he’s hoping to meet Rambler etc end-Jan; I may not make it in person but happy to join virtually if practical.
Hi Beergetarian (love the tag)
The only thing I'd add to your first dot point is that the young adults are mostly women and have generally never sailed before and their first introduction to sailing is actually being hung off the wire of the skiff and that it has resulted in a noticable increase in membership with a reduction in average age and an increased percentage of women sailors.

Races are from the 27th to 29th
We will be driving down on 26th; probably arrive about 2pm. Normally we would set up boats and go sailing, but are told that there will be fireworks that night and the rigging park is a major grandstand for them. So I suspect the afternoon will be free.
A majority of us drive in a loose convoy, so arrive around the same time
Most of us will be at a motel in Toronto.
Probably leave early morning of Monday the 30th.

Does this suit your purpose?
Do you want to DM me to discuss further.
Not sure how that fits with other clubs, but no doubt they'll see this note
Rambler, the afternoon of the 26th at Teralba will suit me well. I would plan to stay overnight as my wife has relatives on Lake Macquarie. As you can see from Beergetarian's post I am at Northbridge which several people have guessed. I hope some others can join in a discussion.

oztrack

Australia
I am particularly interested in this thread. We sail a single handed dinghy called a Sabre but with a redesigned sail (so not class compliant but an improvement on the 1974 original…. that’s a whole story in itself!). We sail on a stretch of the Swan River at East Fremantle in W.Australia.
We have been running training for interested new members for some years to build our fleet and have targeted participants in our Club’s adult dinghy training course. This has worked well and we give trainees some basic introduction to sailing a 42 kg dinghy which is quite different from the 2 person Pacers the learnt on it they learn fast. We’ve been very successful in attracting women and 25 percent of our fleet is owned and raced by women.
Key to the way we work with trainees is to acknowledge their skills, treat them as adults and provide continuous support. Not all trainees continue in Sabres but our retention rate after the initial club training has much improved. Finding second hand reasonably priced boats is a challenge but we have been able to purchase and borrow 4 training boats.
Our junior section is growing rapidly, sailing Open Bics and Pelicans but we need a 2 handed boat for those who don’t want a single hander. Club is looking at Quests but finance is an issue at the moment.

toomanyboats

@oztrack we're using Mirrors as a junior double hander at our club in Victoria. We've built a Minnow fleet from scratch over the last 7 years, and like you we needed a 2 handed boat for those that don't want a single hander. We started taking our old Mirror down and the kids loved it. Given the demographics of the club we needed an option with both new and second hand boats (many of our juniors are from non-sailing families, so need to ease them in gently with cheaper boats). Only other option was the International Cadet - good boat, but most second hand boats are sold within the 4 clubs that sail them so difficult to get hold of to build a new fleet.
Happy to share more about our experience if you want.
I'm very interested to hear more about your Sabre transition course - we're also a strong Sabre club, and we could do with something like this

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
I am particularly interested in this thread. We sail a single handed dinghy called a Sabre but with a redesigned sail (so not class compliant but an improvement on the 1974 original…. that’s a whole story in itself!). We sail on a stretch of the Swan River at East Fremantle in W.Australia.
We have been running training for interested new members for some years to build our fleet and have targeted participants in our Club’s adult dinghy training course. This has worked well and we give trainees some basic introduction to sailing a 42 kg dinghy which is quite different from the 2 person Pacers the learnt on it they learn fast. We’ve been very successful in attracting women and 25 percent of our fleet is owned and raced by women.
Key to the way we work with trainees is to acknowledge their skills, treat them as adults and provide continuous support. Not all trainees continue in Sabres but our retention rate after the initial club training has much improved. Finding second hand reasonably priced boats is a challenge but we have been able to purchase and borrow 4 training boats.
Our junior section is growing rapidly, sailing Open Bics and Pelicans but we need a 2 handed boat for those who don’t want a single hander. Club is looking at Quests but finance is an issue at the moment.
Sabres are nice boats. They and Impulses have somewhat displaced Lasers as the single hander boats around this way.
I was talking to some of our 'graduates' (trainees who have regular skiff crewing gigs) about the idea of the meeting and how people were keen to hear from them about what got them committed to sailing.
A lot of what they then said sounded a lot like your third paragraph.
They raised the excitment issue, but also it was recognised that they had a gig ready for them to roll into - they didn't have to buy a boat or anything thing (even if a few eventually did), and that was an advantage of having a race fleet of two person boats needing crews.
They also raised the issue of constant communication from me (which I sometimes worry is too much). But they are delat with as individuals, not as a group. So if someone goes into 'radio silence' for a while, I drop them a note, making sure they're OK and still wanting to persue sailing rather than be deleated from the list.

Stanno

Sydney
@oztrack we're using Mirrors as a junior double hander at our club in Victoria. We've built a Minnow fleet from scratch over the last 7 years, and like you we needed a 2 handed boat for those that don't want a single hander. We started taking our old Mirror down and the kids loved it. Given the demographics of the club we needed an option with both new and second hand boats (many of our juniors are from non-sailing families, so need to ease them in gently with cheaper boats). Only other option was the International Cadet - good boat, but most second hand boats are sold within the 4 clubs that sail them so difficult to get hold of to build a new fleet.
Happy to share more about our experience if you want.
I'm very interested to hear more about your Sabre transition course - we're also a strong Sabre club, and we could do with something like this
Interesting that the traditional "Cadet Clubs" of Royal Melbourne, Royal Brighton, Sandy, King Island etc have gone over to RS Quests, race the Stonehaven Cup in Quests and now are the backbone of the new RS Quest Association ... https://www.rsquestaa.com/

toomanyboats

That is interesting @Stanno - I haven't been around as long so not aware of the which are the 'traditional' clubs. As far as I can tell Cadets are still going (reasonably...) strong at Royal Geelong, RYCV in Williamstown and Sandringham, and there were a fair few in the storage area at Metung when we were down there last summer.
I hadn't even realised there was an active RS Quest Association.

Stanno

Sydney
That is interesting @Stanno - I haven't been around as long so not aware of the which are the 'traditional' clubs. As far as I can tell Cadets are still going (reasonably...) strong at Royal Geelong, RYCV in Williamstown and Sandringham, and there were a fair few in the storage area at Metung when we were down there last summer.
I hadn't even realised there was an active RS Quest Association.
Interesting isn't it - I only found out about the Quest Association about three or four weeks ago when contacted by the RBYC delegate to discuss our Club coming down to the Stonehaven Cup at some point. We've had Quests for about 5 seasons now at HHSC and they are our workhorses!!

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
RS Quest is a nice boat...but at $22k each you'd need to be a major club to finance a training fleet. The Pacer, currently filling that niche, is half that price new...and has a large second hand market that could see a club buy 4 Pacers for the price of one RSQ...Our small club has 10 training pacers used by local school sailing programs during the week and by our kids & Adult learn to sail programs on a weekend...full utilization...financially cash positive...and most importantly, building our active membership...The stonehaven cup has a long history...but to be honest the "Royal" clubs on PPB have historically done their own thing...so updating from ancient Cadets (both kinds!) to RSQ's is a major step that has really ignored/leapfrogged other existing programs..IMHO.