"Dis is Sayula"

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
America Jane III. The best all around boat at the 1976 One Ton Worlds. A young Gary Weisman helped make it go. Lost to Resolute Salmon in the last race, in a light air downwind gibing dual at the finish after 300 miles of just about every condition. No one was sure who won at the finish (one of the marks, 100 miles offshore was rounded in the fog) until French Navy radar plots (interesting that they stationed a destroyer in the area) could confirm that all 50 boats rounded the big mark. Two boats were shown to make a beeline straight for the mark from 100 miles out when every other boat milled about looking for it. Come to find out that the mark had people stationed on it who radioed the mainland on a regular schedule. The two boats that made a beeline for it were French and had RDF. French manned the mark. French finished that race 1,2, their best series finish by allot. Local knowledge can be helpful.
The boat was owned for many years by one of my friends in the Houston area. I did several Harvest Moon Regatta on it.

I was told that the name was the nickname of one of the ancestors of the original owner: America Jane was a whore in San Francisco during the gold rush era. My friend got the mast painted red...

It might be urban legend, but I like it.

I believe the boat was sold to someone who intended to "sail south", never had the finances to maintain the boat and ended up somewhere in Cuba. The boat was apparently damaged during a hurricane season and is now abandoned/sunk somewhere in Cuba... Sad story.

Mainsheeter

I have my own Sayula II story.

I used to live in Mazatlan Mexico and had a IOR C&C38 named "Galapagos" that I used to club race. One day as I was solo sailing and leaving the marina's treacherous entrance channel, Sayula II was trying unsuccessfully to get a response from the Harbor Master at the marina. I responded, telling him that I had just left the marina and the office was closed, but if I could help in any way. He asked for water depth at the entrance channel for which I responded its depth. After a great day sailing, I was surprised to see Sayula II tied in the berth next to mine. A gentleman onboard recognized the name of my boat and thanked me for my assistance earlier that day; he invited me aboard for a rum. I accepted and that's where and how I met Ramon and was given a tour of Sayula II with a rum in hand.

I had no idea of her pedigree but was totally enthralled with the story; how he had bought her, how he put his crew together, the knockdown in the Southern Ocean and how after Swan refurbished her for free once he sailed her back to their shipyard, how he wanted the ceiling liner in the master stateroom to remain as-was to remind him of that knockdown. The liner was full of small holes made as the tool box opened and all the tools ended up on the ceiling. He also mentioned that the helm was bent by the body of the helmsman and was still hanging, as a "trophy" at the Swan headquarters.

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
Saw the movie last Friday evening in Newport Beach. Very well done. I really liked how the story was presented by each crew member. A real inside and personal look into the incredible adventure.

poncho

So Cal
You would have to go to the site and find out. I don't remember exactly what Bernardo said. If you all like and will follow, I will contact the producers and try to get a proposed schedule. I know its playing in Europe quite a bit.

Bcam

Super Anarchist
Union, WA
Speaking of Sails by Watts, here is a set of 1976 sails that came out of the bag for the first time last September. Sail bag was still tied shut.

20150926_190656361_iOS_zpsp6hr8nvu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

poncho

So Cal
Future dates for the movie!! Here ya go.

30 april Newport RI
23 and 25 may..seattle

there will be more in the future and even more in 2017

Christian

Super Anarchist
If I had to choose between Sayula and a VOR boat to sail around the world it would be Sayula, no contest.

The VOR boats seem to have trouble keeping their rigs standing and their keels attached just sailing while Sayula got rolled 360 (twice IIRC), came up intact and raced on to the win. Obviously she would be last by a matter of weeks, if not months now but I'll bet the crew would be a whole lot happier, rested, comfortable and well fed. :D
She would have kicked Vestas Wind's ass......
Well anything that made it around the marble would............................

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist

30 april Newport RI
23 and 25 may..seattle

When's it coming to Britain-land?

Or some sort of digital release? I want to see it!

sailingk8

Super Anarchist
The Swamp
Did they do a port call in Brisbane on that one? I have a memory from my childhood of a sailor from a big round the world race visiting with us briefly then finding out later that he was lost at sea.

Laser1

Super Anarchist
Westcountry
Did they do a port call in Brisbane on that one? I have a memory from my childhood of a sailor from a big round the world race visiting with us briefly then finding out later that he was lost at sea.
Leg Start Finish Leg winner Skipper 1 Portsmouth, England Cape Town, South Africa Sayula II Ramón Carlin 2 Cape Town, South Africa Sydney, Australia Pen Duick VI Éric Tabarly 3 Sydney, Australia Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Great Britain II Chay Blyth 4 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Portsmouth, England Sayula II Ramón Carlin

poncho

So Cal

30 april Newport RI
23 and 25 may..seattle

When's it coming to Britain-land?

Or some sort of digital release? I want to see it!
I know it's playing in Europe, Norway for sure and other. Best to contact Bernardo via the website/facebook.for more. They're not flying me to Europe much as I would love.

poncho

So Cal
And you do want to see it ! promise..Where are you in the UK? I lived in Lymington, and have spent a bunch of time at the Wolfson unit in Southampton.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
I know it's playing in Europe, Norway for sure and other. Best to contact Bernardo via the website/facebook.for more. They're not flying me to Europe much as I would love.
It looks like it was played once in a festival, in a really remote place - even for Norway. I hope they will let people watch it online, I'm sure there are hundreds and thousands of sailors who'd pay to watch it. I would.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
And you do want to see it ! promise..Where are you in the UK? I lived in Lymington, and have spent a bunch of time at the Wolfson unit in Southampton.
Essex and London - could easily organise yott club showings - could borrow a cinema come to that. Will look at arsebook and so on for ?Bernardo?

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest

30 april Newport RI
23 and 25 may..seattle

No Vancouver/Victoria venue Keith? Could put it together one of the clubs. If it was West Van the Victoria/Sidney guys could drive up to Nannymo and grab the ferry as walk-on's. Just a thought.

Latest posts