DIY Plath Merkur Compass repair?

I have a big old C. Plath Merkur compass that has leaked all the fluid. It surely needs the internal expansion diaphragm replaced before re-filling with the proper fluid. I have found a source for the needed part. 

But I'm wondering if the repair (opening up this compass and replacing the diaphragm)  is one that a mechanically-minded DIY-er can do? Any advice is appreciated.

719fNXqEg5L._SL1500_.jpg

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
Yes. No big deal. Disassemble very carefully. Look for factory sealant use. Judge screw tightness. Use new fluid, not some old can that has been laying around collecting moisture and gasses.

I found the expansion bellows listed in the Plath parts section at vikingcompass.com.

But I haven't ordered it yet. Still not sure if I want to do the job myself (disassemble the compass, replace the bellows and gaskets, re-assemble it, then refill). A compass repair person in MA quoted $450 + shipping. I'm checking a local (SF bay) guy also.

WW

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I found the expansion bellows listed in the Plath parts section at vikingcompass.com.

But I haven't ordered it yet. Still not sure if I want to do the job myself (disassemble the compass, replace the bellows and gaskets, re-assemble it, then refill). A compass repair person in MA quoted $450 + shipping. I'm checking a local (SF bay) guy also.

WW
AFAIK every port has multiple compass guys.

Ask around - I've never seen one advertise. I found one in my neighbourhood - about 1 kilometer from my house.