DIY Walker Bay 8 replacement rig

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
We've got a Walker Bay 8 we picked up after our last dinghy was stolen but it's missing most of the sail kit parts. Rather than spend the  1,500 CAD to buy a new kit I figured we could put our own together which may be cheaper and better as a side project despite having no idea what we're doing.

Thinking we would pick up some 1-1/2" or 2" aluminum tubing for a mast, add a boom, and purchase new blocks/lines for a mainsheet bridle, mainsheet, outhaul, cunningham/downhaul, and vang. I'd get a new sail made with a sleeve luff to fit over the mast in a cat rig configuration.

Some unanswered questions I can't seem to track down online:

Mast height: I'm thinking 14' in two sections but not sure how to join the sections together.

How to select a suitable gooseneck.

Is the Cat rig the right choice? Would a lug rig be easier?

Would we need to add stays?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Think of Sabot/El Toro/Opti rigs. All about 35-40 ft2 sail area and about right to replace your sail kit. (Walker Bay is 39 ft2). If you can find one that would be simple. WB Mast height specified is 14'8". Used windsurfing mast of about 4.5m if it has enough carbon?

Why do you need to break the mast in two sections? Stowage in your boat? Instead lash it vertically to a shroud.

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Too bad it wasn't found.

Aside from having contact info written right onto the hull, it's a good idea to take pics of anything unique to your boat - scratches and stains etc.  You could even add a phony patch.  I've also heard that some people will laminate a copy of their contact info and stash it somewhere out of sight.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
There is a seller in Seattle with a Gig Harbor Navigator 10 rig, board, and rudder.  His last update had the asking price at $700 -- steep, but not crazy.  I offered $600 a year ago and he didn't bite, but maybe he's ready now.

This is the link to the ad (you probably need to join the Facebook Group "Seattle Sailing Buy/Sell/Trade" to view it:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/seattle/?hoisted_items=458549358576147

I have the same boat and sailing rig.  It is a 2 part mast of around 2" in aluminum with two halyards.  Main is about 45sqft, jib is 28sqft (and probably not useful on your boat -- I'd probably buy it from you as a spare).  The seller has a kickup rudder which is why I was interested in buying it, my rudder is fixed.  Board and rudder are made out of G10.  Boom is spruce.  All of the hardware is good quality (I think it's all harken on my boat).

Last edited by a moderator:

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Think of Sabot/El Toro/Opti rigs. All about 35-40 ft2 sail area and about right to replace your sail kit. (Walker Bay is 39 ft2). If you can find one that would be simple. WB Mast height specified is 14'8". Used windsurfing mast of about 4.5m if it has enough carbon?

Why do you need to break the mast in two sections? Stowage in your boat? Instead lash it vertically to a shroud.
I thought about a windsurfing mast but the diameters were a bit too big for the step on the WB IIRC. I'll look into common un-stayed dinghy rigs.

Wanted to break it into two pieces to keep it in the dinghy or quarter berth.

Too bad it wasn't found.

Aside from having contact info written right onto the hull, it's a good idea to take pics of anything unique to your boat - scratches and stains etc.  You could even add a phony patch.  I've also heard that some people will laminate a copy of their contact info and stash it somewhere out of sight.
It was found by VPD and we got it back but it was completely mangled... They ripped the floor out instead of properly disassembling it and reinstalled it by screwing a 1" think chunk of plywood under it. They also duct taped the entire bottom and re-rigged the painter/bridle with climbing rope and knots... Didn't get the outboard and other accessories back.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
@Leeroy Jenkins

73DlHMAFCHvCmZoRCxvJWzNis7l-biCn_8u5TR14c8XhOXFJGRW8FNUuTk8GAoYSEAcWucJses2iHWwqZbgvj9vE2BDHKxgMroiOrTvTrJZraxnhze4Ty3iIFPPoZgGqPFKsyaKY4tRHajWrXqL9yU6dKlBkyS8TB1G4m47BRBPElhmbrI5o3q5Lxwytvt1a46oOtQauuSbaJKO5fmA8xHNe6HCUoNnxYqL8hzWXUFAvDsNgW3rPTn7Bai1DFIVGU_F2xPxlKEaC5Ox_KrGKnmvg5nW9_oDwkK0ZDwjAaKdRKzt5-0IO7tbjj_BHwDqew6PKiLRLkaG3enryUfV7nbNyfPo9OjXBoW-dnx8FyOL0-olQoxT8YLulG67rjT7fqH49SR9f7N4sZDAkqzYes8mkV9v9XXIwOq0G2Eob3AhxLw9vTIqHFTihT6uDWiZZk_ha0kBgq9ZOwWVc13yIfd-8maNx6net5xw4zFfrgzCD0e4asbC51xLV_L7C4gfS4ZPD9C2F28dZvhUhP7Mmd0XiNrI414VuDWOkIgqghobj5bWuZo5LuTL-mPugspWG1TI3tHTbHxTO8ku7Vya5Gp-AnSh74ZXtZ-qOyTqM-Kmm3KrLcg3KFKhBQJ-NBPZPVsoikzbkmxf2a_RB_fWdNvd2uSnSfL6pBPNW7WVyHRBhR8ytrGo5e8oKr7IePaoNatReCl0jQopoEKUeYeJpVF9o=w758-h1009-no

_QiEjRoqPaeHVN-LlXelUJ65DJRK3KqN971t5vjP1Xof7y1CrqnC5JdnWI13UDzChWJRzinj8QLE5KLcFHheXNzdZ2sMa--Vfa2jsdno5aZw0xL8mn982-0LzKMjgwXeKWTBYqZNkNcG02rfIzGCvatt56GuRKfG0k53qeYhBP-JlKz2drC9uxyy4FkJrW5ts0tNsZqrNo3fEDOBaLaDNqhUoxKe6Q04_rxoILJ8ym7JUqWm_g_K_u0Kgh83pNYLqQUIjrxhvpHTgI06SNrVIKLLxRBsVTJtwU9a5VFHR0ETNqo4bnqxuO-Ds-3NaSVcopkltCUg9DYhd70dbCMPqR6QrnVqntVTJmuMTzDyIXdTPgB0Zz2rgAfi-HGLXD4wrRXaUXQX_N2ulOdftOG7aaBzZZDEUPSBzfoCHwUADJwn48EIevHwsQu1U_4l582zejDMlaXoMaRUxpq1DgB6TaZT1mUURL0wiXzL8qaEc0WGIrqEcjlAMTi8mQ1gLyXNuiMB63aeH5dttlV65WcmLF-LwgdBGaHnBEBq0Ay7bg7y6d27GqKvRvanPlQ5MLfowTcnAOfBH7SLmJZi9ALoub1OOZvs-CTDRoWK7LMOe3Q1ouMeROba9Hn2w8S6zilFvlDKYXUz1aEEXWH4r4dyCPkZ24dIMFTBPZ9dmeOSMW643qY5Fj8y49bjJJBZpYclTQYZvVwvEWT0dawzr_hk_n3D=w758-h1009-no

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Gig Harbor rig has two shrouds (no spreaders).  I had a previous version of this boat without and the shrouds do help a lot, 16 feet of 2" mast is pretty flexy.

They just tie into cleats mounted at the gunwale a little aft of the mast step -- easy to add to other boats.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Thanks @Panope, We've got the board and rudder for the WB but I'd look at buying the rig & sail if you're willing to split it up.

Once the border is open I'll be going to Seattle to visit family and will PM/email you.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Fun project but manage expectations about going to weather. In optimal conditions you’ll peak at 3 knots, 60 degrees with a 1.5 knot VMG. 

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
It was found by VPD and we got it back but it was completely mangled... They ripped the floor out instead of properly disassembling it and reinstalled it by screwing a 1" think chunk of plywood under it. They also duct taped the entire bottom and re-rigged the painter/bridle with climbing rope and knots... Didn't get the outboard and other accessories back.
Jeebus,  I wonder if it was a disguise or if they added 10 years of abuse in just a couple of months.  

On the plus side, VPD did find it.  Any idea where?  Tied to one of the "locals" or washed up somewhere?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Mast height: I'm thinking 14' in two sections but not sure how to join the sections together.
When I needed to join two parts of a mat like that, I found a bloke with a lathe who had made window frames in the Celtic Tiger era.  

He took an offcut of hardwood window frame, and his lathe turned it in to joiner for my two pieces of aluminium tube.  He was a lovely man, pleased to restart his machine, and i had push him a bit to get him to reluctantly to €20 for his work.

Just make the joiner decently long, and taper its ends so that you don't create hard points.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
2” hardwood dowel from any lumber yard 

Very conservative rule of thumb is 10x diameters past join, so 40” total. I’d use 3 ft. 

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Jeebus,  I wonder if it was a disguise or if they added 10 years of abuse in just a couple of months.  

On the plus side, VPD did find it.  Any idea where?  Tied to one of the "locals" or washed up somewhere?
I would assume it was a disguise. They didn't tell me where they found it but the constable who left us voicemails (we were in the Discovery Islands) first had it at their dock in False Creek before moving it to their depot in East Van.

Check around for carbon windsurfer masts, they have a smaller diameter than the plain glass ones and will fit the hole in the WB thwart. I found one that fit, made a simple flat sail (parachute cloth with a sleeve of light packcloth) to slide over the spar. Used a wooden rudder and centerboard a friend had found in a garage. No blocks or anything - just made a bridle using the two stern holes with a loop in the middle, ran the 'mainsheet' thru that loop, and was out sailing. Performance (if you could call it that ;) ) was about as predicted above, but it was simple, cheap, and quick and easy to make.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I almost hate to admit this, because I am a horrible packrat...but I have a WB8 mast in my shop that I am not using. We could talk.