do big race boats depreciate?

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Build cost reflects time and design and time of workers. 

Current value factors in how much future investments are needed to make it work. 

CQS probably needs to come with a lump some payment to the next owner  :(

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
It's well documented in these forums that it's not the initial cost of used big race boats as you call them.  It's the ongoing maintenance and upkeep that's the killer.

Think of it on a smaller scale, you can get into a used J/35 for a pretty good price.  Or say a brand new 35 footer of your choice for a lot more money.  Either way you're spending the same on storage, sails, regatta entries, etc...

gspot

Anarchist
Victoria, BC
I think there's another factor at play as well, which is also apparent with luxury yachts, cars, and houses.

The rich people who can generally afford these things don't want somebody else's second hand crap - they want the latest and greatest showpiece.

And the 99% of us who would be just fine with one of these "hand-me-downs" don't have enough money to keep the dream alive. 

C. Spackler

Boat
Not to get political, but this is a prime example of the wealth inequality gap. Once the .01% have moved on, it's a big drop to the common guy.  

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
I think there's another factor at play as well, which is also apparent with luxury yachts, cars, and houses.

The rich people who can generally afford these things don't want somebody else's second hand crap - they want the latest and greatest showpiece.

And the 99% of us who would be just fine with one of these "hand-me-downs" don't have enough money to keep the dream alive. 
That is the perfect definition of Sailboat Racing.

Yea, 8 mil for a boat that last....not that long? I'd be happy with a J 70 and race in SB.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
That is the perfect definition of Sailboat Racing.

Yea, 8 mil for a boat that last....not that long? I'd be happy with a J 70 and race in SB.
Hence why all events that are healthy encourage halo projects but also love IRC2-3 entrants. You need critical mass not just line honors. 

guerdon

Anarchist
C.  as a. common guy who used to work with the. 01%,  I was glad to have them there.   If I was a "planner" or a '"social worker" I would be taking that money and using it for the common political good.   We would be racing Optimists that were owned by the motherland and If you didn't win, and couldn't defect, you would. be sent back until your. mind was right.  Capitalism is messy, that's what makes it fun.

'

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Not to get political, but this is a prime example of the wealth inequality gap. Once the .01% have moved on, it's a big drop to the common guy.  
But you did get political.

It's funny to me because there's many people in this world who would think that someone who owns and races a Cal 25 has to be about a wealthy a person as it gets.

The reality is, in a world view, if you enjoy the sport of sailing and have the means to read and post to this forum you ARE THE %.01

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
This may be a record

Ragamuffin 2004 90'. Cost over $8 million US to build now $85,000.
Yup 

i know  one that was listed at 1.2 million , then 850 k , presently 500 k

good boat, no offers 

it will probably go for 250k

in general racers , racer cruisers are a very poor investment 

Last edited by a moderator:

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist

But you did get political.

It's funny to me because there's many people in this world who would think that someone who owns and races a Cal 25 has to be about a wealthy a person as it gets.

The reality is, in a world view, if you enjoy the sport of sailing and have the means to read and post to this forum you ARE THE %.01
That is about what it's like here in Cali. The State and Local Governments think that if you own a boat, you have too much spare $$$.

I'm sitting in my wheelchair and chat with someone and tell them I have a boat. You can see their eyes go wide thinking a yacht. Then I tell them it's only a 26' sailboat. They still think big. Most people have no concept of boating other than floating down a river.

But the original post is basically how I got my boat. in the 80's it was probably 14 to 16K new wo/sails. Over the years it passed hands and sat and sat. Someone bought it and raced it again, then PHRF hammered the rating because good sailors on a good boat win races. The boat sat and sat. I got it for 4k, dumped my $$$ and heart into it. I replaced enough, along  with new sails to be around the original 16K mark, which is nothing compared to new boats.

adrianl

And small race boats depreciate and mid size race boats depreciate  - ask a Swan 42, or C&C 99 or Farr 400 onwer - - they all do as the latest shiny object comes to the market....

guerdon

Anarchist
Back in Realville,  class envy. is used by the virus, to use the energy of the floaters to continue propagation.   Sales tax+property tax+property tax on the slip you don't own+parking [email protected]% ongoing cost that goes. into the "general fund". It has reached. the point where the parasitic fees have exceeded the depreciation of the vessel ,so that your wonderful boat is looked upon as a liability.   Most. of this didn't happen in the 60s,  so the market was broader.

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
Small boats seem to have some bright spots. I bought my J-88 new in 2015 for $120,000. no sails or electronics and sold it for $120, a few months ago. So the cost of all the sails trailers and electronics was the depreciation. $40,000. +/-.Not bad after 5 years of racing.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
So only a finite number of people in this world can afford to build, maintain and operate mega yachts / huge racing vessels.  This number is constant.

This number doesn't change if an owner decides to sell (or even giveaway) a yacht and build another.

So it stands to reason that people who can suddenly afford to maintain and operate these yachts would come out of the woodwork, no matter how much the price drops for the cost of the boat.

Last edited by a moderator: