Do J-sprits (Bow-sprits) ever snap?

Was looking at getting a 105 or 109, but was just wondering if you bury the bow in a wave, or have a big broach, is the bow sprit likely to break?

Ok I know with enough force anything will break, but just wondering if it's a frequent occurance on J-sprit boats?

Thanks.

blackbird

The sprits on j boats tend to be overbuilt, but we did see two break at the J/80 Worlds. I imagine you're pretty sfe; the sprit on my 11-year old boat held up fine.

left hook

Super Anarchist
I remember a fairly humorous anecdote posted by KRC about doing a windy race on a J/120:

As I was getting ready to untie the lazy jib sheet, the shit hit the fan. I had one hand on the leeward shrouds, when I heard sort of a "whump" and the whole rig shook in a rather disturbing manner. My first thought was that the rig was coming down and that I needed to get the fark out of the way. When it became apparent that this was not the case, I began looking around. What the hell just broke? I turned around to face forward, and immediately noticed the tackline was no longer leading out to the end of the sprit. Instead, it was going out to leeward and up. A very unusual angle for a tackline. Then, an odd sort of object came sliding down the tackline on a block. It was the forward 6 inches of the bowsprit.
Draw from that what you will.

hart

Was looking at getting a 105 or 109, but was just wondering if you bury the bow in a wave, or have a big broach, is the bow sprit likely to break?

Ok I know with enough force anything will break, but just wondering if it's a frequent occurance on J-sprit boats?

Thanks.
it's always worth fitting a bobstay on the larger boats with bgger loads......they help.

B-Slick

Had and J105 and now we have a j109. If no OD in area the 109 gets my vote.

About 8 years ago we did a distance race on our J105. Rough sea and wind consistent over 30 knots on a tight reach. The sprit was flexing 8" to 12" bow was buried on every wave for 5 hours. If it was going to snap that would have been the day.

From the Helm

Anarchist
Michigan
I blew the end fitting out of my J/130 twice when the boat was new, fixed it right the second time, now I trust it in stupid loading. We stuff the thing into waves, and wipe out in spectacular fashion occasionally, I've been amazed that thing doesn't break. The 105 people I know have never broken a pole without sticking it into something (like a dock). I watched a J/125 destroy the pushpit, wheel, stanchions, and asundry bits on a Tripp 40 at a particularly ugly mark rounding, the 125 sprit was fine...wow. The failure point on the 130 sprit was just the backing "plate" on the pad-eye, beefed it up and no more problems.

proOC

Anarchist
Have raced all kinds of J's, sprit's and standard.

I have never seen a 105 sprit snap. I have been around them for 10+ years and have tortured the hell out of our kites, setting it in 30+ kts and it flexes like a rubberband, but never snapped. In our NA's 2 yrs. ago our tack patch blew out,...yes the re-enforced lower triangle of the spinnaker blew out but that darn sprit was kept in tack...no pun intended!

One thing to watch, with flexion in the pole comes possible gaps in the seal around the thru hole. We have had to re-gasket and seal the aperture around the sprit hole a couple of times, but it was a quick and dry fix welcomed by anyone that slept in the forepeak while sailing or at port.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Damn I love sailing...!!!!

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I've seen one in 8 years of J105 racing. I think it was Donkey Jack in the 2007 (?) BBS. I have no idea whether it was damaged prior to the break.

Christian

Super Anarchist
Had and J105 and now we have a j109. If no OD in area the 109 gets my vote.

About 8 years ago we did a distance race on our J105. Rough sea and wind consistent over 30 knots on a tight reach. The sprit was flexing 8" to 12" bow was buried on every wave for 5 hours. If it was going to snap that would have been the day.

Yeah - that sounds totally believeable......

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Super Anarchist
New England
j109 said:
Have seen poles break when you shove them through others pushpits etc. Not sure if that is how the one at the UK J/109 Nationals broke. Know J/105s which have broken them by sticking them where they do not belong!! I would not be worried about pole breaking.
There is a reason why both Class Rules require the sprit not be extended until after passing the windward mark, and retracted immediately after rounding the leeward mark.

cariguy

Anarchist
Detroit
Never happens

bowsprit.jpg

sign.jpg

Super Anarchist
It is relatively simple to design in a robust factor of safety in a sprit. The J/Boats designs are likely very robust at the sprit.

However, the designer has very little (real) control over manufacturing quality in a contract manufacturing situation.

Having 2 sprits fail in one regatta is a signal that the contract manufacturing process isn't robust.

j109

UK
Sailed both boats in addition to many others. Agree if no one design that the J/109 would be my choice although the 105 is a lot of fun.

With regard to sprits we have had kites up on both boats in 40+knots and pole was fine. In less extreme conditions we have had some spectacular broaches (particularly in the 109), fallen off waves and all ok. Have seen poles break when you shove them through others pushpits etc. Not sure if that is how the one at the UK J/109 Nationals broke. Know both J/105s and J/109s which have broken them by sticking them where they do not belong!! One J/109 broke a pole this year but it was 8 years old and sailed hard.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris

Thanks.
Rarely break one inshore racing (excluding collisions - UK Nats example above was a 30 knot event) but probably see one or max two break a season offshore - scenario is boat accelerates down wave in heavy air (25+) and with sterrn lifted pole burries. It's typically the force of the water on the tack of the kite that breaks the pole. The pure force of water on pole alone will not break it ( it does bend a bit which is why a few owners fit a bob stay). I've sailed 92/105/109 for 13 years buried the bow quite a bit in those conditions but not had one break, have had other owners break theirs on same offshore races though. The poles are laid up by hand so are not created equal. Most stuff on J boats is well built to stand abuse, you'll not break the pole by broaching.

Bottom line is don't worry about it, if it breaks you've been a bit unlucky.

PM me if you want to chat about 105 v 109, my 109 is for sale but I'll give you an unbiased assesment of the options. I owned my 105 for 6 years.

Happy Christmas (family watching some dodgy movie on TV so I'm on SA !)

Last edited by a moderator:

hart

Thanks.
Rarely break one inshore racing (excluding collisions - UK Nats example above was a 30 knot event) but probably see one or max two break a season offshore - scenario is boat accelerates down wave in heavy air (25+) and with sterrn lifted pole burries. It's typically the force of the water on the tack of the kite that breaks the pole. The pure force of water on pole alone will not break it ( it does bend a bit which is why a few owners fit a bob stay). I've sailed 92/105/109 for 13 years buried the bow quite a bit in those conditions but not had one break, have had other owners break theirs on same offshore races though. The poles are laid up by hand so are not created equal. Most stuff on J boats is well built to stand abuse, you'll not break the pole by broaching.

Bottom line is don't worry about it, if it breaks you've been a bit unlucky.

PM me if you want to chat about 105 v 109, my 109 is for sale but I'll give you an unbiased assesment of the options. I owned my 105 for 6 years.

Happy Christmas (family watching some dodgy movie on TV so I'm on SA !)
we did wonder why.....!