Do J-sprits (Bow-sprits) ever snap?

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
Would the 109 really be the preferred boat in the Poole Solent area over the 105? IIRC from when I lived and sailed over there the two fleets were similar in size but maybe that's changed or I'm mistaken. I guess for the UK conditions and dual purpose ability I can see that but I'd prefer the 105 although I've never sailed on a 109 just for inshore racing although i guess the 109 has a comfort advantage offshore especially over there since it's cold all the time.

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK
a 109 is ace for the solent and I've seen two snap in heavy conditions when broached. Get a bobstay - you'll feel better in 30kn+.

Seeing the 111 pole flex... crikey !

J

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
That's interesting... Any ideas why? The 105 seems to me like the better performing boats from a fun/dollar or fun/kg point of view... i guess one of the differences between the US and UK is there more interest in really using a dual purpose for the dual purposes as well as more offshore racing... or is it just matter that the 105s are getting dispersed throughout the country/getting worn out? how much do you reckon a decent 105 would go for now?

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK
The loads are bigger for the 109, so when she stops and flogs, the prodder gets some serious stick.

Sail it with all the feces in correct alignment, then all will be well...

J

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
That's interesting... Any ideas why? The 105 seems to me like the better performing boats from a fun/dollar or fun/kg point of view... i guess one of the differences between the US and UK is there more interest in really using a dual purpose for the dual purposes as well as more offshore racing... or is it just matter that the 105s are getting dispersed throughout the country/getting worn out? how much do you reckon a decent 105 would go for now?
As you say. The 109 has been much more successful, it was designed for the European market that means it has usable cruising headroom and a very good IRC rating, on the water in UK and Ireland I'd guess 300 109's vs 30 105's. I've owned both and the 105 is a nicer boat to sail and costs less. However, cruising and spending non-racing time on the 109 is fun and European buyers like that.

105's can be had from £40 to £125 typically, 109's £100-£175

For what it's worth I wished they'd launched the 111 before the 109 as we'd have a huge fleet of them now and they are great boats

j109

UK
UK & Ireland - 100 109s, 25 105s.

109 designed for IRC, 105 struggles. Basically weight to length ratio. 109 is approx 2 tonnes heavier and only 24cm longer.

105 loads of fun in breeze, 109 needs a bit more practice to gybe.

secondhand - approx 50-60k for 105, 100-150k 109.

Sailed both boats and not had a problem with bowsprit and we have had fair share of broaches.

Check out www.keyyachting.com

pjrs

Would the 109 really be the preferred boat in the Poole Solent area over the 105? IIRC from when I lived and sailed over there the two fleets were similar in size but maybe that's changed or I'm mistaken. I guess for the UK conditions and dual purpose ability I can see that but I'd prefer the 105 although I've never sailed on a 109 just for inshore racing although i guess the 109 has a comfort advantage offshore especially over there since it's cold all the time.
105 fleet has fallen in numbers in recent years. A number of the 105 sailors have gone over to the 109, J-dream, who have moved a class again and Fay-J are examples that spring to mind, I'm sure there are more.

J109 is way better on IRC w/l, which gives a lot more opportunities for competitive racing. There's also the chance for 25/30 boat OD at the nationals and 10/15 boats for most other events. This may have peaked though IMHO. I think 4 of the top 5 at the last nationals have moved on.

J105 is the way better offshore boat, on account of less beating and runs, it's also very handy for shorthanded stuff. 105 may well be more comfortable as its not falling over all the time, which the 109 starts to do in any big breeze from the side.

Only time I've seen a sprit on the 109 snap is when it's been stuffed into the side of another boat. Had lots of broaches(both ways) with no issue - I guess it should be thought of as a safety buffer, kind of like wing mirrors for London driving
biggrin.gif