Do Libertarians Still Exist?

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
If the creative well has run dry, here's some of the more common retread critiques.  Always good for a quick dopamine hit.

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/article/tgif-tackling-straw-men-easier-critiquing-libertarianism/

https://reason.com/2015/03/15/another-left-wing-libertarian-straw-man/

image.png

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
You'll probably find that libertarians are poorly thought of, that is one of the posture's attractions, victimization, and that Tom is seen as an example rather than an exception. We all have decades of experience with libertarians by now.

But perhaps we have some common ground here after all. I think Tom is a Fakebertarian, that he is trolling a false narrative of his 'libertarian' beliefs and that like Rand Paul, that he's actually just a garden variety conservative. Now a strawman is really not far from trolling. A strawman would be me mischaracterizing Tom's arguments. Trolling would be him mischaracterizing his beliefs. These are really not that different, well, except for the who's doing the what.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
You'll probably find that libertarians are poorly thought of, that is one of the posture's attractions, victimization, and that Tom is seen as an example rather than an exception. We all have decades of experience with libertarians by now.

But perhaps we have some common ground here after all. I think Tom is a Fakebertarian, that he is trolling a false narrative of his 'libertarian' beliefs and that like Rand Paul, that he's actually just a garden variety conservative. Now a strawman is really not far from trolling. A strawman would be me mischaracterizing Tom's arguments. Trolling would be him mischaracterizing his beliefs. These are really not that different, well, except for the who's doing the what.
A very clever trick I'm performing for some reason, I guess. Can you let me in on the reason?

Rand Paul isn't much of a libertarian, though he has voted against Trump's wishes more than just about any TeamR Senator. The most libertarian thing about him is his opposition to drug war looting.

I notice you don't want to talk about the only Libertarian to ever serve in Congress and how he reliably voted to impeach Trump.

I'm still eagerly anticipating Garland coming around to the libertarian point of view shared by Rand Paul, Justin Amash, and me that drug war looting is bad.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:19 AM, Olsonist said:
BTW, as per civil forfeiture, yeah I disagree with the policy Biden/Garland that inherited from your boy Shitstain. Your boy rescinded the Obama/Holder's rollbacks (rollbacks, because conservatives in Congress ain't a gonna rollback that law that Biden voted for which passed the Senate 100-0). But I'm beginning to see a pattern here Tom.

Attorney General Eric Holder curtailed use of the practice in the Obama administration, but Attorney General Jeff Sessions restored it under President Donald Trump. Though Attorney General Merrick Garland has rolled back many Trump-era changes at the Justice Department, he has not taken action on asset forfeiture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/stephen-lara-nevada-asset-forfeiture-adoption/2021/09/01/6f170932-06ae-11ec-8c3f-3526f81b233b_story.html
Expand  

"Curtailed" means "cut back to where it was under W, before forfeitures skyrocketed under Obama."

Which was still a problem! Yes, Sessions made it worse, a tradition for him as it is for Biden on that issue.

But he's not going to reverse what Sessions did because that would be reversing Biden's legacy, same reason Biden won't fulfill his campaign promise to pardon non-violent drug war prisoners.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Tom is not a member of the Duopoly. He's non-binary, although he really does look a lot more like one than the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Another effort to demonstrate that you know less than a know-nothing?

I should send you my tax bills.
I should send you a dictionary

- DSK
You might want to first copy the pages containing refuse and contribute, since you obviously don't understand one or both of those. By the way, they made me Vice President of the Charlotte Harbor Community Sailing Center the other day, just one of the charities to which I "refuse to contribute" in your ignorant view.