do you think the melges 14 will catch on?

bait

Whether you are a fan of the Aero or not, great to see them stand behind their product and be transparent about the issue. 

Port Wine

Here
Yes this was certainly unfortunate but the failure rate of 3 out of 2300+ isn't too shabby. 

2 of those happened in the U.S.

Both times this happened in the U.S. we replaced the hulls and in both cases it wasn't related to this quality issue or others.  These are the only hull integrity issues I've had with the RS Aero North America, and we really did the best we could to support these customers, I'd say their happy!

We learned that the issue was related to not gluing the transom screws in well enough, when they loosened they torqued that area around and this was the result.  
I sailed both the M14 and the Aero. Liked both, but would buy the M14 because it felt more comfortable to me. Regardless of my preference, I am extremely happy both are selling well.

Yeah, that's the price of a new one, but the road trailer is the extra bonus.

Was it too much $ for him or too much physically?

I've read that they are easy to depower. Anyone have experience with how physical the boat it? Say compared to a Laser or Finn?

vox

Yeah, that's the price of a new one, but the road trailer is the extra bonus.

Was it too much $ for him or too much physically?

I've read that they are easy to depower. Anyone have experience with how physical the boat it? Say compared to a Laser or Finn?
He's older, but I think if he went to a smaller rig he'd have been fine. I find it easier to depower than a Laser, but if you don't pull the strings you've got a pretty powerful sail on your hands. When I first started sailing the Laser I had a day that kicked my ass so hard I questioned seriously if I was done with it. Fortunately I got over that and figured it out. I think he had a similar experience in Sarasota but went the other direction. I wish he'd give it another go, but I get where he's coming from. I believe the boat has been sailed a couple times. 

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Questions:

1) So what is the cost on the 'Fall discount promo'?

2) Are there any DPN numbers between the M14 and RS Aero?

I know buy the boat that has the active OD fleet in your area. Which is the Laser for the Chesapeake. Neither the M14 or RS Aero has made any significant inroads in our area, unfortunately!

So not sure I am in the market yet but boy does a modern boat with a self draining cockpit have a lot of appeal! Hey I can always use one more boat! LOL

Port Wine

Here
Questions:

1) So what is the cost on the 'Fall discount promo'?

2) Are there any DPN numbers between the M14 and RS Aero?

I know buy the boat that has the active OD fleet in your area. Which is the Laser for the Chesapeake. Neither the M14 or RS Aero has made any significant inroads in our area, unfortunately!

So not sure I am in the market yet but boy does a modern boat with a self draining cockpit have a lot of appeal! Hey I can always use one more boat! LOL
Fall discount is $250 for the boat and 10% accessories.

Aero dpns are 86.3 (9 rig) and 88.7 (7 rig). The only handicap I found for the M14 is Privateer Yacht Club: 87.8 (Gold) and 88.2 (Blue)

http://www.privateeryachtclub.org/files/Dinghy/2018/Race%201.pdf

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
OK $250 but off of how much??? I assume there will be reps for the Melges and RS Aero at the Annapolis show. So I can check them out then.

Seems like the RS Aero DPN number is a little more established??? Melges might have some more moving around??? But looks obvious both are significantly faster than the Laser/Laser Radial.

If those numbers for the Aero are close that is impressive for a single sail non trap boat.

My Buccaneer is 86.9

Lightning is 87

Port Wine

Here
OK $250 but off of how much??? I assume there will be reps for the Melges and RS Aero at the Annapolis show. So I can check them out then.

Seems like the RS Aero DPN number is a little more established??? Melges might have some more moving around??? But looks obvious both are significantly faster than the Laser/Laser Radial.

If those numbers for the Aero are close that is impressive for a single sail non trap boat.

My Buccaneer is 86.9

Lightning is 87
https://melges.com/_pdf/(M14)-Melges14-Pricesheet.pdf

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Thanks! I was just on their web site and missed that.

Sorry I was being lazy!

Sail prices seems reasonable for what they are compared to a Laser. And please don't start a Laser sail price debate on this thread, lots of threads for that. Just an observation. The dolly for $525 is a good deal. Boat is a little more pricey than the RS Aero as has been noted.

Laser is still significantly less money but it's a lot of old technology in spars and hull build.

All that matters in the end is which boat is raced near you ( or a reasonable distance for driving ) and which boat will accommodate you physically. Merges 14 is better for bigger and heavier racers. Happy Sailing!