do you think the melges 14 will catch on?

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
All that matters in the end is which boat is raced near you ( or a reasonable distance for driving ) and which boat will accommodate you physically. Merges 14 is better for bigger and heavier racers. Happy Sailing!
For racing I could not agree with you more! Not selling my Laser as long as there is good local OD racing.

What I am looking for is a more rewarding sailing experience for day sailing. And if there is some local OD racing that is even better.

My Buccaneer is a wonderful sailing boat but at 18' and 500 lbs. she is kinda of a PITA to launch and recover alone. Not to mention for me at 165 lbs. in over 10 knots she is way overpowered and no way could I recover from a capsize alone. So it's a pretty narrow wind window to take her out alone.

So when I can't find crew or just want to sail alone I am looking for something faster, more rewarding, more comfortable than my Laser. Probably either boat fits that bill. And if that boat makes some inroads to the OD racing scene even better.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Neither boat appears to be lighting it up in the US - at least not according to published race results. 
I got the impression that both boats had decent turnouts at their FL regattas this past Winter??? I will have to go look that up...

A lot is riding on what boat is chosen for Paris 2024. Yes it's a very small percentage of sailors that sail at that level but the pass down of used boats can be a big factor and I think that is what it is going to take to dethrone the Laser. We have a 1996 Atlanta Laser at our club for example.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
I got the impression that both boats had decent turnouts at their FL regattas this past Winter??? I will have to go look that up...

A lot is riding on what boat is chosen for Paris 2024. Yes it's a very small percentage of sailors that sail at that level but the pass down of used boats can be a big factor and I think that is what it is going to take to dethrone the Laser. We have a 1996 Atlanta Laser at our club for example.
Yes - the Melges 14 and the RS Aero both had about 25 boats at their Midwinters in Florida this year.

Decent but not outstanding.

Long way to go to "dethrone" the Laser, whatever that means.

But I don't think the people sailing the Melges 14 and RS Aero really care about dethroning the Laser. Speaking purely for myself I am enjoying sailing a more modern boat than the Laser and am pleased to see a good RS Aero regatta circuit developing locally (New England) and internationally. If others are having fun sailing Melges 14s or Devoti D-Zeros or VX Evos or Lasers or Force 5s or Sunfish then good luck to them. There's room for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mystique

For racing I could not agree with you more! Not selling my Laser as long as there is good local OD racing.

What I am looking for is a more rewarding sailing experience for day sailing. And if there is some local OD racing that is even better.

My Buccaneer is a wonderful sailing boat but at 18' and 500 lbs. she is kinda of a PITA to launch and recover alone. Not to mention for me at 165 lbs. in over 10 knots she is way overpowered and no way could I recover from a capsize alone. So it's a pretty narrow wind window to take her out alone.

So when I can't find crew or just want to sail alone I am looking for something faster, more rewarding, more comfortable than my Laser. Probably either boat fits that bill. And if that boat makes some inroads to the OD racing scene even better.
i'm pretty sure there's a melges 14 fleet in norfolk, virginia. maybe that's near you?

the guys at melges are pretty good about offering demos and regatta charters. i know there's a form somewhere on the melges 14 website www.melges14.com 

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
RS has built close to 3000 Aeros (I think it's 2700 or so last I heard).
I know we've sold ~130 just on the West Coast of the US

My guess is there are around 300-350 Aeros in the US at this time.

The biggest fleet I know of is in Seattle with 30+ Aeros.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Yes - the Melges 14 and the RS Aero both had about 25 boats at their Midwinters in Florida this year.

Decent but not outstanding.

Long way to go to "dethrone" the Laser, whatever that means.

But I don't think the people sailing the Melges 14 and RS Aero really care about dethroning the Laser. Speaking purely for myself I am enjoying sailing a more modern boat than the Laser and am pleased to see a good RS Aero regatta circuit developing locally (New England) and internationally. If others are having fun sailing Melges 14s or Devoti D-Zeros or VX Evos or Lasers or Force 5s or Sunfish then good luck to them. There's room for everyone.
That was not my point. Agree that most people racing in the M14 or RS Aero class don't have it out for the Laser and wish demise or to dethrone the boat as the largest single handed dinghy class in the world. BUT you can bet your ass that the folks at Melges and RS Aero sure want to! My point was winning the bid for the boat in the Paris 2024 Olympics is going to be a huge step up for one of those companies if they can win it. Winning that bid still will not have you pass the Laser any time soon in the number of boats that are racing as there are SO many Lasers out there. But it probably will put you #1 for new boat sales. It's a big deal for these companies.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
i'm pretty sure there's a melges 14 fleet in norfolk, virginia. maybe that's near you?

the guys at melges are pretty good about offering demos and regatta charters. i know there's a form somewhere on the melges 14 website www.melges14.com 
That's news to me. Hampton, Norfolk, VA Beach is about 3.5-4 hours away.

Hampton Yacht Club is the most active down there in the racing scene. Just checked their web site and did not see the Melges 14 mentioned. Of course that does not mean they don't have a fleet building there.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
RS has built close to 3000 Aeros (I think it's 2700 or so last I heard).
I know we've sold ~130 just on the West Coast of the US

My guess is there are around 300-350 Aeros in the US at this time.

The biggest fleet I know of is in Seattle with 30+ Aeros.
Thanks WestCoast for that data.

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
I have no idea what anybody's expectations were. I guess a "game changer" would have been some people's dreams, and that isn't evident - at least not yet. And these are two wonderful looking boats which tick most boxes. Tough business.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
An interesting metric would be annual sales (global, regional, specific country) of new M14, Aero, Laser, D-zero and, for good measure, Finn. 
That would be interesting!

Well here in the US for 2018 I would guess:

1) Laser

2) RS Aero

3) M14

4) D-zero

5) Finn

I have never seen a D-zero in real life. But I put it above the Finn as I have NEVER even heard of anybody buying a new Finn. I guy used to have one at our club. Years ago, not sure what he did with it. I don't know if I ever saw it sailing??? In fact I think I have ever seen one sailing! LOL

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
That would be interesting!

Well here in the US for 2018 I would guess:

1) Laser

2) RS Aero

3) M14

4) D-zero

5) Finn

I have never seen a D-zero in real life. But I put it above the Finn as I have NEVER even heard of anybody buying a new Finn. I guy used to have one at our club. Years ago, not sure what he did with it. I don't know if I ever saw it sailing??? In fact I think I have ever seen one sailing! LOL
If being in the Olympics is such a big deal, why aren't more people buying new Finns?

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
If being in the Olympics is such a big deal, why aren't more people buying new Finns?
4ZFAdHV9C2ts-RurrCLe84hFBBHepW1-8f8JLG1MX-Y-O0kZ8i1uxsqaQF-mGbvIXBhKY9ua8ZjDyLabqKgQyv0oHM9R1CBIT8ghS2RFdU7ELgEZSKnT_j4oq8oRJDSWjh7IJ064CK6S9dmuCYk28dDyc698RvWYNOY9P40=s0-d-e1-ft

This is why!

1) You have to be a monster to sail a Finn! Dudes are jacked! Need to be 210-220 lbs. and not eat fast food all the time 210-220 lbs. Like professional athlete 210. And people think the Laser boom is low. Look at that thing! So not only do you have to be big and strong but flexible as well!

2) Complicated! How many control lines do you need on a single sail cat rigged boat. Apparently more than the standard 3 for the Finn!

3) Expensive. I believe they are around 20K. Custom mast and sail plan to fit the sailor I believe as well.

Smaller, simpler, less expensive, smaller sail plan boats like all the ones we have been discussing in this thread have a much larger buying population.

Port Wine

Here
I agree with HD about the Finn. Sailed one once- it is fun until you need to tack or gybe. Damn thing nearly took my head off...and for bonus points, it is heavy as hell!

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
The Finn doesn't really belong in this list. It stands well alone and must be revered as something special. The Melges, Aero, Laser and Zero are all similar in concept. The Finn is, well, the Finn. Nothing compares. I also see that there were 340 in the Masters Worlds this year, with 14 of the top 20 from different countries. The other boats are just not worthy.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
OK getting back to sort of on topic here, I just checked on the boats listed to be at the Annapolis show and both the Melges and RS Aero are not listed. I believe they were both there last year??? Bummer as I wanted to check them out closer. I assume the cost to put a small boat at this show is tough to justify??? Thus why the show is mostly large cruising boats and vendors. Thus why I end up going to APS first and buying what I actually need, maybe picking up some sunglasses at the show and then getting drunk in the Gin tent! :lol:

Mystique

OK getting back to sort of on topic here, I just checked on the boats listed to be at the Annapolis show and both the Melges and RS Aero are not listed. I believe they were both there last year??? Bummer as I wanted to check them out closer. I assume the cost to put a small boat at this show is tough to justify??? Thus why the show is mostly large cruising boats and vendors. Thus why I end up going to APS first and buying what I actually need, maybe picking up some sunglasses at the show and then getting drunk in the Gin tent! :lol:
i saw in their newsletter last week that they'll be there with the 14.

not sure if this link will work or if it's just my link from my email? does it work for you? http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Inside-Melges--The-September-Issue-.html?soid=1126977055871&aid=CkhbgjLTmzQ 

Latest posts