Does anybody think that LRPP will be able to pull off a comeback?

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
I'm hoping they will...though deep inside me I know that's basically impossible. -_-
Possibility and probability are different things.  Of course it's possible.  And the fact JS has done it before increases the probability for sure.  Both teams are just one mistake away from losing a race.

Last edited by a moderator:

porthos

Super Anarchist
Michigan, USA
I'm hoping they will...though deep inside me I know that's basically impossible. -_-
These last few races have confirmed that ETNZ has a higher ceiling with their boat. They continue to improve performance whereas LRPP are basically tapped out. In the race last night, LRPP sailed almost perfectly and still lost. They made one mistake (sort of) in not crossing and that was the ballgame. Can LRPP still theoretically win? Sure. But they must sail a flawless race to do so.  Even if they pull that perfect race off in the next race, they'd have to do that every race from here on out, which makes that outcome very unlikely even as good as these crews are.

Put all that into a blender and the smoothie you get is LRPP, while a worthy competitor, will not win.

bluelaser2

CLE
The faster boat wins the America's Cup.  That's always been the case, and will likely continue to be the case.  NZ has the faster boat. 

The tightly bounded course is not doing the quality of the racing any favors.  Leverage creates risk and opportunity, which livens things up. 

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Whatever happens, I still think they are doing amazingly well. Polished crew work, finely tuned and developed boat, putting it to ETNZ in every race, it has been a really great challenge!

https://rule69blog.wordpress.com/2021/03/16/auld-mugged/

There’s a sense of deflation and inevitability around the Italian camp. They are saying the right things but the sports psychology can’t hide the body language. "
I think ETNZ have only won 1 of the last 8 starts ---so epic failure getting off the line ---I think to win 1 of the next 4 ETNZ will have to sail a good race and rely on the faster boat. If ETNZ win  (a bit of good luck has come into play, and a faster boat) -if it was any other team defending the Italian camp would be ahead at this stage and would win.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Remember San Francisco in 2013: Jimmy down 1-8 (actually 3-8 on the race course), and came back to win eight in a row. LR just needs to win four in a row. I had a front-row seat to the ETNZ melt-down, and it wasn't pretty.

"Imagine if they lost from here...."

Stranger things have happened.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Toss the coin and you need four tails in a row (1/2^4=1/16). Unlikely but you only need to win one at a time. After tonight it’s either 1/4 or over. 

cbulger

Newport
Remember San Francisco in 2013: Jimmy down 1-8 (actually 3-8 on the race course), and came back to win eight in a row. LR just needs to win four in a row. I had a front-row seat to the ETNZ melt-down, and it wasn't pretty.

"Imagine if they lost from here...."

Stranger things have happened.
In 2013 Jimmy was up against another novice foiler and he had unlimited resources.  This time he's up against 3 of the best foiling sailors in the world who are sailing their boat using capabilities and techniques that he can't copy.  LR has done an amazing job and I hope they take 2 tonight so we can see a finale with some strong breeze.  But the Cup stays in NZ.