Does VC Offshore eat through the cans?

xyzzy

Anarchist
My experience with VC Offshore (North American type, with the vinyl solvents, rest of world has different VC/O), is that it eats through the cans.  Because every can I've ever had has started to leak after between 0 days to 3 years of storage.

I've got 20+ year old cans of other paint that aren't leaking yet, it's not like I'm storing them in a puddle of water next to open bottles of concentrated swimming pool chlorine.  And while I've certainly had other paint cans fail, it's a slow process of deterioration.  The VC Offshore will leak out of pinpick holes in otherwise shiny metal.

But, my sample size is not that large.  Maybe it's just coincidence, poor storage of one can, another set of cans, despite being purchased months apart, happened to all come from the one bad pallet at a distributor, etc.

Anyone else notice this?

I could have sworn I read someone complaining about this before, but I can't find it now.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Yes.  In a couple years the shit blows out the sides. 
as you can’t be sure how long it has been on your supplier’s shelves, sometimes placing tye cannin a paint shaker splatters the room. 

I have duct taped entire cans , shaken them, and filtered tye contents into a new can more times than I care to remember. 

it pisses me off  they sell a product that lists for many hundreds of dollars in cans that can’t hold the stuff. 

I never had Regatta Baltoplate eat a can when Regatta was its own company 

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
You can get brand new empty one gallon paint cans at Home Depot for $6 each.  Cheap insurance to re-can every few years!  

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Yes.  In a couple years the shit blows out the sides. 
as you can’t be sure how long it has been on your supplier’s shelves, sometimes placing tye cannin a paint shaker splatters the room. 

Last time I went to the paint store, there was a sign that said they won’t put bottom paint in the shaker. Now I know why. 

xyzzy

Anarchist
I move it to quart cans.  Less air in the can that way.

International told me plastic cans would be ok.  But I'm not sure about that.  It seems to eat plastic too.