Dog in flight?

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
One of my ex-wives was a full fledged religious believer in PITA.  She'd steal your dog based upon her own evaluation.

She'd take her dogs on planes regularly.

mundt

Anarchist
=
Dear Mr. Shift, thanks so much for your attempt at humour.  I was hoping that the "in the hold" portion of my request would eliminate that very obvious line of jest but kudos to you for trying anyway!  And as for you, Hasher, my deepest condolences.  I can't begin to imagine the suffering you must have endured.

Last edited by a moderator:

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
Dear Mr. Shift, thanks so much for your attempt at humour.  I was hoping that the "in the hold" portion of my request would eliminate that very obvious line of jest but kudos to you for trying anyway!  And as for you, Hasher, my deepest condolences.  I can't begin to imagine the suffering you must have endured.
I am a lawyer.  Game the system.  Depends upon your tolerance for risk.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
The rules and regulations vary from airline to airline and it is also weather dependent.  There is a temperature range that they will fly pets within, and it's pretty narrow.  Of course there are possible quarantine requirements depending on the destination country, and all shots need to be up to date.  There are crate requirements that mandate that the animal can turn around comfortably in the crate.    

It's certainly doable, but it is risky to a point and different dogs react differently to the stress of traveling.  Obviously a direct flight is desirable.  I seem to remember when I did reservations for American Airlines many years ago, that there were a maximum number of connections allowed and it isn't a lot.  

Good luck.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
There aren't many alternatives from NA to Europe, amigo.
yeah, I get that, good luck mate... Nothing from the White Star LIne still making the crossing?  

going one way or round trip? how big of a dog is it? 

I wish you luck. I just don't trust them to keep the baggage hold pressurized or heated sufficiently. Particularly if it's an over the pole route. i've found too many tubes of frozen toothpaste and exploded bottles of shampoo in checked luggage. I don't know if some certain aircraft have seperate compartments below specifically for live cargo or not.. also wonder about the quarantine issues. 

Again, good luck with it. 

mundt

Anarchist
=
Only certain aircraft do it.  Dog is 85 lbs.  Very limited availability since covid. Ships don't do it.  Anybody done it recently?  

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
A friend of mine recently flew two dogs from Asia to UK.  Both about 40lbs.  He did all the paperwork himself.  Logistical nightmare involving inoculations and tests for the dogs which resulted in several rescheduling of flights.  Make sure the crate is big enough.  Very stressful last minute search for a bigger crate was not fun apparently. Cost was about US$10k per dog.  

Both dogs were very happy at the end.  No issues during the actual flights.

We were interested because we will be flying our dog on the same route next year.  The problem is that our dog is very nervous which can translate to aggression when stressed.  Trips to the vet are a nightmare.  NOT looking forward to the experience.

Good luck, and please report how it went.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
There are regulations related to temp. IE: You can't fly between (something like) May 15-Sept. 21. (Too hot potentially)

Different airlines have different rules. I flew my dog from JFK to GND, and then around a year later from GND to MIA. No issues on the flights. There was a problem on a ferry boat that very nearly  had either myself and the dog swimming 20 miles, or a deck hand changing his name to "Bob"...

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Did I misread the thread title?

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ubaJDEhhYh5izLz60vAziFTX85uPP

Sorry!

Couple of Lawyers I was goose hunting with in Canada in 2001 managed to make us late for boarding our flight home. We got a sorry the plane has left the ramp and then I asked out loud what about the dog that was in the cargo hold. They held the plane on the runway for us to board. Got a few hostile looks from the passengers.