• A Case of Australian Wine

Votes: 44 66.7%
  • A Barrel of Russian Oil

Votes: 22 33.3%

• Total voters

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
This is really interesting - most don't mind if Oracle get to build twice.

I was initially stunned by the asymmetry, but guess I'll just have to get used to it.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
The nos finally take the yes votes: 27 to 25.

Close to dead heat.

I made an initial mistake with this poll: stating two "boats" for the defender is not correct. More correctly stated, the poll should read: Two "platforms".

The defense is limited to the same number of wings and foils as everybody else.

Apparently, according to JS, the COR could have opted for a spare platform as well - but opted not to.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
The sound bite "two boat testing" conjures an image of DC bashing across the Molokai channel - securing technical superiority for their AC challenger.

But this ain't that.

Oracle gets a second boat so late, that although they might gain some moding insight (although boats probably have different foil packages), certainly no technology breakthrough seems possible.

In fact, because Oracle will put spare wing and foils at risk - sailing both platforms at once may be seen as an undesirable expense. Likely - this is just what the COR decided.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
That risk was alluded to by JS too.

It's almost no wonder that when pressed by RG who had gone AWOL on it already, GD dismissed the possibility to accept a two-boat offer; at least at first glance. As he explained, they chose to focus on and put all their eggs in the A boat basket last time, even given an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts