Domestic spying

Chris Burns

Super Anarchist
I _think_that was sarcasm. I'm with Gator on this one, though. Troubling is a massive understatement.

Given that Google has rolled on providing search characteristic data and Verizon is rolling on customer call logs (heard that one on NPR IIRC this AM) that's very troubling. Heck, if you're anything of a news junkie with any more curiosity than a planarian, you'll be showing up on some nosy-parker's list pdq.

ramwel2010

Anarchist
Time for the Patriot Act to go. This is unacceptable. When your kid abuses his privileges, you pull his car keys. We need to do the same with our Government.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
We are all suspects now. That is the only explanation for the extent of the domestic spying which we are seeing.

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I _think_that was sarcasm. I'm with Gator on this one, though. Troubling is a massive understatement.

Given that Google has rolled on providing search characteristic data and Verizon is rolling on customer call logs (heard that one on NPR IIRC this AM) that's very troubling. Heck, if you're anything of a news junkie with any more curiosity than a planarian, you'll be showing up on some nosy-parker's list pdq.
Never thought I would agree with Gator either but this is very troubling. What ever happened to presumption of innocence?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Well now you guys don't like it. We used to be so Patriotic too. good times roll. eh, someones at the door brb.....

mad

Super Anarchist
big-brother-1984.jpg

My irony meter pegged out. If this is all so troubling, why link to a one pragraph big twitter article? Why so many one line replies? The lack of depth in this discussion is troubling.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
For what year? The selection of a specific set of dates and the approval of FISA is worth thinking about in terms of a specific operation. Of course, it could just be acquisition of a test data set for development of analysis systems. No problem there, eh? l believe that FISA came about to avoid the need for spending too much executive time on findings (and signatures).

It is indeed troubling that the government is in the wholesale data collection business on internal calls. That used to be a nono for the NSA without a damned good reason. Now, of course, folks routinely submit to paying for 'free' access to search engines, social networking sites, etc. There seems to be a lot of money in that in the private sector and google has recently picked up the tab for the Obama data team by hiring them. My guess is that they will now provide a value added service to all comers in election cycles. Well, maybe not ALL comers.