Don't Be This Guy

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure that is what happened to my last boat, and it makes me sad.

He bought it in July 2016 and I told him to have a diver check on it every 4-6 months (no in water cleaning here for ablatives, and the boat had Micron 66).

3 years later he texted and said "am I supposed to have a diver come look at the boat?"  I haven't seen the boat out since then and his Instagram which was all sailing is now zero sailing.

It had a one year old 3-blade feathering prop (Featherstream, not MaxProp), new bottom (March 2016), and I put a lot of care into it.  Oh well, at least he paid my asking price...

IStream

Super Anarchist

He bought it in July 2016 and I told him to have a diver check on it every 4-6 months (no in water cleaning here for ablatives, and the boat had Micron 66).

3 years later he texted and said "am I supposed to have a diver come look at the boat?"  I haven't seen the boat out since then and his Instagram which was all sailing is now zero sailing.

It had a one year old 3-blade feathering prop (Featherstream, not MaxProp), new bottom (March 2016), and I put a lot of care into it.  Oh well, at least he paid my asking price...
That's a crying shame. You kept that boat up to an impressive standard of care. 

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal

Might be all covered by growth, and looking at pic on my phone, but that sorta looks like a fixed blades prop to me?

IStream

Super Anarchist
I don't think Alex is saying that the boat in the picture is his old boat, just that something similar happened to his old boat.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I've never seen anything like that.

Anybody know how such extreme corrosion can be so localized on a shaft that has a zinc on it a foot away?

image.png

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Supect putting a zinc on would be a band aid on the boil, the minute you put that engine in gear I suspect the prop would fall off.

The corroded shaft does not look even, it appears corrosion has affected the lower half of the shaft so at the very least you would have an out of balance -rotation.

Supect putting a zinc on would be a band aid on the boil, the minute you put that engine in gear I suspect the prop would fall off.
 I have no idea what the owner intends to do about this or when and we do not get paid to walk away from a boat, leaving the underwater metals unprotected. Therefore an anode was installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
 I have no idea what the owner intends to do about this or when and we do not get paid to walk away from a boat, leaving the underwater metals unprotected. Therefore an anode was installed.
Understand that completley as a marine professional myself-hopefully you left him a clear understanding of the problems that need attention in writing so when he "forgets" about your conversation,  he does not try and have you pay for the fix , it looks like he has already "forgotten" about his boat..

No I'm not a diver but yes I have had customers try and have me pay for a fix that was clearly the result of their lack of attention.

Understand that completley as a marine professional myself-hopefully you left him a clear understanding of the problems that need attention in writing so when he "forgets" about your conversation,  he does not try and have you pay for the fix , it looks like he has already "forgotten" about his boat..

No I'm not a diver but yes I have had customers try and have me pay for a fix that was clearly the result of their lack of attention.
The owner was given a complete explanation as well as video of the situation, from which this screen grab was taken.