Don't Let SailCare Clean Your Sails!

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Sail Care's coating process causes shrinkage, and perma wrinkles. Don't learn the hard way,
old-lady-in-bikini.jpg

sheethead

Branford CT
They are between Pittsburgh and Cleveland what could possibly go wrong.....

Your sail will be clean, free of most wrinkles,

• Please do not ship the sails with the battens in the pockets as they may get broken in shipping and could cause damage to the sail.
  • Please do not pack the sails with "PEANUTS" as they are not needed and are a nightmare in the loft, and are costly to dispose of.
honey roasted peanuts or just pain salted??
The Great Pumpkin was on last night. It's always awesome! Charlie Brown you fucking blockhead!

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
They are between Pittsburgh and Cleveland what could possibly go wrong.....

Your sail will be clean, free of most wrinkles,

• Please do not ship the sails with the battens in the pockets as they may get broken in shipping and could cause damage to the sail.
  • Please do not pack the sails with "PEANUTS" as they are not needed and are a nightmare in the loft, and are costly to dispose of.
honey roasted peanuts or just pain salted??
The Great Pumpkin was on last night. It's always awesome! Charlie Brown you fucking blockhead!
Damitte, misted it againe!!!

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Sailcare has been around for decades. You go fresh dirty Dacron sails they can do an amazing job cleaning them. You got blown out sails they can nip and tuck alterations to tighten up the edges for a few more miles. But more than that, it ain't gonna happen. Dacron stretches, becomes a bad shape and it's Minney's trash. Sorry. Laminates perform to original specs until they go into failure mode and they're toast. No *cleaning* a laminate sail fixes it.

If you're into sailboat racing competitively the strongest lightest laminates are the way to go, big money each year and expect 2 years of performance before trashing. If you're a cruiser 90% is good enough and it's Dacron all the way. Until the main actually balloons out strong Dacron sails (NorDac or equivalent) are a good investment. Foresails, not so much, 3DL or 3DI pays off, replace regularly because of weight.

Sorry, really good sail shape is critical and expensive, 4nt shitbox or ultimate performance winner makes it happen. Pay or play. There's a lot of other things to make the boat go faster, dumping weight below, better crew, etc.

If you want to win, all angles must be explored.

2" of fury

After my genoa shredded I delivered it to my sailmaker for repair/replace estimate. He noticed that the original UV cover had been removed and a new UV cover installed on the leech and foot. He determined that the new UV cover, recommended and installed by SailCare, was about 1/3 of the protection needed and was installed wrong. Then he explained that SailCare's cleaning had compromised the sail fabric since it never should have been used on a laminate sail and contributed to the sails deterioration and shredding. Discussions with other major sailmakers confirmed the original analysis yet SailCare has refused to return my payment of nearly $1000 and has refused to pay for the required replacement sail. According to all the sailmakers I have since talked to "Don't let SailCare near your sails."
Uh..I have a goldfish?

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Maybe that's why the local sailmaker charged ~$2/ft2 to remove, pickup, clean, repair and replace furler cover, and returned sails to booms aboard vessel.

No goldfish though.