Don't MoveTo Florida

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
A lot of places now are paying people to leave, and then leveling the homes to leave vacant lots, rather than allow another home to be built only to be destroyed again down the road. Maybe not where you are, but it is a trend elsewhere....
It’s an old idea new again. There‘s several acres of land along the river near downtown Indianapolis that was turned into a vacant lot in the 1920s, after a major flood (pre FEMA, President Hoover sent thoughts and prayers). Hoosiers not being the fastest thinkers, 80 years later somebody in government finally decided to stop cutting the grass and plant some trees.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I’ve spoken against federal bailouts from hurricanes. i get a good snow most years, sometimes two. I have to shovel the drive myself. In 1978 there was a blizzard. Why should swamp dwellers on the gulf get special treatment just because they prefer torrential rain and force 12 winds? Fortunately the Tornado missed your house, that’s the usual outcome. They‘re a localized disaster.

Your neighbor got $250k for being stupid. I should get $250k for being smart enough not to be a burden on the taxpayers, including those in Florida. Is insurance not a calculation of risk and potential cost? Why is it unfair?
That vast majority of the people that get that money are ones that couldn't afford to move in the first place and get 'out' of those places. Think about what happened in New Orleans.

Yeah, I have a problem too when it comes to rich people getting a bailout.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
stop cutting the grass and plant some trees.
Probably high on the Climate list of bad stuff,
Lawns/golf course/road dividers, think about how stupid they are, plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and
then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and
then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and

Me I would come home from work, look at the lawn and then go sailing
I had one neighbor (only in the summer), lived on a dead end, she was bitching about a tree needed to be trimmed, I went to the basement and got a tree saw, told her to trim it the way she wanted, Her Husband fell off the chair laughing. Got in my car and went sailing

Last edited:

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Probably high on the Climate list of bad stuff,
Lawns/golf course/road dividers, think about how stupid they are, plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and then plant seed, and then tons of fertilizer, weed killer, pesticides and then gallons of water to watch it grow, only to cut it short and

Me I would come home from work, look at the lawn and then go sailing
I had one neighbor (only in the summer), lived on a dead end, she was bitching about a tree needed to be trimmed, I went to the basement and got a tree saw, told her to trim it the way she wanted, Her Husband fell off the chair laughing. Got in my car and went sailing
Golf courses are an ecological disaster. And why the f#8k does every military base have one?

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Golf courses are an ecological disaster. And why the f#8k does every military base have one?

I sure don't get it! Why do people need to have a yard that looks like a golf course? Putting all those chemcicals into the ground to poison their soil and run off onto other people's property. Neighbors across the street even have someone spray their property for mosquitoes, WTF? Fortunately, any runoff goes into a storm drain on the street, then piped underground below our house to another storm drain on the road below. Ultimately it all ends up in the CT River and Long Island Sound, whatever doesn't settle on someones intervening property. Our lawn is full of clover and Azuka which is a purple carpet of low flowers in Spring that I won't mow until they are done. All we do is mow, no chemical additives ever...

Last edited:

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
That is weird, but what is weirder is that immediately some witnesses would be saying that they were "traumatized." Really?

I figure that with 8 billion people on the planet, there are a lot of witnesses to a lot of copulation. Is a large percentage of the world traumatized because they saw or heard people having sex? Maybe they can all sue!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I sure don't get it! Why do people need to have a yard that looks like a golf course? Putting all those chemcicals into the ground to poison their soil and run off onto other people's property. Neighbors across the street even have someone spray their property for mosquitoes, WTF? Fortunately, any runoff goes into a storm drain on the street, then piped underground below our house to another storm drain on the road below. Ultimately it all ends up in the CT River and Long Island Sound, whatever doesn't settle on someones intervening property. Our lawn is full of clover and Azuka which is a purple carpet of low flowers in Spring that I won't mow until they are done. All we do is mow, no chemical additives ever...
I always preferred clover to grass for lawns.

Bees like it better too.

Stains clothing like a bitch though.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
For sure. Where I grew up in the city, everybody's yard had a lot of clover. My mother was always freaking out about the green stains on our clothes. WTF did she expect with twin boys and a copious amount of other boys in the neighborhood!

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I always preferred clover to grass for lawns.

Bees like it better too.

Honey bees need blooms to do their thing. The proliferating "keeping up with the Jones" "hoa approved" watering required chemical cover mono gene lawns are absurdly bad for the environment in every possible way.

We have a country lawn. We seeded grass, but we don't weed kill. We just mow. So we get a carpet of clover and dandelions with grass in between.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Why do gators need culling?
Because the Endangered Species Act worked very well. It was hard to find a gator driving across Tamiami Trail when I was a kid. Now they're everywhere.

The other answer is that government is kinda slow. We quit protecting them too late and still protect them too much, so have more than we should in some areas. It's a better problem to have.

But I see the discussion has moved on to insurance.

Shopping for insurance for our rentals, there was a point system. You get this many points for curricane shutters, this many points for hip vs gable ends, this many points for a wind resistant garage door, etc. There's a maximum number of points you can get.

If you have a concrete roof, you get the max points for that and it doesn't matter what else you have. So that's what the people who pay the bills think about roofs.

Walking around my old neighborhood the morning after Andrew, if your garage doors faced East, your house was gutted. Few other damage patterns were as consistent. Sliders and double front doors also seemed bad but the garage doors facing the wind were the house killers.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Honey bees need blooms to do their thing. The proliferating "keeping up with the Jones" "hoa approved" watering required chemical cover mono gene lawns are absurdly bad for the environment in every possible way.

We have a country lawn. We seeded grass, but we don't weed kill. We just mow. So we get a carpet of clover and dandelions with grass in between.
Shortly after moving to the present house we discovered a code requiring lawn sprinklers, grass coverage for the first six feet off the canal wall and grass coverage in the storm swales. We ribbed one neighbor about watering saying, "Satellite imagery makes your property look like an oasis." We never water or fertilize and I would tell that neighbor it's because someone had to balance him out.

The new owner hasn't shown up yet and left the sprinkler system on. Somehow it got stuck on and for days the sprinklers up front ran continuously. Most of the water ended up in the storm drain.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Walking around my old neighborhood the morning after Andrew, if your garage doors faced East, your house was gutted. Few other damage patterns were as consistent. Sliders and double front doors also seemed bad but the garage doors facing the wind were the house killers.
Irma was picky, too. My next door neighbor lost their entire screen cage. The winds picked it up and over their roof and left it in pieces across the street. We were picking up screws for weeks. We had no damage at all. Even the pool cage screen was intact, without a single hole from flying screws.