Don't MoveTo Florida

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Because the Endangered Species Act worked very well. It was hard to find a gator driving across Tamiami Trail when I was a kid. Now they're everywhere.

The other answer is that government is kinda slow. We quit protecting them too late and still protect them too much, so have more than we should in some areas. It's a better problem to have.
As a card-carrying libertarian, I imagine you are aware of the <hush hush> nuisance tag gator hide industry Tom? What do you think of this odd end-around ESA regulations that seems to keep gator populations from expanding too far and makes a lot of rednecks (and Hermès) a lot of money? As the successful hunter of a big nuisance gator in Johns Island SC, I certainly appreciated the program.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
ever wonder why Rick Scott doesn't want more IRS agents ?

"Rick Scott: don’t apply for IRS jobs because Republicans will defund them!"

well let's see ...
"he co-founded Columbia Hospital Corporation. Columbia later merged with another corporation to form Columbia/HCA, which eventually became the nation's largest private for-profit health care company.[6] Scott was pressured to resign as chief executive of Columbia/HCA in 1997. During his tenure as chief executive, the company defrauded Medicare, Medicaid and other federal programs. The Department of Justice ultimately fined the company $1.7 billion in what was at the time the largest health care fraud settlement in U.S. history."

He's a crook who got caught...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
ever wonder why Rick Scott doesn't want more IRS agents ?

"Rick Scott: don’t apply for IRS jobs because Republicans will defund them!"

well let's see ...
"he co-founded Columbia Hospital Corporation. Columbia later merged with another corporation to form Columbia/HCA, which eventually became the nation's largest private for-profit health care company.[6] Scott was pressured to resign as chief executive of Columbia/HCA in 1997. During his tenure as chief executive, the company defrauded Medicare, Medicaid and other federal programs. The Department of Justice ultimately fined the company $1.7 billion in what was at the time the largest health care fraud settlement in U.S. history."

He's a crook who got caught...
And reelected.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
As a card-carrying libertarian, I imagine you are aware of the <hush hush> nuisance tag gator hide industry Tom? What do you think of this odd end-around ESA regulations that seems to keep gator populations from expanding too far and makes a lot of rednecks (and Hermès) a lot of money? As the successful hunter of a big nuisance gator in Johns Island SC, I certainly appreciated the program.
I'm not that kind so you imagine wrong. I don't know a thing about it. I had a nuisance gator once. Then I didn't. But I never had a tag nor made any money. Gator gumbo was outstanding though.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'm not that kind so you imagine wrong. I don't know a thing about it. I had a nuisance gator once. Then I didn't. But I never had a tag nor made any money. Gator gumbo was outstanding though.
It's absolutely fascinating. The feds have a policy for easy permitting to take nuisance gators. As long as you are the property owner or resident, there's almost no review. Each state then has a program permitting individual property owners and/or licensed gator trappers to take nuisance animals. In some cases, each property can receive 2 or more permits in a year. Middlemen contract with the owners and trappers for large volumes of hides. Hermès and its subsidiaries control a significant (some say vast majority) of the market, with graders and quality control people on the ground each quarter to review the harvest before dropping it into a temp controlled container and shipped off to storage and manufacturing. They play with inventory levels to keep the market prices where they want them. The entire existence of the market flies completely under the radar despite the killing of gators ostensibly being regulated by some of the strictest laws in the land.

It's not how things are supposed to work, but it sure does work, and provides an alternative to what we all know would happen to the species in about a year if you take the federal reins off completely and let states rights handle it.

South Carolina issues a permit that anyone can use to take the gator (or any gator, at night), and it's transferable to anyone, not just a licensed trapper. They are traded amongst the rednecks and the middlemen like taxi licenses.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Just posted on the Finland PM forum but worth repeating
Sounds like a good ad to move or at least vacation there, showed two women kissing and posing topless (love to see that video)
It would be nice if US and mostly Florida politicians would lighten up a bit. If DeSatan wants to win throw a party like that at south beach.
Nice to see a country that's full of Love, Not the hate, name calling that's abundant here

But here we get what we vote for or not

veni vidi vici

Super Anarchist
….

46341A7E-700C-4FDD-A7A9-04936C23F9BE.jpeg

Can we use the words "grifter"? "Landt"?

"I have been pondering the future of the publication. Do I sell it, and witness where it goes, or do I end it like Thelma & Louise? And then a letter like this arrives that keeps me on watch:"

SELL IT CRAIG. Perhaps the new SA owners will want to make you a substantial offer....maybe

I don't entirely understand that? I thought I was viewing the latest unread post in this thread but saw the ignored user's signature at the end (without seeing his post). Perhaps he posted at the same moment and his post/sig became visible "dynamically", via AJAX?