Don't MoveTo Florida

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
If we want it that bad, we should buy it. Set up a special tax to fund the purchase, development and upkeep, just like some did for Buckley's Pass. Nobody talks about the B&B property on Olympia. That family has enough money to pay the taxes and not have to rent it out. Bruce is still lurking.

While we are at it, let's buy the old Harbour Inn property across the bridge. Maybe that will cut down on the Folks getting run over and we need a place to build the third lanes on the bridge. I have a special relationship with that property. In 1985, I was sitting with my new friends at the Raw Bar. I saw this girl sitting at the bar and went up and bought her a drink. I've been buying stuff for her ever since.

Here's another one. There was a place there called Fish & Steer there (1973, good eats). The fellas that worked for PGI, Inc. in the heavy equipment shop borrowed Bud's (VP/owner) brand new Chevy Blazer. It had big fat tires and snorkels for the carb and exhaust. After a while someone decided to drive it back to Fat Point by way of the Peace River. They didn't make it and Mr. Cole was real pissed on Monday morning.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm

5076473A-3E07-41F9-BEA6-503423946924.jpeg

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
If we want it that bad, we should buy it. Set up a special tax to fund the purchase, development and upkeep, just like some did for Buckley's Pass.
I suggested something similar to a former Council member and VP. He said, "Good luck!" Apparently that idea has been floated around many times but the money never flowed. CAVEs love to protest and chase developers out of town but when it comes to opening up their wallet - good luck!

But one very vocal CAVE approached Peace River Wildlife Center, which was outgrowing their present location at Ponce Park, and suggested Henry Street between the pumping station and the dog park. I'm now working with PRWC on that project. Here's a virtual of their main building ('cept the building will be the mirror image of what's in the video)

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
From NYT:

Eric Merda didn’t usually have much free time between his irrigation service calls, but on July 17, he had a far more generous schedule and was looking to fill a couple of hours.

He decided to explore the Manatee Fish Camp near one of his job sites. He ended up in a swamp area near Sarasota, where he lives.

His downtime on that summer Sunday turned into what he described as a nightmare survival story: four days and three nights lost, naked and suffering alone in the swamp after an alligator bit off his right arm.

So I looked up Lake Manatee on Google Earth. The swamp area measures about 1 mile x 1 mile. How do you stay lost for four days in an area that small?

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
So I looked up Lake Manatee on Google Earth. The swamp area measures about 1 mile x 1 mile. How do you stay lost for four days in an area that small?

It's a gift, don't be jealous.

I stayed overnight at that camp in 2001 when bringing a boat from the Lakes to FLaud. The Mosquitos were thick, very thick.

Last edited:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
From NYT:

Eric Merda didn’t usually have much free time between his irrigation service calls, but on July 17, he had a far more generous schedule and was looking to fill a couple of hours.

He decided to explore the Manatee Fish Camp near one of his job sites. He ended up in a swamp area near Sarasota, where he lives.

His downtime on that summer Sunday turned into what he described as a nightmare survival story: four days and three nights lost, naked and suffering alone in the swamp after an alligator bit off his right arm.

More to the point, how do you survive for four days with an arm bitten off - that's an arterial bleed.

And how did he get naked? Did the gator bite his clothes off?

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
More to the point, how do you survive for four days with an arm bitten off - that's an arterial bleed.

Alternative theory: The guy was coyote-ugly. Banged a very drunk chick at the camp who woke up in a panic and had to chew his arm off in order escape the tent in the morning. In shock and needing medical attention, he didn't bother with his clothes.

Last edited:

MR.CLEAN

Not here

I think he means more of a human alligator. I was trapped with a real tweaker chick once. I also felt like I was stock in a survival situation.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
boy, concientous drivers recognize challenging road consditions, slow down and use their flashers to alert other drivers and you guys get all nasty...there is just no pleasing you assholes!

:D
The “other” drivers are in the same conditions, thank you “

Latest posts