bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
I always called that style of house ‘Florida Drug Dealer’
No...... This is 'Florida Drug Dealer'

555124cb69beddc84702b68d

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Billey cane be trickey, you realley hafte to paye attentione, no insultte, no disrespectte, juste learneng thisse lessone in suttletey myselfe.............. :)

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Many of the Doublewides/manufacturer homes can't get Insurance., so what do they do?
Do without. One of the things I've learned since moving to old farts heaven is FEMA is unlikely to help fund your repairs if you have insurance. But if you don't, they'll hand you a check in a jiffy.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Do without. One of the things I've learned since moving to old farts heaven is FEMA is unlikely to help fund your repairs if you have insurance. But if you don't, they'll hand you a check in a jiffy.
That a roll of the dice! Banks will always be paid first (too big to fail), Then the HOA, then homeowner can go to Lowes to get old refrig boxes

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Just read this about our great penis state, don't shoot the messenger
One of the glaring facts rarely cited is, when we look back at climate predictions, 5, 10, 20, 40 years ago, and compare them to what actually happened, reality is usually worse than the predictions.

Climate scientists know certain things are going to happen. They just don't know exactly when.

Take the Thwaites glacier. They know eventually it's going to slip into the sea. And, based on the mass of the glacier, when it goes it will cause global sea levels to rise as much as 10 feet. Conservative predictions is that will happen in a few decades. But it could happen much sooner. And when it does, it will create a global crisis.

In the mean time, we'll have to deal with an increase in severe weather. Will this mass move to Florida begin reversing itself as storms worsen? Or will it be sea level rise? My guess is that within ten years time, the population of Florida will begin declining steadily. In the meantime, coastal Florida will continue its move toward being a haven for the rich. They are the only ones who can afford to rebuild without outside assistance.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
One of the glaring facts rarely cited is, when we look back at climate predictions, 5, 10, 20, 40 years ago, and compare them to what actually happened, reality is usually worse than the predictions.

Climate scientists know certain things are going to happen. They just don't know exactly when.

Take the Thwaites glacier. They know eventually it's going to slip into the sea. And, based on the mass of the glacier, when it goes it will cause global sea levels to rise as much as 10 feet. Conservative predictions is that will happen in a few decades. But it could happen much sooner. And when it does, it will create a global crisis.

In the mean time, we'll have to deal with an increase in severe weather. Will this mass move to Florida begin reversing itself as storms worsen? Or will it be sea level rise? My guess is that within ten years time, the population of Florida will begin declining steadily. In the meantime, coastal Florida will continue its move toward being a haven for the rich. They are the only ones who can afford to rebuild without outside assistance.
It seems that first 2100 thing will hit the tipping point, then 2050, now 2025 to 2030.
I'm putting my money (if it's worth anything) in 2025, seems to me, a lot will be happening that year, from height of solar flares, (can you if we lose cell phones/internet) for even a day. Then as you mention Thwaites glacier, the Artic ice free, increase water temps, (causing food shortages, look at the Maine lobster mass migration or the Crabs their can't find in Alaska anymore)
People I talk to neither don't believe or Natures changes. But this fast, use to take 1000's of wears, now we're down to decades.
and we just hit 8 billion people,
Oh God will take care of us, "BULLSHIT"

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Tonight we went out to the boat cuz... I don't know. Magnetism.

So we're in the cabin imagining what it must have been like during Ian. 150 MPH winds in the front and more in the back. Holy fuck! That must have been horrific!

Then it hits us. Our boat went through that and with barely a scratch. Okay, more than a scratch. But the furler survived intact. The sail pak I made did great. And, most surprising, the cover for the helm is unaffected.

It all makes you think.

We're in the cabin, looking around, and I'm feeling impressed with this old gal. Siren songs begin to sing.

I know I want to get the hell out of hades. But where do we go? I have always loved cruising, and that's why we bought this boat we never use, cuz we can't go cruising.

I just need more rum. And not in a plastic bottle.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I have always loved cruising, and that's why we bought this boat we never use, cuz we can't go cruising.
Lots of boats at docks in your neighborhood with that same story.

If you can't go cruising, admit it. Sell that boat. Get a day sailer. My friend Joe had it figured out. Most every day, he'd put his little catboat in the water and head out to the harbor, do a beam reach until he ran out of harbor, come back, go for a bike ride, then a nap. It seems so simple but most don't manage to actually do it.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Lots of boats at docks in your neighborhood with that same story.

If you can't go cruising, admit it. Sell that boat. Get a day sailer. My friend Joe had it figured out. Most every day, he'd put his little catboat in the water and head out to the harbor, do a beam reach until he ran out of harbor, come back, go for a bike ride, then a nap. It seems so simple but most don't manage to actually do it.
Such an unAmerican philosophy. You’re supposed to buy the biggest boat you can finance. Realize sailing will be limited by the number of days you can find sufficient crew to dock and deal with crosswind in the marina. Actually using a small boat optimized to daysail with the most common crew size smacks of middle class mundanity, unless it’s the tender.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Tonight we went out to the boat cuz... I don't know. Magnetism.

So we're in the cabin imagining what it must have been like during Ian. 150 MPH winds in the front and more in the back. Holy fuck! That must have been horrific!

Then it hits us. Our boat went through that and with barely a scratch. Okay, more than a scratch. But the furler survived intact. The sail pak I made did great. And, most surprising, the cover for the helm is unaffected.

It all makes you think.

We're in the cabin, looking around, and I'm feeling impressed with this old gal. Siren songs begin to sing.

I know I want to get the hell out of hades. But where do we go? I have always loved cruising, and that's why we bought this boat we never use, cuz we can't go cruising.

I just need more rum. And not in a plastic bottle.

Jules, you said you can't cruise yet because your SO still works full time? Haven't you both worked long and hard enough and deserve to shove off and go cruising now?