Don't MoveTo Florida

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
That one's proof that a catch stick and a uniform doesn't make a person know how to catch a gator. The Gator Boys catch 'em by wearing them out and jumping on top of them when they're tired.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
not sure if this has been mentioned weather , #1 lighting , #1huricanes,  5th tornado's , rainest cities,  #2 miami ,fl.

image.jpeg

FloridaFlorida leads as the most lightning-prone state in the country, as it experiences an average 25.3 lightning strikes for every square mile. The state witnesses an average of 1.45 million lightning strikes each year, the highest in the country.Aug 29, 2018

Sep 11, 2017 - Counting Irma, Florida has now sustained 117 direct hits by hurricanes in recorded history -- far more than any other US state, according to NOAA. That's almost twice as many major storms as have hit the runner-up, Texas. Louisiana is third in hurricane landfalls, followed by North Carolina and South Carolina.

Average number of days a year with 1 inch (25 millimetres) or more of rainfall

City

Days

New Orleans, Louisiana

Miami, Florida

Memphis, Tennessee

Birmingham, Alabama

Jacksonville, Florida

Houston, Texas

Orlando, Florida

Atlanta, Georgia

Tampa, Florida

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
I just found out a good friend went all in, bought a nice big house in Ft Myers and a big ass motor yacht.

He's selling everything and moving down there. 

We'll see if he turns into "Florida man".

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
My cousin sent me some pics from 1965 that she came across in my deceased aunt's stuff. This is a house in "Stiltsville" in Biscayne Bay that still stands today, or did last I looked. You're not allowed to build them any more and only "cosmetic" repairs are allowed, not structural ones. So there have been some cosmetic beams and pilings and stuff added to most over the years.

StiltsvilleMiningHouse.jpg

And now for the Olde Style Florida Man content...

StiltsvilleSubmersible.jpg

DaFuk is that anyway? And would you get in it? My aunt did, but apparently only for a photo op.

ROADKILL666

Super Anarchist
FREAKVILLE, FL
not sure if this has been mentioned weather , #1 lighting , #1huricanes,  5th tornado's , rainest cities,  #2 miami ,fl.

View attachment 366848

FloridaFlorida leads as the most lightning-prone state in the country, as it experiences an average 25.3 lightning strikes for every square mile. The state witnesses an average of 1.45 million lightning strikes each year, the highest in the country.Aug 29, 2018

Sep 11, 2017 - Counting Irma, Florida has now sustained 117 direct hits by hurricanes in recorded history -- far more than any other US state, according to NOAA. That's almost twice as many major storms as have hit the runner-up, Texas. Louisiana is third in hurricane landfalls, followed by North Carolina and South Carolina.

Average number of days a year with 1 inch (25 millimetres) or more of rainfall

City

Days

New Orleans, Louisiana

Miami, Florida

Memphis, Tennessee

Birmingham, Alabama

Jacksonville, Florida

Houston, Texas

Orlando, Florida

Atlanta, Georgia

Tampa, Florida

You would think this would be enough to keep people away but noooo they just keep coming.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I am most fortunate to have friends that own the fish shacks down in Pine Island Sound and the fish camps in Bull Bay.  

What goes on down the bay, stays down the bay.

They were able to be rebuilt after Charley.  It helps to have a land use attorney aboard.

I've seen a similar kind of sub a long time ago.  Pulled by a boat?.  

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I've seen a similar kind of sub a long time ago.  Pulled by a boat?.  
It appears to have bow and stern propellers. I don't know a thing about it. I've seen a pic of my aunt in it and the pic I showed and that's it. My cousin says that the mining guys were friends of her parents but that's about all she knows. My aunt and uncle are both dead so we can't ask them.

Windward

Super Anarchist
Towing the contraband alcohol during prohibition was a thing under boats between Canada and the US in many parts.  The PNW in particular.  Just cut it loose if you get busted.

Perhaps the propellers was for the last mile delivery for the sub from Columbia to Florida?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Towing the contraband alcohol during prohibition was a thing under boats between Canada and the US in many parts.  The PNW in particular.  Just cut it loose if you get busted.

Perhaps the propellers was for the last mile delivery for the sub from Columbia to Florida?
Pics are from 1965. I don't think that submarine smuggling was a thing then.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse

Pics are from 1965. I don't think that submarine smuggling was a thing then.
Coude of beene leftovere from prohibisione as sugguested, mabey smugling cubanos inthat time frame.                   Whose to saye.                                    :)

Windward

Super Anarchist
Coude of beene leftovere from prohibisione as sugguested, mabey smugling cubanos inthat time frame.                   Whose to saye.                                    :)
Probably smuggling the early print edition of SA Forums.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Friends keep asking my why am not planning to retire to Charleston, SC, where both or our daughters live.  Other than January through February, I love living where we do in SE CT.  Racing one design and PHRF from March to December, there are not a lot of other areas that offer that, and have such a beautiful place to do it. OTOH, when we eventually start having Grandchildren, Miss BB may have other thoughts....  Florida??  Never, except for short visits in the coldest of New England months.  So far, this winter has been very mild....
When it is Jan and Feb and we acyually get cold or snow, there is skating on the falls river -- all the way around th island! and skiing Cockaponset.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Probably smuggling the early print edition of SA Forums.
The stoane tabblettes our evan rarere.  ED cane telle you, thast when hise haire wente white..........            :)

(he allmoeste shittiselfe when some made a goldenne tuna as offereng to Lewickey durreng EDs absence)

(thasts when he realley gotte mad)

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
When it is Jan and Feb and we acyually get cold or snow, there is skating on the falls river -- all the way around th island! and skiing Cockaponset.

Where are you located?  I grew up on the Falls River in Ivoryton, and went to keggers in Cockaponset, many years ago, as a teenager.  Winter sports are not my thing because, I don't care for the temperatures....  I remember skating on South Cove in Essex when we lived there years ago, but the ice was very bumpy, compared to Mill Pond on the Falls River...

Gissie

Super Anarchist

Looks more like an early prop for the Thunderbirds.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpg
One less reason to go to Floriduh…

The U.S. Coast Guard showed off large caches of illegal narcotics seized as part of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

The Coast Guard Cutter James arrived in Port Everglades, Florida offloading approximately 23,000 pounds of cocaine and approximately 6,900 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated value of $408 million, seized in a series of recent actions.