Don't MoveTo Florida

Jkdubz808

Super Anarchist
Stuart, FL
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpg
One less reason to go to Floriduh…

The U.S. Coast Guard showed off large caches of illegal narcotics seized as part of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

The Coast Guard Cutter James arrived in Port Everglades, Florida offloading approximately 23,000 pounds of cocaine and approximately 6,900 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated value of $408 million, seized in a series of recent actions.
I saw that, crazy score.  Good job CG.  

ROADKILL666

Super Anarchist
FREAKVILLE, FL
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpg

The U.S. Coast Guard showed off large caches of illegal narcotics seized as part of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

The Coast Guard Cutter James arrived in Port Everglades, Florida offloading approximately 23,000 pounds of cocaine and approximately 6,900 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated value of $408 million, seized in a series of recent actions.
Normal day in Florida  :D

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
cockaina-300x168.jpg

Maybe they will sell the pot to the many purveyors advertising here for free medical marijuana cards.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpg

I remember the stories from the 70's about weed smuggling in Floriduh. Before the cocaine cowboys got murderous it sounded like everyone with a decent sized boat was running bales of weed. The sociology of it sounded like the old rum runners around here - it was regarded more as a caper or mischievousness rather than criminal activity - except by the authorities of course. 

Abandoned bales found floating were called "square grouper". :D

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpg

I remember the stories from the 70's about weed smuggling in Floriduh. Before the cocaine cowboys got murderous it sounded like everyone with a decent sized boat was running bales of weed. The sociology of it sounded like the old rum runners around here - it was regarded more as a caper or mischievousness rather than criminal activity - except by the authorities of course. 

A pretty decent bar at Jupiter inlet happens to be "The Square Grouper."  My daughter is planning on having her wedding reception "after party" there in about 6 months.  Assuming that we all don't die from COVID before then.  

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Maybe they will sell the pot to the many purveyors advertising here for free medical marijuana cards.
How do you think the USCG pays it's bills

square grouper , is right up the street from where I hang , great in day now too tourist, did see some bales/packages floating of lake worth inlet, couple years back

Think Jimmy Buffet got his start there

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Current buddy of mine had "more money than [he] could carry." Had two full timers out breaking hundred dollar bills for awhile. Busted. Kept mouth shut and off to min security. Took a walkabout back to Lauderdale ... Time goes by and one day he makes eye contact with a sheriff with a good memory. 10 long straight years in Fed higher security. No time off. No pass Go. 

I was asked to go on a run from Galveston to Isla M and back with a dockmate. Got to say was tempted but passed. It was a successful run. 30' wooden sloop was abandoned at marina. I bought it somewhat underhandedly for $100 and back slip rent. 

Good times. Proof we're old is having to explain the term square grouper, eh?

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL

I lived in Miami in the 70's and 80's and the image you saw wasn't what I lived through. Lots of smugglers but far more of us who did not. We just don't make headlines.

I have it on good authority that a square grouper was landed in the Keys a few years ago, so they're not extinct. Our running joke back in the day was to call any unidentified floating object a bale until proven otherwise. I never found one.

Jkdubz808

Super Anarchist
Stuart, FL
A pretty decent bar at Jupiter inlet happens to be "The Square Grouper."  My daughter is planning on having her wedding reception "after party" there in about 6 months.  Assuming that we all don't die from COVID before then.  
Spent a lot of money many times at that place, love it.  Haven't been there in awhile for obvious reasons.

How do you think the USCG pays it's bills

square grouper , is right up the street from where I hang , great in day now too tourist, did see some bales/packages floating of lake worth inlet, couple years back

Think Jimmy Buffet got his start there
Between SG and Tikis I have spent many evenings there.  Pulled up on the center console for dinner/beverages more than a few times.  The amount of snook under those docks at night is amazing.

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
Chootem Elizabethe!!!!!                                      :)
You're not allowed to do that.  But it didn't stop one little old in my Sunday School class when I spent a few years in south Georgia.  The preacher sometimes had to take a boat from his front door.  When the river rises it's not just all boats that rise.  Every thread needs music.