Don't MoveTo Florida

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
That was my first guess until I read Jules' post that it was an actual professional. Or claimed to be.

There are skilled workers here but we do have more than our share of ones... like that.

I don't mind the heat but almost melted today while sailing a Sunfish. Being on a roof on a day like today would be absolute misery. And it's not even August yet.
About a year ago, I went up there and slapped some caulking down as a temporary fix.  It wasn't pretty but I was dying from the heat.  I figured I'd go back when it was cooler to do a better job.   This is what it looked like after my quick fix.

Roof_PreMK_001.jpg

The roofer we hired said, after he checked it out, that it looked like an amateur did some caulking.  So I figured his guys would be doing a much better job.  Guess I was wrong.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
There are skilled workers here
Wish I knew how to find them.  When we had the driveway done, I did the CAD drawings for bidding purposes.  The contractor used that to get a permit.  Their layout guy arrived with a hammer, some stakes and bendy board.  I asked him, "Where's your transit?"  He didn't have one.  "Do you have the plans?"  He didn't, so I printed out new plans and had him help me layout the driveway. 

When we had the roof cleaned, I asked the guy if he needed to cover anything.  He said no.  After he left, plants began to wither and I found white spots on the outdoor furniture cushions.  Chlorine damage was everywhere. 

Now this.

Customers all gave these guys great ratings.  What I'm learning is most people here don't know shit about quality work.  They just pick up the phone when something needs to be done.

Windward

Super Anarchist
I'm still confused about the ridgecap in the valley.

Is that how thick tiles are done?  I really don't know.

gptyk

Anarchist
California
I'm still confused about the ridgecap in the valley.

Is that how thick tiles are done?  I really don't know.
No. Don't use convex where concave is needed. And roofing is all about gravity sucking. And where does it suck there? Against caulk that's gonna fail. A concave (typical metal flashed) valley shouldn't leak there. And surely wouldn't have 42 tubes of goo smeared all over it.  The video posted above where the roofing co in Rancho fixed a valley? That's the way to do it. Peel it back and fix the leaking flashing. May as well get a gallon of flex seal and dump it down the roof for what the caulk is going to do....

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
A concave (typical metal flashed) valley shouldn't leak there.
There might be an issue with metal flashing due to exposure to salt air.  When we were getting estimates for a new roof I asked about doing a metal roof.  I was told the manufacturer will not warranty a metal roof within 5 miles of salt water bodies.

Everyone I talked to said it's the underlayment that does the waterproofing with clay/concrete roofs.  IIRC, Miami-Dade code calls for adhesive-backed underlayment.  From what I've seen here, the stuff looks like thick rubber, 

Just after we moved here I saw this and freaked out only to later be told that's what the weep holes are for.

TileRoof_Rain_01.jpg

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
There might be an issue with metal flashing due to exposure to salt air.  When we were getting estimates for a new roof I asked about doing a metal roof.  I was told the manufacturer will not warranty a metal roof within 5 miles of salt water bodies.
Then you must be using low-class shit metal for the roofs.

Here you can count on 30+ years from a metal roof. One of my houses is within 200m of the tide line and the roof is as good as the day I did it 15 years ago. The other house is further from the coast but less than 1 km from a salt tidal river. That roof is just coming up to 30 years and there isn't a single trace of rust.

I have never, ever seen a tile roof with valleys done in such a fashion. It's just *wrong*. Even if there's valley flashing underneath, it's still wrong. And if there isn't valley flashing there it's just a major leak waiting to happen.

FKT

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Then you must be using low-class shit metal for the roofs.

Here you can count on 30+ years from a metal roof. One of my houses is within 200m of the tide line and the roof is as good as the day I did it 15 years ago. The other house is further from the coast but less than 1 km from a salt tidal river. That roof is just coming up to 30 years and there isn't a single trace of rust.

I have never, ever seen a tile roof with valleys done in such a fashion. It's just *wrong*. Even if there's valley flashing underneath, it's still wrong. And if there isn't valley flashing there it's just a major leak waiting to happen.

FKT
I just Googled it.  For standard metal roofs, the distance is a mile.  But aluminum and aluminum/zinc apparently are warranted right up to the water's edge.  We're about 35' away.

Windward

Super Anarchist
So the tiles are really there for decoration and UV?

Those weep holes were doing their thing... so it must work.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
You see houses up on the Baltic Sea coast in Germany and Poland with thatched roofs that are amazing.   They are very thick, withstand the ever present wind and last quite a long time.  It's done the old school way as it has for centuries.

ahrenshoop-thatched-roof-reed-beach.jpg

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Thatch roofs are coming back...  Get in early for the smart money investors.
If installed by Simeoles there's tax breaks, don't need certain roofing permits , and cost saings in florida, We told a local bar/restaraut to install them , they went for expensive roll up canvas which ripped in the first wind storm , Where as the old Riveria beach tiki lasted thru a few hurricanes, and took bull dozers to knock it down. I guess the white man knows better!

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
You see houses up on the Baltic Sea coast in Germany and Poland with thatched roofs that are amazing.   They are very thick, withstand the ever present wind and last quite a long time.  It's done the old school way as it has for centuries.

ahrenshoop-thatched-roof-reed-beach.jpg

A Christmas Tree Shop on Cape Cod, had a thatched roof, years ago.  Probably still does??

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
There are a couple of houses in Vancouver done with cedar shingles to look like thatch. Hugely expensive. One of them was redone in the late 70's and it cost 6 figures at a time when you could buy a house for that.

image.png image.png

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
There are a couple of houses in Vancouver done with cedar shingles to look like thatch. Hugely expensive. One of them was redone in the late 70's and it cost 6 figures at a time when you could buy a house for that.

View attachment 375912 View attachment 375913
cedar / wood shingles were the big thing in dallas  back in the 80's and 90's     many , many fires later  they're no long around...   

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Florida contractors...  Don't they have eyes? 

This is the roof work they did yesterday.  They pulled up tiles about 3' on either side of the valley, laid down new underlayment and tarred or foamed up some areas, then laid the tiles back down.  I think after that they got their kids to come in and do the finish work.

View attachment 375408
It's caulked! It'll be good!!!

PSA: Contractors.... you get the quality of work out of them equal to what you put into vetting them! Seriously, talk to references, go see their work... Great, knowledgeable builders are out there and proud craftsman - My new teachers!! They're not cheap tho - but oh so worth it! So worth it!!!

Find one with good references (CHECK THEM!!!), clean, well maintained trucks, tools and non delinquent/criminal staff! I do not like the sheriff showing up at my site looking to serve a heroin/car theft warrant on my framer's crew...