Don't MoveTo Florida

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I know that guy. The good old days. Guess we all know Coral Gables as well. Degrees of separation, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ovb

LarryE

Anarchist
Florida
The big problem for me is, we are so over due for a direct hit from the big one.

We dodged a bullet with  Dorian.

I have shuttered the house, I have 104 panels, 3 of the last 4 years. Getting tired of it.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Nope, not snobby enough....
I'm not snobby, I grew up in Detroit for crissakes.  And no, I was serious.  Somebody point out a better mainland US community for a sailor with a family to live! Newport Beach and La Jolla might be in the ballpark, but questionable breeze... (and don't dare name a cold weather city with shit weather 7 months a year-- that is not a real sailor's town).

There's a reason that a fixer in the Gable or Grove for 800k+, this place is the tits

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
La Jolla wasn't bad place for this Navy brat to surf, sail and dirtbike back in the early 70's.

The%2B1970s%2BSurfing%2BSubculture%2Bby%2BJeff%2BDivine%2B%252840%2529.jpg

The%2B1970s%2BSurfing%2BSubculture%2Bby%2BJeff%2BDivine%2B%252815%2529.jpg

The%2B1970s%2BSurfing%2BSubculture%2Bby%2BJeff%2BDivine%2B%252812%2529.jpg

The%2B1970s%2BSurfing%2BSubculture%2Bby%2BJeff%2BDivine%2B%252814%2529.jpg

The%2B1970s%2BSurfing%2BSubculture%2Bby%2BJeff%2BDivine%2B%252819%2529.jpg

variant-media-Ai1LSeannAs-unsplash.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm not snobby, I grew up in Detroit for crissakes.  And no, I was serious.  Somebody point out a better mainland US community for a sailor with a family to live! Newport Beach and La Jolla might be in the ballpark, but questionable breeze... (and don't dare name a cold weather city with shit weather 7 months a year-- that is not a real sailor's town).

There's a reason that a fixer in the Gable or Grove for 800k+, this place is the tits
A sailor with a family could buy a nice place on the water here and have plenty left over for a nice 4ksb to put at the dock on that kind of budget. No fixing needed. We do have brown water though...

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
    Summer of '69! That was the summer I first escaped from the horror of high school in red clay Redneck North Georgia to the paradise of Southern California. Long Beach/Alamitos Bay and Coronado 15's and 25's at my disposal at the Navy Sailing Facility changed my life. The biggest bonus was having Finn Gold Cup champion and Congressional Cup winner Henry Sprague as my personal sailing trainer! He was still serving his country as a Navy SEAL/RESCUE SWIMMER of the Apollo Recovery Carrier HORNET based right next to the sailing club on the Navy base and Henry somehow managed to get a TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) to the NSC as sailing coach. 

The next year my Dad got transferred to San Diego and the NSC there was even better. No Henry there but they had a fleet of Naval Academy Luders Yawls but even better for me was 5 Flying Dutchman Olympic class sloops. I would binge of sailing for a while and then throw myself into surfing until nearly drowning myself on a big day at Black's or Wind an Sea and then would do another round of sail boat racing. Add dirt bikes and girls and just generally about the coolest place to be a high school boy and I was a lucky dude for sure.

Grabbler

Grabbler
The big problem for me is, we are so over due for a direct hit from the big one.

We dodged a bullet with  Dorian.

I have shuttered the house, I have 104 panels, 3 of the last 4 years. Getting tired of it.
Fuck me!!..."over due"?...Hurricane Michael only hit FL 16 months ago...just how bad is this climate change shit?...

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Fuck me!!..."over due"?...Hurricane Michael only hit FL 16 months ago...just how bad is this climate change shit?...
It hit the least populated spot possible.  Miami, Fort Lauderdale WPB is way over due for a big one.

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
BravoBravo said:
Gawd...I hope not it'll just just flush the human roaches over this way...I dropped a sailor off at his Key Biscayne dig and he gave me short cut directions to the entrance of I-75/Alligator Alley...it took me through   Mogadishu.....errrr.... Opa Locka ....just before dusk..it was errie
Human roaches, that is your reality.  People are.  If you have roaches in your house, that is on you.

Humans are.  Some of us are good, most of us recognize our frailties and try to improve.  You?

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
bring this forum back to the penis state, FL. you Cal if's start your own 
I have lived in Florida (south FL in my youth, NE FL now) all my (too long for my crappy genetics) life,  with the exception of 4 months one fall break from school (Gainesville, still in Florida) in the mid 1970's when I was night dishwasher / sous chef in a vegetarian Italian eatery in Encinitas, surfing my brains out every day at Swamis, Boneyards and D Street, which I could walk to, with an occasional trip to Cardiff, La Jolla, Blacks, Trestles and one glorious trip to Rincon in Santa Barbara.  Please, let then write on about SoCal!

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
Well, as they say, God had to atone for making Houston, so he made Austin.  Same thing about Florida and California.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
There's nothing in Labelle except an orange grove run by a friend of mine.
When we were bringing the boat across Florida I was keeping my sister and her husband up to date on our progress.  As we got close to LaBelle, my BIL commented on what a dump it was.  Then I start seeing these big houses on the river, probably in the high six to seven figure range.  We were both surprised.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
When we were bringing the boat across Florida I was keeping my sister and her husband up to date on our progress.  As we got close to LaBelle, my BIL commented on what a dump it was.  Then I start seeing these big houses on the river, probably in the high six to seven figure range.  We were both surprised.
Hmm, I wonder when they went in. I recall some really nice places on the north side of the waterway, somewhere along there

To be honest, I haven't been there in about 12 years

- DSK

Latest posts