Double Damned 2010

archbald

Hood River Yacht Club's 3rd Annual Double Damned race is on for August 14th 2010. 42 miles downwind in the Gorge. It has blown the last 2 years and odds are it will do it again. Where will you be? Looks like there will be a good fleet of Moores, plus some of the other Hood River and Seattle die hards. Who's in?

NOR at Double Damned 2010

2062457682.jpg

Photo by Sean Trew

1480785969.jpg

Photo by Doug Archbald

1418894619.jpeg

Photo by Dave Lincoln

Well, as you know, #26 is in and looking for the punishment we deserve for sailing all year in such nice conditions that we have up here. Got our 4 lined up and looking forward to 15 knots of breeze, building to 25, building to 35, building to 45, then building to 55 before we make it to the finish at that great yacht club in the Dalles (really a cool place). I hear there will be a Lowly worm, Ehhm....Wild Rumpus at the event this year....

Blue2.JPG 21_d2t8242.jpg

DougsBeach8_8_09.JPG 33_d2t8447.jpg

gallery_21393_117_77597.jpg

Photo's by Sean Trew, Hood River Bed and Breakfast guy and from Dan N.

Last edited by a moderator:

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
#34 is planning to attend, w/fellow sa'ers

have to remember to cut 'barney' down for a shy kite

So I'm moving to Oregon (from the lower Chesapeake Bay) in the first week of August. Can anyone offer me a ride? I've been racing intensively for a year, on J30/J35/S2 7.9, mostly mast and jib trim, but I've bounced around every position including foredeck, except for nav and helm. I'm 21, 5'6", athletic, I'm ready to dive into the NW sailing culture!

Oxygen Mask

Super Anarchist
Oregon USA
So I'm moving to Oregon (from the lower Chesapeake Bay) in the first week of August. Can anyone offer me a ride? I've been racing intensively for a year, on J30/J35/S2 7.9, mostly mast and jib trim, but I've bounced around every position including foredeck, except for nav and helm. I'm 21, 5'6", athletic, I'm ready to dive into the NW sailing culture!
How is your adrenaline/fear tolerance threshold? :D

evsjo

I'm available for the race as well. I'm 17, 165 lbs, 6' 1", live in So Cal, and have a lot of foredeck and trim experience on a Farr 30, Tripp 33, Riechel-Pugh 48, Olson 30, SC 50, plus crew on an International 505. My expereince includes the 2009 Transpac, multiple Whitney Series, and multiple years of racing in almost every major regatta down South. Feel free to PM me for my email and a complete resume.

This race looks like a straight adrenaline rush. I'm down.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Wow - if any of you guys end up with the newbie light air sailor crewing be sure to take video! The look on her face will be worth big money when the dial goes past 11 ha ha! Shy kite would be a nice item to have when the fan really gets going.

Silverbullet

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Wow - if any of you guys end up with the newbie light air sailor crewing be sure to take video! The look on her face will be worth big money when the dial goes past 11 ha ha! Shy kite would be a nice item to have when the fan really gets going.
She may need to tweak her hiking technique. Or not.

photo-45485.jpg

U20guy2

Super Anarchist

photo-45485.jpg
She might want to do a warm up for the Double Dam event by snagging a ride in the Ditch run but thats in a week so might be hard to swing that.

photo-45485.jpg
She might want to do a warm up for the Double Dam event by snagging a ride in the Ditch run but thats in a week so might be hard to swing that.
Other than being downwind there is not much comparison between the two races. I try and tell people exactly what they are getting into on this one. It's a hell of a time, but not your normal sailing venue....

U20guy2

Super Anarchist

photo-45485.jpg
Other than being downwind there is not much comparison between the two races. I try and tell people exactly what they are getting into on this one. It's a hell of a time, but not your normal sailing venue....
I wasn't suggesting they were the same - but a chessy sailor would find either one way WAY different than anything they have ever sailed. Ditch run is a mild introduction to what they would see with the Double Dam race. I sailed up there on the river enough to know the difference. When the wind is on the experiences in the ditch can be similar in some ways but they are not the same in any way for form.

archbald

Cool as the Dalles YC is we are moving the party to HRYC this year. Thinking we may grow out of TDYC anyhow, and at HRYC we can party without a drive ahead of us, and we can offer camping inside the gated yard.

Well, as you know, #26 is in and looking for the punishment we deserve for sailing all year in such nice conditions that we have up here. Got our 4 lined up and looking forward to 15 knots of breeze, building to 25, building to 35, building to 45, then building to 55 before we make it to the finish at that great yacht club in the Dalles (really a cool place). I hear there will be a Lowly worm, Ehhm....Wild Rumpus at the event this year....

View attachment 138407 View attachment 138408

View attachment 138409 View attachment 138410

View attachment 138411

archbald

Oh, and stoked to hear the Lowly Rumpus will be attending. You guys will dig it the most!

Also, for those who don't know, CGRA's CGOD one design regatta is the prior weekend, so if you have a chance come down for some bouy racing the weekend before the Double Damned.

Cool as the Dalles YC is we are moving the party to HRYC this year. Thinking we may grow out of TDYC anyhow, and at HRYC we can party without a drive ahead of us, and we can offer camping inside the gated yard.

View attachment 138407 View attachment 138408

View attachment 138409 View attachment 138410

View attachment 138411