Down To The Wire

And I am sorry to everyone within earshot for the vile words spewing out of my mouth about SA right about that time. :p
No kidding!

I spent about 15 minutes of increasing frustration before I had to go into a meeting. I've never been more thankful for a meeting in my entire life. If I couldn't see it from the office window, and there was no way to get to SA and the IonEarth tracker was showing only 1 transponder ... the next best thing was to be somewhere else. Our meeting room was on the inside of the building (no window) thank goodness.

I love the excitement here - all 200+ viewers were on the edge of their seat. Maybe we'll have to re-think the prematurely reported death of our sport.

How many of us wish we'd been a fly on the shroud since Friday!

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
What a great, hard fought match, it is a shame one of the teams had to lose. Kudos to the Honour crew for sailing better than most thought they could.

I am impressed with the potential of IonEarth, with some tweaks it could be an awesome tool. I would love to see it get used regularly.

Thanks to Al and Mer for their efforts, especially on the last leg when nothing else seemed to be working. I'm sure Clean's phone had to be ringing constantly.

So who got any work done today? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Many Congrats to Team Heartbreaker, and many congrats to Team Honour for the way the sailed their tails off. What a finish, I can only wish I had been there to see it in person.

Now let's see something happen to the Cup that will incorporate more clubs and more boats for the better of the sport.

amymmil

A special thanks goes out to the RCYC organizers, Clean & Mer and Jerry & Russ from IonEarth for making Canada's Cup history. Mer, I hope I did as good of a job as your personal assistant as I did when I was your Fire Marshal at Redico! I want everyone to know how hard you guys worked to get IonEarth up and running and updates and information from the course out to the online racing fans in a timely manner. And great photos, Mer! It's great to see people that are so passionate about what they do and even during a few frustrating technical difficulties, you guys all remained positive and worked as a team to deliver exceptional results and all on little or no sleep. To anyone reading this, I know firsthand because I was there helping them out and they truly worked their asses off.

Great job again you guys and thanks for making it a memorable weekend! Congratulations to Bobby and Team Heartbreaker for a job well done and to Team Honour for doing a great job as well. Both teams worked really hard and deserve a round of applause.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'm too tired to put this on the official website right now, so here's the wrap-up report. There will be a much more in-depth one tomorrow or the next day. Thanks to all of you for helping to make this somewhat irrelevant event into much, much more. I believe Bob H when he says that he will work to make this a true championship for the great lakes, and I'll be following up frequently with him and the nice, down to earth folks at MBYC.

Dave Dellenbaugh told me that the first time he looked at Anarchy was last night, and he couldn't believe all the shit-talking that was going on about his calls. When I asked him if he'd write something up for us explaining why the calls of "why would you separate like that?" are wrong, and stupid. He agreed, and I'll follow up with him tomorrow to get a good little "match racing for spectators" story for the front page. Very cool guy, once he wasn't so annoyed with me throwing him under the bus like that.

Anyway, thanks again. That was too fun.

Team U.S.A. Wins Canada’s Cup in Closest Ever Cup Finish

TORONTO, October 15, 2007 – In the most dramatic finish ever seen in Canada’s Cup competition, U.S. Challenger Robert Hughes and Heartbreaker came from behind on the final leg of the final match race on Monday to cross the finish line less than half a boatlength ahead of Defending team Honour. The win brought the final score of the championship to 5-4 and finally gave Hughes the victory that has eluded him in two prior Cup challenges in 2001 and 2003.

Team Heartbreaker could not contain their enthusiasm as they loaded the Cup into their inflatable tender, racing from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club’s island headquarters to the mainland, hoping to catch their flights back to Michigan. “We can’t wait to bring the Cup to her new home at Macatawa Bay Yacht Club,” said Team Manager Mary DeVries. “This means so much to us – we’ve all been brought along by Bob Hughes’ vision, and now we’ve succeeded at what he started years ago.”

Extremely light winds on Monday made both races long, mentally frustrating affairs. With America’s Cup tacticians Gavin Brady and Dave Dellenbaugh battling it out every bit as much as the helmsman they directed, the final margin of victory was less than 3 seconds. Honour held a 19-second lead at the final upwind mark, and only 200 yards from the finish line, Heartbreaker was still trailing. “It was one little puff,” said losing skipper Alec Krstajic. “That was the match. One tiny little puff of wind that Heartbreaker brought right to the finish – the whole thing came down to that.”

Hughes hopes to work with other prominent Great Lakes clubs in both the U.S. and Canada to build on the momentum of this exciting and suspenseful Canada’s Cup match. With thousands of on-line spectators for IonEarth’s superb GPS-based coverage, and massive interest in the 21st running of the Cup, it’s clear that the interest in match racing on the Great Lakes is at an all-time high. Macatawa Bay is targeting 2009 for the next defense of the Cup – and according to Macatawa Bay, the event should remove any doubt that the Canada’s Cup Championship stands for supremacy in match racing on the Great Lakes.

The entire series of races will be available to view at IonEarth later this week. Races can be replayed free of charge at www.ionearth.com. Photos and crew information from the 21st Canada’s Cup will also be available later this week at www.cancuplive.com. For high-resolution photos of the event, please contact [email protected]

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Thanks Clean for all you're doing to move our sport forward. I'm really, really, really looking forward to DD's explanations of his calls; I hope it'll enlighten me and make me a better sailor.

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Also- Clean, do you know if the Ion Earth replays will be smoother than the 15 second updates? Something like a kattack track would be easier to watch...

Cheers,

Kyle

mikedunn17

where will all the pictures be posted? congrats to heartbeaker and honour you put on one of the most entertaining regatta series to date.