Down To The Wire

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
We know that this isn't the reason it's so late, but you've got a better chance of breeze here this time of year than in the summer so I'd not suggest that timing is the issue. As for Saturday I cannot comment from my armchair but it did seem that the conditions were above their prescribed limit all day.....weren't they? Who knows, but it's always preferrable to win or lose on the water.
Oh no, I didn't mean to blame timing for the conditions Saturday and today. Summer is worse -- I've bobbed around off EYC in August, I know what you mean. I was thinking late September, but I don't know the details of what and why it's in mid-October. There are probably valid reasons.

They might have got one off late Saturday (SF shows the western LO buoy and YYZ below 20 kts), but by the time they would have seen it easing it would have been too late to get out and start.

Wind limits were not exceeded until 2 PM
Sandstone, I'm looking at buoy and airport data -- it looks to me like it was still blowing hard Saturday morning (while the 4200 was setting).

Clean was there -- were they in no hurry because they knew the wind was blowing too hard (in excess of 22 kts sustained)? (I think you said that they were all wanting to go...)

(And I'm going on remote data too -- I was sitting here watching it rain all day.)

 

Sandstone

Super Anarchist
1,527
1
West MI
If you whingers just go on the net you can find out who Ellison's lawyers are and then....

Fuck off Newb. Ok, fine. Before I have to go to a meeting, I will say that if I was in the middle of a major championship, the very last thing I would do is wait until mid morning the following day before a race to investigate a potential and VERY critical performance and/or safety problem. That in instelf should lend itself to suspicion. If I were on the jury I would have asked H when they first knew there could be a problem (by their own admission it was the previous day), why did they fail to investigate the matter as to not cause a delay, is the repair needed critical to safety or just performance?

 
Last edited by a moderator:

L Z

Reporters
I would be very curious to find out why they set the max wind limit at 22 which is less than most RCs which is usually 25. Either way, these boats can, will and should be sailing fine at over that wind speed - as they did in the 2000 Farr 40 Worlds in Newport.

Would also be really interesting to find out who's in the International Judge's panel and where they are from. Can anyone find out and post?

 

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
Fuck off Newb. Ok, fine. Before I have to go to a meeting, I will say that if I was in the middle of a major championship, the very last thing I would do is wait until mid morning the following day before a race to investigate a potential and VERY critical performance problem.
i visited holland michigan once.........seemed like nice decent people with a bit of vocabulary.....are you an immigrant there?
Children, children...

Sure, they should have seen it earlier. They didn't. That one's been beaten to death.

It [the rudder bearing issue] was poorly managed, [but] there's no real question of conspiracy, is there? I mean that's giving people a lot of credit [for brains], I think.

Better question -- how to fix these things next time? Increase the threshold to 25 kts? Be firmer on the time limits? Give the RC flexibility to promote the best racing possible? [What else needs to be addressed in the next match?] Let's start THAT topic instead.

[AND they just may race today after all.]

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lamps

Anarchist
558
1
I looked out the window and saw a line of smog (that wonderful yellow/brown line across the horizon) ... that means no wind-flow in the immediate vicinity.
Will they take this in to tomorrow? What's protocol in a situation like this?
looking out the window right now across toronto island and out to the lake, light rain, maybe a couple knots of breeze blowing from the north

 

LateNite

Super Anarchist
1,125
0
Windy City
On IonEarth, It looks like a starting line has been set and the boats are moving at 6 knots. If under sail, that implies there is a reasonable breeze out there.

 

polarbear

Anarchist
667
0
Lake Ontario
Given the circumstances on Saturday, I think the Gentlemen from RCYC should offer

to race on Tuesday (nice wind in the forecast). I don't know if this would work given

everybody's schedules or whether you can do this within the rules, but it would be

a very nice thing to do...

 

in_TO

Super Anarchist
1,127
12
I would be very curious to find out why they set the max wind limit at 22 which is less than most RCs which is usually 25. Either way, these boats can, will and should be sailing fine at over that wind speed - as they did in the 2000 Farr 40 Worlds in Newport.
No doubt Farr 40s can race in wind speeds over 25 knots, but that was not really the issue. Milner's call on the radio to abandon said it all (and I'm paraphrasing here): "these conditions are not suitable for match racing." (Emphasis mine.)

 
Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Moderator
45,922
4,186
Not here
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #35
Welcome race fans. There IS breeze. Not much, but it looks like 6 or 7 where I'm standing on the bridge of Fred Sherragg's gorgeous Tiara Express 40. I love to be a pimp.

Both competitors are sailing along, and we're optimistic that we'll have a start.

 

Lamps

Anarchist
558
1
On IonEarth, It looks like a starting line has been set and the boats are moving at 6 knots. If under sail, that implies there is a reasonable breeze out there.
could be, hard to tell wind speed with the rain, and if they are out in the lake a bit they would have a little more air since breeze is offshore, at least here

a building blocks my view of half the lake, I can't see them

 

MR.CLEAN

Moderator
45,922
4,186
Not here
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #37
All of the buoys are finally working at IonEarth, and Russ has added some new features, so it should really work nicely today. RC just announced over the radio that it is their intention to go into a warning at 1100, 1.2 nm, 275 degrees.

Plenty of breeze out here, but definitely puffy and holey across the course.

 
Welcome race fans. There IS breeze. Not much, but it looks like 6 or 7 where I'm standing on the bridge of Fred Sherragg's gorgeous Tiara Express 40. I love to be a pimp.
Both competitors are sailing along, and we're optimistic that we'll have a start.

It's nice to see Clean reporting from one of our fine products.

 
looking out the window right now across toronto island and out to the lake, light rain, maybe a couple knots of breeze blowing from the north
I'm on the 23rd floor of the Toronto Star bldg > just looked out to see if I could see any motion either from boats or flags.

Flags are by no means "lively" although there are intermittent signs of life.

Didn't see the boats, but per Clean's message they're moving - they must be close to Centennial Pier and so hidden from my view. I think I can see 1 mark, vaguely. Looks like I'll be hanging out here for details.

Today will be a really tough day - who ever wins today will win on skill. Killer racing when there are only light winds with odd puffs to push you along. <sigh> Wish I was down there rather than up here!

G O H O N O U R !!!

 
Top