Down To The Wire

newbury

AAARRRGGGGHHH. About 12:45 Honour's display stopped updating. She had been consistently sailing lower than HB, at the same speed. Then HB gybed a total of 5 times until she crossed the line. Honour's display never changed.

Someone take pity on me and do a play by play....please

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I expect the Dawg or Ed to show up in here and let us know what happened to SA, but it was down for a bit there. We're back up - but something happened to Honour's transponder during a gybe, and she stopped sending. This is infuriating!

Jerry jumped on the boat in between races, replaced the unit, but we can't get it to display - the problem may actually have been with the battery pack.

When the organizers understand how important the live stuff is, they will write provisions into the SI's where we can postpone to fix this kind of thing. Until then, you'll all have to be happy with the play by play.

7 minutes until the start. We're here, we'll keep you posted.

-Clean

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
I expect the Dawg or Ed to show up in here and let us know what happened to SA, but it was down for a bit there. We're back up - but something happened to Honour's transponder during a gybe, and she stopped sending. This is infuriating!
Jerry jumped on the boat in between races, replaced the unit, but we can't get it to display - the problem may actually have been with the battery pack.

When the organizers understand how important the live stuff is, they will write provisions into the SI's where we can postpone to fix this kind of thing. Until then, you'll all have to be happy with the play by play.
And that we will...

In future, for match races, could there be 2 transmitters on each boat? IonEarth can choose which signal to post, and switch if one goes away... (BTW, can't they use the cell network instead of satellite for comms off the transmitters?)

[EDIT -- The Lo-fi is about 2 hours behind at this point -- can we all agree (as the numbers come back up past 160) to refresh no more than every 5 minutes? -- I take it back, it seems to be good.]

Boy, you sure miss it once it goes...

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Honour wins the 10 degree favored right, split tacks up the first beat. Honour with more pressure, and with a hell of a right shift, honour looking amazingly good right now.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Wind goes back to the left, with Honour all the way on the right! Separation of a quarter mile right now, Honour is 15 degrees higher than HB, now on the same board.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
HB can't get across Honour's bow, and tacks back to the left, leading honour to that side! The Canucks on this boat are as somber as undertakers. C'mon USA!