Down To The Wire

Well this has made my computer (and the SA server) unhappy but the result was worth it. Ion earth was like a golf clap after we lost Honour's tracker and I was dying to know where it was.

GREAT JOB ALL. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ_IonEarth

Sorry for the delay in getting replays published everyone. Normally we publish replays with about 10% of the data collected. For long distance racing or desert racing it works great. For the short course racing it just looks awful. I have 4 days of transmissions with 20 second intervals to chew through.

I'll keep at it and post here when replays are available and won't kill your computers. I'll see if Alan can send out a notice to everyone when it's available. Great job everyone, it was a fun weekend. :eek: )

polarbear

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Thanks Russ and co. for the coverage. You guys really improved the software over the

weekend. I had no real issues left today (using a Mac and firefox). Too bad we lost

the signal from Honour... Need some redundancy next time around (and live audio

commentary on the net).

jamiem

BY THE NOSE! awesome series I have been glued as well.

oh so close... well Honour you are not alone - I think we've all been there and wanted to go back in time and do something different... Congrats to Heartbreaker boys. BIG Congrats to Honour Boys. Nice work.

(Gotta watch this with sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdm2EbYbkzw

Will

Way to go Robert and team HB! Thanks to clean for the reporting and Mer for the photos. Now let's do this again in 2 years in GP33's or GP42's. Custom boats like the old days. Although, I guess it would be hard to get better racing than we just witnessed.

Hippie

Anarchist
Wayzata, MN
Clean,

Fantastic job all around. Now that racing is over I am posting. You should be the only one posting on this thing. My company intranet works really well, we have a private IM room this way you get really cool live minimal delay shit.

Cheers,

Hippie

Barkley

Super Anarchist
C eh N eh D eh.
Hey gang.

In a word, shit. OK - enough homerism.

Race 8 - Honour won the start hands down, but a third of the way up the beat pulls a DD. Just don't understand it..

Race 9 - We had the start battery hooked up to the defibulator just in case. God damn. Last beat HB protects the left with a loose cover on port tack and tacking in Honour's face on starboard. Each tack Honour takes a bite, but HB tactics are by the book. About 10 yards from the windward there is a puff on the right, it doesn't fill in and Honour takes advantage. Rounds first, with HB a boatlength and a half behind. Both have traditional sets, and HB takes half a boatlength over the 2/3rds of downhill (all on port). There is a small pressure difference coming in from the other side of the course, but HB is in the controlling position, and most would have waited for H to gybe to plant on them. Anyway, DD gybes early for the new pressure and ... Honour lets them go. No sense in gybing into shadow, and a little separation would have been a good thing, but IMHO they let 'em get too far. Anyway, HB gets the pressure and boatspeed, then Honour gets a shift and runs hotter down to the finish. First HB, then Honour gybe to port for the final run. Separation is 6 boatlenghts, and Honour on HB's beam for the photo finish. God damn!

Congratulations to both crews for a hell of a series. 9 races, and overlap at the finish at the final gun. Just amazing!

flaps15

Super Anarchist
dna level c
Clean,
Fantastic job all around. Now that racing is over I am posting. You should be the only one posting on this thing. My company intranet works really well, we have a private IM room this way you get really cool live minimal delay shit.

Cheers,

Hippie
Do you have lap dances too?

dprobable

Jobson is a has-been.
Team Clean is the future!

Great job to all involved in this event.
I agree except in respect of Jobson, a cancer survivor. I think this will be the last Canada's Cup for a very long time. RHYC is functus. RCYC is embarking Aug/08 on a 20 million $ rebuild of the Island and docks and that leaves no money or interest for CC challenges. There is no other Cdn yacht club in the running. What you Yanks forget is that Canada is 1/10th your size both as to GDP and GNP and population. The quality percentage of our sailors is far greater than your percentage of skill demographic but it is still all about money. I have no doubt HB maintained some sort of tax dodge with IRS but CCRA in Canada allows no tax protection. Thus, I suggest your win kills the cup during our life spans. Trala............

Hippie

Anarchist
Wayzata, MN
Every other Thursday, but you have to be here at 7 am. Sometimes Polish but usually Puertorican. Moving the office to North Ave. in a few weeks. They have a stipulation in the lease that looks ill on this sort of behavior. Only two dances left before the move.

L Z

Reporters
CONGRATULATIONS to Bob Hughes and the entire Team Heartbreaker! Awesome racing - even from my office seat! Third time IS a charm and you can now bring the Canada's Cup back to the USA where it really belongs - in spite of the name :) . Well done guys and girl.

Congratulations also to Team Honour for stepping up to the plate to Defend the Canada's Cup and in a short time provide such a competitive series all the way to the wire. Hold your heads high, you deserve for a well fought series.

Here's hoping that we don't have to wait too long for the next Canada's Cup series.

Luiz

p.s. and how could I forget... Thanks to Mer, Clean and all those at Ionearth for the great coverage. Most excellent job!

Well done to both teams, and a big congratulations to Team Heartbreaker!

Thanks also to the Clean's and all for the great coverage - I ave never been so glued to a forum as I was yesterday and today.

Awesome job - this is a series for the history books!!!

Barkley

Super Anarchist
C eh N eh D eh.
... About 10 yards from the windward ...
That would be about 150 yards from the windward. Typo.

Another note. HB should by all rights have rounded the last windward ahead of Honour. Honour got the pressure, tacked and came in on starboard at least two - probably three boatlengths from the S layline. HB, coming in on port, tacks right into shit and stays there for 6 or 7 boatlengths. DD should have ducked H's stern and had Starboard advantage and inside position at the mark - instead he had to live then follow in dirt. Made us Canuckistanians shake our heads in wonder but also in thanks.

EDIT: there is another thread in SA here: http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=62035