Dreadlocks needs a new home

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
Jeff Hammer and his Tartan Ten, Dreadlocks, was a dominant force in Long Island Sound Racing for many years. Hell, even Mr. Esposito said nice stuff about him!  When Jeff passed away in 2016, his daughter took on the stewardship of the mighty Dread. Yesterday, however, she sent the following email to the ex-crew:

Greetings Crew,
I hope everyone has had a great summer and that you and your families are doing well. I am writing to inquire if anyone has or knows of someone who is interested in taking over the Dread. My family life has become too busy with all of the kid's activities to have time for the boat. She still sails nicely and the motor has been working consistently with the addition of two new batteries. The running light are not working currently, but the depth finder and other electronics are ok. The cabin is still stripped down and put together with duck tape but that is how it has been for years. ;) Please forward this to anyone else who might be interested in the boat or sails. If I can't find someone who wants the boat I will be sending to the junkyard. Please get in touch with any leads...

Jeff always had great sails and gear, but cosmetics were always a secondary concern (OK, maybe tertiary.)  Before you tell me to buy an ad, I should make it clear that Jeff's daughter is not looking for money.  If anyone is interested in inheriting one of the fastest Tartan Tens anywhere, please send a PM.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
not to sidetrack the thread too much, but of all the threads on here that have discussed the decline of sailing...

the note from the owner says it all......

it's sad that the kids activities aren't centered around their boat and keeping the memory and legacy going.

CJV

Super Anarchist
Long Island, NY
not to sidetrack the thread too much, but of all the threads on here that have discussed the decline of sailing...

the note from the owner says it all......

it's sad that the kids activities aren't centered around their boat and keeping the memory and legacy going.
If ye knew The Dread... it's not a boat for a young family. I know from my own experience that, once land-based sports and kids activities take off, it's very hard to get the kids back on the water under sail.

footlong

Super Anarchist
Lawnguyland
I really miss walking up to the club and seeing Jeff and crew sitting at one of the tables at Manhasset Fall Series.  I hope Dreadlocks finds a good home and shows up on the race course again.

jesposito

Super Anarchist
I really miss walking up to the club and seeing Jeff and crew sitting at one of the tables at Manhasset Fall Series.  I hope Dreadlocks finds a good home and shows up on the race course again.
+100

He was a great guy  and competitor and fun to sail against, they kept us on our toes all the time.

The crew were 2nd to none, awesome group to chat with at Manhasset or anywhere they were 

rdavis

Was thinking about getting back on the water and sailing with my daughter again, but this time in race mode. Then I saw this. I told her to mention this to her friends at school (SUNY Maritime), I'll let you know if there is interest. But I am think, by the time I find a full crew, they will all be shipping out then... Calling Kevin today

House Salad

Anarchist
WLIS
Dreadlocks IMG_1847.jpg

Raked Aft\\

Super Anarchist
The North Coast
There's a sailing foundation here in Cleveland with two T10's now.

I shot the director an email on Dred.  hopefully they can grab and save her from the glue factory...

fucket

Anarchist
Chicago, IL
You guys going to take it back to OD to play with all the other tens in Cleveland?

Edit: Not sure how far away it is from OD legal. The first picture looked like there weren't rails, but I see some short rails in the second pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
You guys going to take it back to OD to play with all the other tens in Cleveland?

Edit: Not sure how far away it is from OD legal. The first picture looked like there weren't rails, but I see some short rails in the second pic.
I am thinking the OD problems might be on the inside.

Latest posts