Dreadnought I14

Andrew P

Anyone in the Uk that would like to expand on the design of this new i14 with the wave peircing bow? Is it the Hollom design hull, Bieker modified or a new design? Has the deck line been tucked in significantly from the norm? How is the pole to be mounted etc?

I14 dreadnought.jpg

Shu

Super Anarchist
Appears to have wings aft. Might it be a cherub? The cherub rules allow a narrower hull, so it seems the cherub might be a better fit for the wave piercing design.

Last edited by a moderator:

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
Anyone in the Uk that would like to expand on the design of this new i14 with the wave peircing bow? Is it the Hollom design hull, Bieker modified or a new design? Has the deck line been tucked in significantly from the norm? How is the pole to be mounted etc?
what did it say from where you sourced the picture from ?

Ed Clay

It's one of a pair of boats being built by George Nurton (who used to sail with Archie and was very involved of the building of their B5), Douglas Pattison and Mark Tait. The design was done by Tom Partington (Southampton University yacht design student and 14 crew) with input from George.

It's got a slightly flatter rocker than other current designs, is on the minimum rise of floor, has the dreadnought bow to reduce the drag from the topsides when the rudder is wound on upwind and has solid wings. It's being home built in a garage in Winchester in the UK and the hull was made in moulds that split longitudinally, partly due to lack of space in the garage. As I understand it the pole is going to be mounted fairly conventionally with a pole tube at the top of the bow.

Hopefully Douglas and Mark will be sailing theirs at the PoW in just over 2 weeks time - will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ed

Andrew P

It's one of a pair of boats being built by George Nurton (who used to sail with Archie and was very involved of the building of their B5), Douglas Pattison and Mark Tait. The design was done by Tom Partington (Southampton University yacht design student and 14 crew) with input from George.

It's got a slightly flatter rocker than other current designs, is on the minimum rise of floor, has the dreadnought bow to reduce the drag from the topsides when the rudder is wound on upwind and has solid wings. It's being home built in a garage in Winchester in the UK and the hull was made in moulds that split longitudinally, partly due to lack of space in the garage. As I understand it the pole is going to be mounted fairly conventionally with a pole tube at the top of the bow.

Hopefully Douglas and Mark will be sailing theirs at the PoW in just over 2 weeks time - will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ed
Cheers Ed thanks for the info.

Are the mid sections more V'd like the Hollom hull?

How has the Hollom hull gone to date?

Andrew

Ed Clay

Cheers Ed thanks for the info.

Are the mid sections more V'd like the Hollom hull?

How has the Hollom hull gone to date?

Andrew
No it's got more rounded mid sections, similar to the Biekers and Morrisons.

The Hollom has only been out a few times with other boats. They seem to be going ok, the design is certainly not a dog - middle of the pack sort of pace at the moment - and with two people who, although very handy sailors, are new to 14s and a brand new boat to set up it was always going to take some time to really see how good the design is. Open meetings the next two weekends and PoW should give a bit more of a guide.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Hard wings are interesting development of Howie's cloths, any word on how that goes? Angle and height issues?

Hard wings are interesting development of Howie's cloths, any word on how that goes? Angle and height issues?
The Cloth between the racks that Howie used were simply there to keep the sheets in the boat and out of the water. While quite effective, a simple shock cord take up does the same thing and reduces drag in waves. The cloths have since been removed. The UK boat recently launched looks interesting and I'd like to know the the J dimension compared to a Typical Object 2 B5. I imagine the bow arrangement places the jib tack farther aft reducing sail area in the jib or is the mast farther back to accommodate?

Andrew P

The Cloth between the racks that Howie used were simply there to keep the sheets in the boat and out of the water. While quite effective, a simple shock cord take up does the same thing and reduces drag in waves. The cloths have since been removed. The UK boat recently launched looks interesting and I'd like to know the the J dimension compared to a Typical Object 2 B5. I imagine the bow arrangement places the jib tack farther aft reducing sail area in the jib or is the mast farther back to accommodate?

Archie's POW report on the Uk web page appears to have gone but the report indicated that Douglas in the new boat had to retire from the POW race for the lack of kick rails to be able to manouver in and out of the boat.

Cut down version on the Y&Y report page.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=152869

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Interesting, thanks for that. "Lack of kick rails = skidding and sliding around on the decks then falling and crashing at bad moments?

Andrew P

Archie's POW report on the Uk web page appears to have gone but the report indicated that Douglas in the new boat had to retire from the POW race for the lack of kick rails to be able to manouver in and out of the boat.

Cut down version on the Y&Y report page.

Link to http://ianroman.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/POW-2010/G00006YLTL1C4ao0/I0000jOs20otdZ5Q for photo of the new vessel

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=152869

joe.bersch

I am curious about whether there is any more feedback on this new design? Any info on the general shape, rocker, etc. compared to a B5? What rig do they have? Shrouds out on racks or on gunwales? Other than the bow, anything of note? Looking forward to hearing more about her perfoprmance and other's thoughts.

FJB

Tom Partington

Hi guys,

I'm Tom Partington (I14 GBR 1540) the designer of the boat featured in this tread. The offical name for the hull is the "tingtong".

There is no rocker in the aft run with a slightly fuller forward sections compared to a B5 and as ed mentioned ealier the mid sections are U shaped. Two boats have currently been made, one for george nurton ( The Hoff) and one for Douglas Pattison ( pamella). They are both using C-tech masts and the shouds are on the gunwales. The solid racks were designed into the mould to allow for a cheaper build and a more following deck. ( based on the 49er is much nicer to tack than a 14)

Douglas recently came 2nd at the europeans with george coming second in the only race he managed to finish. Looking like 2 more boats will be built this winter.

The moulds are currently available for a home build option.

Tom Partington

Latest posts