Drip Drip Drip

learningJ24

Super Anarchist
what would be perceived as a political coup turning into a violent response. 
I think you over-estimate the appetite for violence in the general population. The 3%'ers, Proud Boys, some of the Christian Identity and white nationalists would probably show up but I think the vast majority of regular people would simply demand order be restored. Then demand these groups be stomped flat as domestic terrorists. A lot of these guys are inheritors of that anarchist/post-apocalyptic/end times fantasy of the 70's and 80's but won't last when it's shown how much of a minority they are. If that kind of violence was probable, we would have seen it after the 2000 and 2016 elections.

What it really comes down to is those that get spun up at the thought of political violence are a minority of a minority (hence the 3%er term) and the idea that the 3rd Infantry Division would desert in mass to support them or that a bunch of wannabe's running around in camo could stand up to a veteran military unit is ludicrous.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
I call bullshit on the “it’s a coup” opinion.

IF impeachment proceedings received the proper votes in the House and the Senate, such a 2/3rds majority would require the assent of enough Republicans to make this a bipartisan affair.

Trump/Pence would have been investigated by Republicans, impeached by Republicans & judged by Republicans with full knowledge of the ramifications.

FOXy News would be on board and the lemmings would follow, chanting “for the good of the nation.”

Do not underestimate the power of propaganda.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
I call bullshit on the “it’s a coup” opinion.

IF impeachment proceedings received the proper votes in the House and the Senate, such a 2/3rds majority would require the assent of enough Republicans to make this a bipartisan affair.

Trump/Pence would have been investigated by Republicans, impeached by Republicans & judged by Republicans with full knowledge of the ramifications.

FOXy News would be on board and the lemmings would follow, chanting “for the good of the nation.”

Do not underestimate the power of propaganda.
Any talk about impeachment (except perhaps on partisan forums like this) is premature imo. Pelosi understands this. 

Let Mueller and the NY Southern District finish their work and assess the situation then. Absent some pretty damning findings, we’re just going to have to wait 22 months to have our say. In the meantime, we can only blame the morans that voted for this weasel in the first place. It was plainly obvious well before the ‘16 elections that the man was (and is) not fit for office. 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
The violent response is a joke. Who are the old fat white guys going to go after? Prius and Subaru owners?  They will just bitch and moan louder and put bumper stickers on their trucks. Any armed response will end faster than the dance contest at the old folks home.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Let's unravel that a bit. Speaker Pelosi only becomes Pres if your boy Shitstain and his boy Mike get the boot for, you know, selling out the country to Putin and that this only happens over and above the objections of McConnell who when he was informed of the Russian election interference in September 2016 threatened to cast it as partisan politics. With that proviso, you're saying that should all that come to pass, we had better not install Speaker Pelosi as the Constitution requires because you'd expect fighting in the streets.

I'll admit that it's hard to separate what you think from what you want. To your point, yeah, these guys might whip out their dogballs.

image.png

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I think you misunderstood my intent:  It's not hate for Mme Pelosi - but a recognition of distrust of the Democrats in general among many of the hard-core right. If the Pres and VP are disposed w/the result being that the D Speaker became President?  I don't think that that would sit well with most on the right, and I could see the result of that distrust and what would be perceived as a political coup turning into a violent response. 
I think you missed mine too.

If you ask the average Republican what would happen if Pelosi was president that would be bad, what would the list look like? Outside of a generalized hate for all things Democrat, I honestly don't know what they think she would do.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Let's unravel that a bit. Speaker Pelosi only becomes Pres if your boy Shitstain and his boy Mike get the boot for, you know, selling out the country to Putin and that this only happens over and above the objections of McConnell who when he was informed of the Russian election interference in September 2016 threatened to cast it as partisan politics. With that proviso, you're saying that should all that come to pass, we had better not install Speaker Pelosi as the Constitution requires because you'd expect fighting in the streets.

I'll admit that it's hard to separate what you think from what you want. To your point, yeah, these guys might whip out their dogballs.

<SNIP stupid picture that has nothing to do with the conversation>
You really do like responding to your own projections instead of what I said, don't you?    I'm merely sharing observations, and making a prediction of likely reactions should a certain series of events come to pass.   "Your boy Shitstain"?  When have you ever heard me advocate for Trump?  Advocating against some of the baseless bullshit flying around in here certainly doesn't equate to that - but, I know you like to say so. 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
This Republican Revolt thing is a fantasy IMHO as far as a grassroots effort. What exactly does anyone think will happen? Bunch of deplorables grabbing their guns and heading to the White House? Does anyone think this would have any other result than rednecks in jail?

The danger comes from Republicans in government, not from Billy Bob's Gun Club.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I think you missed mine too.

If you ask the average Republican what would happen if Pelosi was president that would be bad, what would the list look like? Outside of a generalized hate for all things Democrat, I honestly don't know what they think she would do.
You're right - I did miss that, I thought you were inquiring as to why I thought there would be angst, and IMHO, that's got nuttin' to do w/the fact that the Speaker is Mme Pelosi.    To your question?   Aside from the fact that she has different legislative priorities than I do, and that I think that she suffers from the same ailment that many/most of our legislators do, in that they don't feel the need to completely understand what they're proposing/voting on before they do, I don't think I could come up with a list of bad "things" that would be specific to Mme Pelosi.   Anger/disagreement w/much of the D agenda?  Yeah, I think that there'd be plenty of that.   

Look at the response we've seen from the left since Trump was elected - and he WAS elected.  Can you imagine that the response from the right would be muted should it come to pass that Mme Pelosi is deposited into the WH without being elected?    As to the violence?  I don't see it as an armed revolt marching up the steps in DC as much as I see it as smaller groups who feel disenfranchised responding with violent protest.   The Watts riots weren't an armed insurrection - but, they certainly were a violent protest, weren't they? 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
You're right - I did miss that, I thought you were inquiring as to why I thought there would be angst, and IMHO, that's got nuttin' to do w/the fact that the Speaker is Mme Pelosi.    To your question?   Aside from the fact that she has different legislative priorities than I do, and that I think that she suffers from the same ailment that many/most of our legislators do, in that they don't feel the need to completely understand what they're proposing/voting on before they do, I don't think I could come up with a list of bad "things" that would be specific to Mme Pelosi.   Anger/disagreement w/much of the D agenda?  Yeah, I think that there'd be plenty of that.   

Look at the response we've seen from the left since Trump was elected - and he WAS elected.  Can you imagine that the response from the right would be muted should it come to pass that Mme Pelosi is deposited into the WH without being elected?    As to the violence?  I don't see it as an armed revolt marching up the steps in DC as much as I see it as smaller groups who feel disenfranchised responding with violent protest.   The Watts riots weren't an armed insurrection - but, they certainly were a violent protest, weren't they? 
If the Ds were smart and managed to boot Tump out the door or force him to resign, I think their best move would to be slow-rolling anything on Pence with the understanding he doesn't run in 2020. I actually would love to see a no-incumbent race.

Latest posts