Drip Drip Drip

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
That bothsiderism isn't washing here. The current Repugnican party has got to be one of the most corrupt, anti-democratic group of shysters ever.
I'll agree with you as it pertains to the current occupants of the WH.  I'll suggest that while you dislike the Rs more, that that dislike doesn't equate to the Ds not stretching everything that they can as well to push their agenda.  Who broke the filibuster rule for nominees?   What happened after that - did the other side come in and say "We don't think that should have happened, let's restore that minority power"?   No - they stretched it even further, and I fully expect that the Ds won't hesitate to do the same in every situation in which they get a majority and the ability to adjust the rules.  

I was listening to NPR on the way in this AM - and there was a discussion on ending the filibuster altogether - and there are several who are vying for the D nomination who vocally support this idea as the "easiest way for us to advance the progressive agenda".  It sounds to me like they're willing to eliminate what is the last remaining option for the minority to impact legislation for solely partisan gains. 

I emphatically disagree with that, no matter which party is going to benefit in the short term, and think that such a change will only increase the polarization because it removes the need to gain support from the minority party for anything.  

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I'll agree with you as it pertains to the current occupants of the WH.  I'll suggest that while you dislike the Rs more, that that dislike doesn't equate to the Ds not stretching everything that they can as well to push their agenda.  Who broke the filibuster rule for nominees?   What happened after that - did the other side come in and say "We don't think that should have happened, let's restore that minority power"?   No - they stretched it even further, and I fully expect that the Ds won't hesitate to do the same in every situation in which they get a majority and the ability to adjust the rules.  

I was listening to NPR on the way in this AM - and there was a discussion on ending the filibuster altogether - and there are several who are vying for the D nomination who vocally support this idea as the "easiest way for us to advance the progressive agenda".  It sounds to me like they're willing to eliminate what is the last remaining option for the minority to impact legislation for solely partisan gains. 

I emphatically disagree with that, no matter which party is going to benefit in the short term, and think that such a change will only increase the polarization because it removes the need to gain support from the minority party for anything.  
The current filibuster rule is a PoS.

Want to filibuster? Get on the floor and filibuster.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
The current filibuster rule is a PoS.

Want to filibuster? Get on the floor and filibuster.
Yup.  Show your dedication to the cause.  Strom Thurmond spoke for 24 hours to keep the black folks from getting their civil rights.  Read cookbooks and such.  That's commitment.  He was so pissed off by it's passage that he switched parties and became an American!  

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
  3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
It's within his purview as CINC to grant a clearance,  ...

Sure you can give anyone top secret clearance against all recommendations and with obvious conflicts of interest, but....only if you don't use email while doing it.  

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
I'll agree with you as it pertains to the current occupants of the WH.  I'll suggest that while you dislike the Rs more, that that dislike doesn't equate to the Ds not stretching everything that they can as well to push their agenda. 
Please. There is simply no comparison between the Dems and this current administration.   How about Trump ordering Kushner to get a TS clearance after the career intel folks saw him as a clear risk?  How about the number of cabinet and department heads in violation of ethics?   And meanwhile Trump is "honored" to meet with and calls a brutal tyrant a "Great leader."

And on and on and on.  Illegal campaign hush payments. . .  financial fraud. . . and on and on. 

Shed the bothsiderism.   There is simply no comparison. 

Last edited by a moderator:

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
There has never been a modern presidency like this one. Republican or Democrat.

The Republicans own this. 

There is no equivalence in our history. This is unique.

It demands correction.

Do they think the headlines are going to get better over the next two years?

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
No...It wouldn't be a first time. I've been commenting on the Russian collusion fairy tale for going on two years now. 
Mueller sure has gotten a lot of indictments,  guilty pleas and verdicts out of a fairy tale.  I shudder to think what he would do when investigating something with some meat on its bones. 

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
No...It wouldn't be a first time. I've been commenting on the Russian collusion fairy tale for going on two years now. 
So are you saying there is no need to investigate events of the 2016 presidential election involving Russian interference and methods of impacting  our electoral process, Americans who facilitated such efforts and any other offenses as are discovered?

Would you simply allow Russian efforts to jeopardize our national security go uninvestigated? If Americans helped, should we not investigate? If glaring gaps in our national security allowed this to occur, should we expose them, or just let it be?

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Please. There is simply no comparison between the Dems and this current administration.   How about Trump ordering Kushner to get a TS clearance after the career intel folks saw him as a clear risk?  How about the number of cabinet and department heads in violation of ethics?   And meanwhile Trump is "honored" to meet with and calls a brutal tyrant a "Great leader."

And on and on and on.  Illegal campaign hush payments. . .  financial fraud. . . and on and on. 

Shed the bothsiderism.   There is simply no comparison. 
Try reading what I wrote before ya type so that your complaint about what I think makes sense. 

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
the salient part is you lament the change, but still support your side.... because democrats are icky.
You're right - I *do* lament the change, and don't think the Rs should have expanded on Reid's stupidity.

I support my side because I support my side.  The Ds being flaky contributes to the perspective, but, it's not a huge factor. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
You're right - I *do* lament the change, and don't think the Rs should have expanded on Reid's stupidity.

I support my side because I support my side.  The Ds being flaky contributes to the perspective, but, it's not a huge factor. 
It's sad that you consider yourself a combatant who needs to take sides..... I consider all humans to be on my side, as well as most animals (Not Yellow jackets, or mosquitoes). To become my opponent, you have to prove yourself to be not worthy of sharing this great earth with the rest of us..... There are a few that I have decided fit that slot, but I let nature take her own sweet time, as she has with me.