Drywall Sander Redux

coltrek

In May 2020 I brought up the subject of using a drywall sander for bottom sanding, thinking of a Porter-Cable model, 

and, long story short, finally took the plunge and bought a Festool 575994 and was pleasantly surprised. I am glad I waited until they upgraded from a rotary disk to a random orbital, because I think otherwise it would have gouged. This works like butter - the gimbals work perfectly. They are a little pricey, I wish I could have convinced a few people to have gone in on it with me, especially for only a handful of hours a year.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
1 hour ago, coltrek said:

In May 2020 I brought up the subject of using a drywall sander for bottom sanding, thinking of a Porter-Cable model, 

and, long story short, finally took the plunge and bought a Festool 575994 and was pleasantly surprised. I am glad I waited until they upgraded from a rotary disk to a random orbital, because I think otherwise it would have gouged. This works like butter - the gimbals work perfectly. They are a little pricey, I wish I could have convinced a few people to have gone in on it with me, especially for only a handful of hours a year.

you sanding that shit without a mask?    dumb..   you might not see any dust, but you maybe breathing it.. always wear a mask, especially on bottom paint..

other than that,  thanks for the review..

Last edited by a moderator:

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Did anyone say mask?

image.png

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
When I smoked cigarettes, you could instantly tell if you had inhaled even a slight bit of bottom paint when you took a hit. Quit the smokes and always wear a mask around any sanding dust.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Lucky Strike no filters with that toasted tobacco was the bomb for getting a 10 minute high and a 10 hour hangover as a kid when someone could procure one from their Dad’s pack.