Dufus from the Front Page

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Looking at the website and video, which seems to spend more time on wind foiling than the actual boat, it doesn't look that bad.  That weird ass rear platform looks to be removable and wait for it...inflatable.  I guess it is more of a floating sun platform than anything.

At least they haven't stuffed two small wheels on it and have a proper tiller and extension that makes a small cockpit a lot easier to live with.

I had one of the weird old 35's back in the 1980's to early 90's.  It was one of the few boats at the time that had hull windows.  It sailed better than it looked.   It was coined "Dufus" back then

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
At least they haven't stuffed two small wheels on it and have a proper tiller and extension that makes a small cockpit a lot easier to live with.
ed get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I agree - boat looks interesting to me. at least above decks. down below it appears rather charmless though.

but what I can see - besides a nice tiller - is an interesting sail plan with the mainsail flaking system sorted out (must be a specific word for this system - but yeah, jumping around on deck trying to flake the main seems to me the single most dangerous job on the boat when sailing shorthanded). Plus its got a sprit that does double duty for ground tackle as well as a-sail. it may even have a windlass tucked away in a locker forward. what's not to like?

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-42.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
ed get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?  what's not to like?

I think he did. It's  a Cruising boat. It actually looks pretty nice for a small family.        or a few couples to party on. I like the cockpit fold out bed/couch.

But being in my condition, to many elevation changes

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
i'm not saying there aren't some interesting elements to the thing, it is a decent looking hull for sure, but ffs, the other shit is mind bending. 

221J

CT
The transom pad needs a liferaft compartment and an outboard motor bracket, at which point it would be at least practical.

knuckles

Super Anarchist
Keyboard
It does pack a lot of stuff into a 32' package, but it's not a light boat..  It will not be cheap, but I bet they will sell every hull they build. The mainsheet setup is kind of neat, and I can't quite make out exactly the headsail setup (I see a self-tacking track, but the sheet appears to lead back to a location near the front end of the handrail).  This would be nice to have at any island.

It would be nice if they showed a couple of photos with the stern lifelines in place.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
..I can't quite make out exactly the headsail setup (I see a self-tacking track, but the sheet appears to lead back to a location near the front end of the handrail). 
I need someone to explain this to me as well - just noticed that the boat has no primaries. instead, just a single pair of not-too-large winches on the coach roof.

it looks to me like she has the jib sheet here?

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-43.jpg

Super Anarchist
The French in general and Dufour in particular have a long history of designing cruiser-racers intended for no more than two couples to handle.  Who I really feel for is the person that believes a real crew can sail this thing around the cans competitively...

Interesting inflatable boom winglets. I don't see these lasting long in the elements but kinder to the skull.

No traveler, no primary winches.

They don't say what happens when the spin sheet catches the foil boards but that could get expensive real quick.

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I need someone to explain this to me as well - just noticed that the boat has no primaries. instead, just a single pair of not-too-large winches on the coach roof.

There is a hand sticking out of the companionway it seems...

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Ain't my cup o tea.  Wide, fat-ass good for dragging a lotta water in light winds, and making for bouncy motion when the wind is up.  Bet that will be one uncomfortable ride in a chop.  But to each his own.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle

The jib trim is done by a block and tackle it looks like.  Interesting approach to keeping things simple, like the main sheet.

All in all i looks like a decent boat for two couple cruising and beer can puttering about.  Doubt they put much thought, if any, into a round the cans racing "weapon".    

Also decent looking when they leave the butt plug back at the dock.  

Would I buy?  Probably not.  Will many people buy it, probably yes.  

Last edited by a moderator:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
yikes - just noticed that the cockpit sole looks like it contains an upside down cockpit table. no kidding. could that be true - you are walking around on the cockpit table while sailing? maybe the ed has a point after all.

and as for the butt plug - lol. if you watch the video - the wing surfer disembarks via the deck. not the float. then when getting back aboard he needs a hand. iow, the stern float so wobbly in practice not even an expert board sailor can manage it without a helping hand.