Dumptruck and Shitbox

Motherfucking power went off last night, killing our video uploads and alarm clock. Power came on at 9 AM of course, right when we were leaving. Unbelievable. The Melges party wasn't last night, it's tonight - though we made our own party, and I'm suffering for it.
I have to tell you all - downtown is depressing. I simply cannot believe how dead the town was. YOU who are familiar with KW, note that we checked out Sloppy Joe's, the Parrot, and a half dozen other places - and they were EMPTY. Any other year, all those places were completely packed, spilling over into the streets. Is it the end of an era? No idea - but something has got to change - it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home. I hope that Premiere can pull it together, because this is truly a favorite for so many folks. KW is great because the allure of it is about 50% party and 50% racing. Without 200 boats, it's just an expensive regatta.
Actually, that was true to some degree last year. With the economy in the shitter, fewer non-sailors are visiting KW, thereby taking away that critical mass of people that you need to pack the bars and make those memories of 'what happens in KW stays in KW'... Plus, with a higher percentage of pro programs, those guys won't be out setting their hair on fire until the end of the week....so, hence the empty streets.

It IS the economy. Sailing hasn't gotten worse in KW; say what you want, but Premiere does a consistently damn good job, overall, of race management.
Dito on that.

Regards

Oh Congrats on the NA40

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

Cuttyhunker

MA
With the breeze out of the NE, this Division is the only one that's out of the lee of KW. Little boats get big waves today...20 knots solid, 3-5 foot seas.

Seefest the J-29 should like that 20 knots and 3-5 ft waves is what he kicked my ass in at BBR last year.

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1053H: (SW) IRC 2 off the line all clear. Most fleets favoring the left side for the first half of the first weather leg. Rosebud just rounded the WM1 @ 1053. 18 Minute leg (2.3nm)

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world. I am hearing that this is the case for many not coming down as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We're at the short mark for the PHRF 2 boats, they're coming up here now. Stollman out front in the big boats.

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.

Flip Rigsby

Super Anarchist
Hey Clean try and get some close up shots of Mo "Mother Ocean" the O'day 40 and some vid if you can. I want to see who is on her. Also Rick the owner of Mo would make a very interesting interview throw Espo in there with him and you might win an Oscar. Rick also owns a J29 He and Espo go way back. Espo always had something to say about the O'day 40. So it's pretty funny they are racing PHRF against each other.

See what you can do...

Great work so far, keep it up!

oneguyfromdetroit

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....
You're sure about that?

Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

The Winner

Super Anarchist
I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!
The sad fact is that you can do 3-4 Charleston / St Pete's for the same money. Way more bang for the buck. Granted the competition isn't the same but for smaller crew funded programs its become a no brainer. Race way more pay less

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1103H: PHRF 1: EmOcean got the start (edit, nice), PHRF-2: the Flying Tiger was at the pin end with good air, Too Sweet took Rush's air; J80: Relentless and Angry Chameleon were ahead at the pin end with Bob Dylan and SWE621 forced to do an early tack.

PHRF-3: Thunderbolt fired out of the pin end with Tangent taking all of Seefest's air in the middle of the line. PHRF4: Caribean Soul was obvious out in front with Lightning Rod alone in the second row.

Winds seeing 020 with shifts back and forth.

Turning Point was the lead PHRF-1 boat at the windward end.

1103H: Last m32 has rounded the top mark ... top five are ... Leenabarca 83 ... Star 32 ...New Wave 73 ... Argo 72 ... Banshee 76. Winds have shifted and RC is posting a change course to 030 bearing at the leeward gate

1101H: (SW) Barking Mad first Farr 40 to WM2. No change of course for the fleets-- wind holding steady enough to keep the track the same.

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1105H: (SB) Hurrycane has retired from Race 5 to bring an injured crew member in. They report that they will be back for Race 6

THC

Do I have to review everything you write Clean! The Promo Code for the 20% dicount at WWW.PointLomaOutfitting.Com is OTWA9; the code you gave out was for DAX's great deal. I don't know what to do, you give us a great boost with the video and then you screw it all up with the wrong promo code. I'll be muttering for the rest of the day about your antics.

Motherfucking power went off last night, killing our video uploads and alarm clock. Power came on at 9 AM of course, right when we were leaving. Unbelievable. The Melges party wasn't last night, it's tonight - though we made our own party, and I'm suffering for it.
I have to tell you all - downtown is depressing. I simply cannot believe how dead the town was. YOU who are familiar with KW, note that we checked out Sloppy Joe's, the Parrot, and a half dozen other places - and they were EMPTY. Any other year, all those places were completely packed, spilling over into the streets. Is it the end of an era? No idea - but something has got to change - it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home. I hope that Premiere can pull it together, because this is truly a favorite for so many folks. KW is great because the allure of it is about 50% party and 50% racing. Without 200 boats, it's just an expensive regatta.
Clean,

The Duval scene has been continually dying off over the years. It is NOTHING like it was back in 1990.

When people started becoming more serious about yachting than partying afterwards (read; crew curfews, wives, etc...), Key West became just another roundy round race.

If you can't go out and enjoy the night life in Key West , what does it matter where you hold a regatta?

Trust me, there are a few hold outs refusing to tuck themselves in at 9pm but they are a dying breed...

They know that Key West (the island) is not for serious people... Have Fun (if you're allowed that is)... :)

Now back to your regularly scheduled program... Sail on.