Dumptruck and Shitbox

Scum Bum

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.
One boss was overheard saying, "...how can I go to Key West after I just let go 1/2 my staff...".

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Wow - Tiger predictably at the back going upwind with these 34-41 footers, then popped the kite and started passing them all like they were on a different planet. J/80s coming up, pics and vid of the other stuff making its way online shortly. DT and SB day, white trash wednesday baby.

1103H: PHRF 1: EmOcean got the start (edit, nice), PHRF-2: the Flying Tiger was at the pin end with good air, Too Sweet took Rush's air; J80: Relentless and Angry Chameleon were ahead at the pin end with Bob Dylan and SWE621 forced to do an early tack.

1103H: Last m32 has rounded the top mark ... top five are ... Leenabarca 83 ... Star 32 ...New Wave 73 ... Argo 72 ... Banshee 76. Winds have shifted and RC is posting a change course to 030 bearing at the leeward gate
Go Al and Team Relentless.... about time ! (Even though they pushed out my old boat)

Also, great to see New Wave back in the top 3! Hoping that Marty & the boys can keep her there, where she belongs!

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world. I am hearing that this is the case for many not coming down as well.
THIS... coupled w/ the fact that a lot of the nation's heavy hitters had a previous engagement this week. Don't know if you guys in KW heard, but we had kind of a big event back here on the mainland yesterday. Lot of corporate types in DC lined up at the trough this morning.

Franklins Tower

Super Anarchist
Land o Hedonism
I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....
You're sure about that?

Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

Had 3 rides bail due to the economy.

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1112H: Oops. Confederate Ram was at their start. Good thing we have multiple eyes on the course.

1113H: PHRF-1 is down at the gates. Course change for all boats to 025.

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1111H: M24 top roundings Giacomel Audi 42 ...Team Pacemaker 35 ... KO Sailing 38 ...Millewa Milluna 37 ... Monsoon 31
And Blu Moon, Uka Uka, Joe Fly???
i'm just the messenger freezing my ass off like you. as soon as the pr bloggers post it, i'll post it. they're doing a nice job imho, btw, of keeping us up to speed w/ the courses not covered by clean.

1114H: (SB) Long Echo is flying a protest flag. Celeritas did a penalty turns - 2 tacks and 2 gybes so they must have fouled within the 3 boat length circle. Not sure if this is related to the flag on Long Echo. (SW) Farr 40's at the gate- Barking Mad, Goombay Smash first

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.
One boss was overheard saying, "...how can I go to Key West after I just let go 1/2 my staff...".

I should have clarified that most everyone still attending is a boss and that not all are able to attend. As for the party scene with the remainder showing up being serious racers I would think that they are not there to party as much as sail but wait till the chips fall where they may I think more will come out to play as the week gets on.

I will say no more on the economy as it is depressing and I already lost my job once this year.

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....
You're sure about that?

Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

Had 3 rides bail due to the economy.
Ditto.... Could have driven a support boat, but, then I couldn't justify the expense & time off work. sucks. (Only 2nd one that I've missed in 16+ yrs.)

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1118H: (SW) ...Followed by Joe Fly, Plenty, Flash Gordo, Groovederci, Masc. L, Tur 1

1119H: Turning Point was the first PHRF1 around the gate.

Good Girl is first PHRF-2 around gate.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Big course change to 020. This is just not interesting yet. We are going to the finish to see if we can get our RIB's shots.

JItillIdie

Anarchist
1122H: Man of war second, Rush has a major spinnaker wrap and has come by the RC still trying to get it down.

M24 rounding at the leeward gate Giacomel Audi 42 ... Team Pacemaker 35 ...UKA 43 ...KO Sailing 38 ... Monsoon 31

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

It's the economy stupid. :)

I don't think the lack of entrants (or even the excess of) has anything to do with Premier. Come to think of it, I have never, ever heard anyone say, "I'm going to do Key West Race Week because I like Peter Craig and Premier Racing.

" P1170133.JPG

KWRW has been going on long before Premier and it will continue to go on after they're gone.

A LOT of people are hurting. Just think what it's like having a company down 40% for the year, laying off hundreds of workers only to run off to Key West to have a good time yachting. Some people just can't do that.

Last edited by a moderator: