Dust extractor/collector help

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I'm rehabilitating my Festool ROS.

1660782765854.png

I need a new backplate and a dust extractor
1660782705026.png

Does anyone know of a compromise between the above (too small and I suspect they are not good for the sander because they don't suck the dust away.)
1660782952732.png

I don't do enough work to justify the cost of the above and don't have the storage space either.
Does anyone know of a smaller and slightly cheaper comprise? (these above are about $1000 AU )

When I had my workshop I simply pushed a piece of PVC pipe over the dust exit and onto a cleaners back pack vacume cleaner. It worked but last time I tried this the vac burnt out. (They dont make vac filters like they used to) and once again, I have a storage issue. Cupboard under the stairs situation.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Just hook it up to the air intake on your car engine. It'll make your exhaust smell like whatever you've been sanding.
Seriously though.... Pretty much any shop vac should work fine, you'll just have to turn it on/off manually.
I've never had a vac or filter on any of my sanders, and never had any issues. Get a room air filter and wear a dust mask.
(A room air filter is easy to build if you don't want to buy one, but they're cheap. All it is is a box with a filter, a computer fan, and another filter. They work very nicely.)

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Just hook it up to the air intake on your car engine. It'll make your exhaust smell like whatever you've been sanding.
Seriously though.... Pretty much any shop vac should work fine, you'll just have to turn it on/off manually.
I've never had a vac or filter on any of my sanders, and never had any issues. Get a room air filter and wear a dust mask.
(A room air filter is easy to build if you don't want to buy one, but they're cheap. All it is is a box with a filter, a computer fan, and another filter. They work very nicely.)
I'm sanding in my sunroom and "my shed" is the cupboard under the stairs since i evicted Harry Potter :d

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Take a look at a Dust Deputy or Clearvue cyclonic separator. You put it between your sander/saw/planer, etc and a regular old shop vac. Takes up a bit more space, but the shop vac and shop vac filters last a lot longer. I have a Clearvue and have used it to vacuum up drywall dust. Almost none of the dust makes it to the shop vac.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Take a look at a Dust Deputy or Clearvue cyclonic separator. You put it between your sander/saw/planer, etc and a regular old shop vac. Takes up a bit more space, but the shop vac and shop vac filters last a lot longer. I have a Clearvue and have used it to vacuum up drywall dust. Almost none of the dust makes it to the shop vac.
Thank you, but as I wrote, space is an issue. I dont have a shop vac..I don't have a shop...just a cupboard under the stairs :(

Otherwise it would be good.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Any old cheap 2nd hand vacuum that has a hose and you can find a decent bag to fit.
Plenty of those on the hard rubbish, that was my solution in my shed with a cheap industrial vac . a domestic vac doesnt have good filters or doesnt like swarf . I bought one and it burnt out the motor in an hour.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Thank you, but as I wrote, space is an issue. I dont have a shop vac..I don't have a shop...just a cupboard under the stairs :(

Otherwise it would be good.
sorry, missed the bit about limited space. The cyclonic separator has made a huge difference in my shop with dust and keeping things cleaner. My shop is pretty small, but larger than a cupboard. I also didn't want to put out the coin for a new Festool extractor. Very nice kit though.

mikewof

mikewof
Those cyclonic filters are good for an intermediate stage, but then the filter on the shop vac should be upgrade to a finer mesh, smaller capture diameter, because the cyclones are only good down to about 5 microns or so, and everything smaller than that then has many times fewer aggregation centers onto which they can nucleate. So if you have the course mode filter on your shop-vac, or worse, no shop vac at all, the submicron particles will be worse than no filter at all, and those are the ones that cause the most lung and heart damage, because they penetrate deep and pass through the blood barrier fairly easily.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Festool's CT15 is going for $399 around here. I picked up one about a year ago and it's every bit as good as the CT26 I have. And it's quiet, light and small.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
$699 from the Australian dealer
According to Google, the exchange rate between the US and Australia is 1.45. So that $399 here should be $578.55 there. I know Festool fixes their prices so I'm wondering if the difference is in shipping or what?

Fein makes a good dust extractor and their baby is about $100 US less than the CT15.

Latest posts