"dutch teenage sailor is missing"

Guitar

Super Anarchist
"She had a yacht by the age of six and began sailing solo when she was 10. "

WTF? When does a boat become a yacht?

Wikipedia "Yacht lengths generally range from 20 feet (6 m) up to hundreds of feet."

Cool, I own a yacht as well. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

cwc64

"She had a yacht by the age of six and began sailing solo when she was 10. "WTF? When does a boat become a yacht?

Wikipedia "Yacht lengths generally range from 20 feet (6 m) up to hundreds of feet."

Cool, I own a yacht as well. :lol:

when the media thinks it will make a story sound more dramatic. Like when a house becomes a mansion!

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I know where she is...

laura-reid.jpg

Oh crap. Billy Backstay beat me by 4 minutes!

bellasailbabe

Super Anarchist
South Florida
...she's flown off to Southern California and there will be

a 14 y.o./16 y.o. combo excursion that will allow "both" girls

to be the youngest to have sailed 'round the world,

yet as a duo? :blink:

redboat

Super Anarchist
She's a child. Barely old enough to attend high school. I'll save my comments about her, her parents and this improbable voyage until after she is hopefully found safely. Now is not the time.

awolf209

Super Anarchist
InNeedOfSomeRestraint said:
So you don't think a headstrong teenager would just say "Fuck it, I'm taking my boat and I'm sailing it around the world and you can try to stop me."? Perhaps she told her parents and they helped her provision for it secretly.
Or not and maybe she's just having a little "Me time" somewhere.
Only problem here is that her boat isn't missing. If she didn't steal someone elses, she's most likely at a friend's house hiding out until her parents give in and let her go but, unfortunately for her, the state has already intervened. Now if she's found she'll be detained since her father, who was supposed to be keeping an eye on her, failed to do so.

InNeedOfSomeRestraint said:
So you don't think a headstrong teenager would just say "Fuck it, I'm taking my boat and I'm sailing it around the world and you can try to stop me."? Perhaps she told her parents and they helped her provision for it secretly.
Or not and maybe she's just having a little "Me time" somewhere.
Only problem here is that her boat isn't missing. If she didn't steal someone elses, she's most likely at a friend's house hiding out until her parents give in and let her go but, unfortunately for her, the state has already intervened. Now if she's found she'll be detained since her father, who was supposed to be keeping an eye on her, failed to do so.
Shhhhh, they won't notice my post is gone

chinabald

Super Anarchist
She is 14, it is quite possible (probable) that this has nothing to do with sailing. Running up the phone bill texting or some such nonsense

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist