Dyer Dhow Rehab

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
The thicker the wood, the harder it is to bend, of course.
Your previous post really had me concerned that I'd have trouble with the inner piece of wood at the bow. That's why I folded and opted for the kit.  Like I said, if The Anchorage experiences persistent supply problems, I will cancel my order and proceed as originally planned.

In the meantime, I need to secure the thwarts better and flip it over and show you guys the centerboard. The trailing tip seems to be missing. I might be making a new centerboard or purchasing a replacement. I love the closed centerboard trunk and easy flip-up handle on these boats better than open trunks and removable boards on other types of dinghies.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
Your previous post really had me concerned that I'd have trouble with the inner piece of wood at the bow. That's why I folded and opted for the kit.  Like I said, if The Anchorage experiences persistent supply problems, I will cancel my order and proceed as originally planned.

In the meantime, I need to secure the thwarts better and flip it over and show you guys the centerboard. The trailing tip seems to be missing. I might be making a new centerboard or purchasing a replacement. I love the closed centerboard trunk and easy flip-up handle on these boats better than open trunks and removable boards on other types of dinghies.
The handle can leak over time. Show us a picture as the CB has an unusual shape with a longer leading edge. 

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
The handle can leak over time. Show us a picture as the CB has an unusual shape with a longer leading edge. 
If I can get my wife in the garage to help me flip the boat over, I'll post a pic this evening. I have a tiny trailer for it. It sits on that.

The CB looks like the trailing corner was snapped off.  It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the boat. I may just shape it and seal it up. We'll see what the brain trust says.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
If I can get my wife in the garage to help me flip the boat over, I'll post a pic this evening. I have a tiny trailer for it. It sits on that.

The CB looks like the trailing corner was snapped off.  It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the boat. I may just shape it and seal it up. We'll see what the brain trust says.
It doesn't really have a trailing edge corner. Do you have the Dwyer aluminum mast? 

DyerDhow009_zps0828fc54.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Ajax...if you need a sail call Mystic Seaport.  They have a fleet there and I bought one for $50 donation.   
Oh, nice!  I have a good sail but it never hurts to have a spare in case rodents get into it or something. Maybe I can pick one up as I sail through the area this summer!

yoyo

Anarchist
This may be sacrilege but have you considered the non-wood alternatives for the outboard rail?  

eliboat

Super Anarchist
I did this repair a couple of years back on mine.  I was able to save a fair amount of the railing, but of course it was pooched around the bow.  I had some ash on hand so I built a form with the same shape (a little more curve actually) and then steam bent a length of ash around that.  I then just scarfed that into place after I cut scarfs in the remaining rail.  Worked well.  I ended up just bonding the new rail section to the hull with epoxy and skipped the rivets.  

After all that brightwork I was loath to cover it with canvas.  I ended up screwing on (recessed into the line son unseen) a black 5/8" (or thereabouts) nylon line to protect the wood and mother ship.  Enough woods peaks out above and below the line to really maintain the brightwork look.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
My Dyer gunwale rail kit has shipped and should be at the BWI airport. It had to be shipped air freight due to the size.

I have no idea how to pick up freight from a cargo terminal at the airport and the BWI webpage is less than helpful. I'm going to try calling airport information lines later this morning but if anyone has an idea of how a private citizen retrieves freight from a cargo terminal, I'm all ears.

According to the nice woman at the Anchorage, the kit comes with bronze rivets, instructions and anything else I'll need. She says I could do the job in a weekend.

accnick

Super Anarchist
My Dyer gunwale rail kit has shipped and should be at the BWI airport. It had to be shipped air freight due to the size.

I have no idea how to pick up freight from a cargo terminal at the airport and the BWI webpage is less than helpful. I'm going to try calling airport information lines later this morning but if anyone has an idea of how a private citizen retrieves freight from a cargo terminal, I'm all ears.

According to the nice woman at the Anchorage, the kit comes with bronze rivets, instructions and anything else I'll need. She says I could do the job in a weekend.
So you're replacing the oak gunwales as well as the fendering. You'll probably need lots of clamps.  You might want to consider sealing these new oak pieces with a couple of coats of varnish before installing.

This isn't a trivial task.