Earth Wind Map

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Amazing. That's a hell of a system in the North Pacific.
I think you'll find that what meteorologists call is the semi-permanent low in the Gulf of Alaska/North Pacific. It wobbles back & forth but most of the time it's there in some type of fashion. I'm a bit of weather geek, not like Dry-Shirt - I'm not worthy of that title, but I've been looking at weather since being a boy. Even before I started sailing. That low manufactures our weather for us and it's never dull.

That site is a perfect thing for me.

ecsimonson

You can pick wind at different pressure levels which are different elevations.

It's awesome but I wish it would tell you the elevation of the measurements and ideally let you choose. I don't see the jet stream at all but I'm on a plane from Seattle to Boston right now and the pilot says we've got a 100kt tailwind.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
It's awesome but I wish it would tell you the elevation of the measurements and ideally let you choose. I don't see the jet stream at all but I'm on a plane from Seattle to Boston right now and the pilot says we've got a 100kt tailwind.
It looks like surface winds- standard height is 10 meters. But over land masses, dunno.

Neat display. You can get a real feel for global circulation and the local effects.

monsoon

Super Anarchist
ELIS
It looks like surface winds- standard height is 10 meters. But over land masses, dunno.

Neat display. You can get a real feel for global circulation and the local effects.
click on earth and you'll see several isobar options for 'height'

default is 1000 hPa (surface), 500 hPa gives a nice view of the jet stream

bgytr

Super Anarchist

Really cool.

bgytr

Super Anarchist

From the about section:

atmospheric pressure corresponds roughly to altitude. several pressure surfaces are meteorologically interesting

note: 1 hectopascal (hPa) ≡ 1 millibar (mb)
1000 hPa | ~100 m, surface conditions
850 hPa | ~1,500 m, planetary boundary, low
700 hPa | ~3,500 m, planetary boundary, high
500 hPa | ~5,000 m, vorticity
250 hPa | ~10,500 m, jet stream
70 hPa | ~17,500 m, stratosphere
10 hPa | ~26,500 m, even more stratosphere

Reht

Super Anarchist
Cool map. Easy to see how the different pressure systems affect weather flow...

Fun to go match up to the pressure charts...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Ummm...sorry Trude. Ed sent this to me a day before DaveK put it up. And I saw it on Giz or IO9 a couple days before that.

Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 9.08.46 PM.png