Earthquake in Georgia?

mikewof

mikewof
I couldn't find anything about it in the news, my pal is in Georgia and just sent me a text to tell me she is okay.

Anarchists, ground shaking there?

mikewof

mikewof
Just popped up in news, mag 2.5, the weak kind that West Coasters don't notice, I guess.

Several quakes over the summer in the same area ... natural? deep well injection?

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Just popped up in news, mag 2.5, the weak kind that West Coasters don't notice, I guess.

Several quakes over the summer in the same area ... natural? deep well injection?
Bible thumpers stomping their feet for their savior Hershel Walker.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Not in Georgia, but we had a little 4.4 quake near my Sonoma County Calif. place this evening. It was in the middle of a nice windstorm, and the house was already shaking a bit, but this was a good solid jolt, with a small aftershock about a minute later. No damage.

The interesting thing was that the cellphone sent out an alert just a few seconds after the first shock, and the first internet report was within a minute, created by the "ShakeAlert" system, using seismic sensor data and the accelerometers built into Android phones to automatically detect quakes and broadcast alarms. Pretty amazing!
https://www.bworldonline.com/techno...le-launches-android-earthquake-alerts-system/

You just type "earthquake near me" into Google and the preliminary quake data pops up almost instantly. I believe this is just a U.S. west coast thing.

mikewof

mikewof
The interesting thing was that the cellphone sent out an alert just a few seconds after the first shock, and the first internet report was within a minute, created by the "ShakeAlert" system, using seismic sensor data and the accelerometers built into Android phones to automatically detect quakes and broadcast alarms. Pretty amazing!
https://www.bworldonline.com/techno...le-launches-android-earthquake-alerts-system/

You just type "earthquake near me" into Google and the preliminary quake data pops up almost instantly. I believe this is just a U.S. west coast thing.

I just tried this, kinda neat ... nothing near me, then I tried "earthquake georgia" and the automatic thing you described popped up that I had seen earlier, and assumed it was put there by a news organization. But it was put there by a robot? It would be good if these Android phones could use that system with some kind of particulate sensor on a chip inside the phone, create a phone-gathered map of air pollution?

mikewof

mikewof
lol... 2.5... there is a major fault zone in eastern S.C. quakes are not unknown there..

Is it normal to have several small quakes like that within a short time?

When I was a kid we had a bunch of smallish earthquakes in Denver, they came with a regularity that seemed abnormal, finally the nearby Arsenal admitted that they were injecting some kind of toxic waste into a deep well injection site, and it apparently lubricated the plates enough to lead to allow for the slippage. They stopped injecting, then the tremors stopped.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
5.9 in melbourne last year. Now that IS unusual. we have little ripples under 3, about 400 a year
we thought it was heating system expanding the wooden ceiling. and then evacuated.
side wall of a shop collapsed just down the road.

1663154880921.png

That was a bit of a freak, dodgy building. no other damage really.

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
They happen here (in GA) from time to time, but are seldom felt by anyone. I'm more likely to feel the blasts from the granite quarry a couple every Wednesday at 100 pm from a couple miles away than a 2.4 quake. There was one in the 3s a couple of years ago that some people claim to have felt but I slept through it. I would have missed this one since I was in St. Louis until about noon today.

Latest posts