Eight arrested in Michael Phelps case

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
Shife, are you serious or just stirring the Pot? They weren't shooting heroin, only smoking a little weed (proven to be less hazardous then cigarettes) Our last and current President of the United States smoked pot. WTF is the big deal?
There are even photos of our world famous governor indulging in the fine art of getting high.

arnold_pot.jpg

Should we bust him? :blink:
No, I'm just foolin around.

I'm completely serious though when I say that I should be allowed to drive at 100mph, on any road, on my way to Kmart to buy underpants, because "I'm an excellent driver".

What's the harm, eh? It's only a speed limit. Nobody follows them anyway. I'm sure the Judge will throw any ticket right out. It's not like I implanted a winch handle into a guys eye socket or anything. Harmless crimes should always go unpunished. Waste of taxpayer money I say...
agreeing with shife always pains me. . . . . . .

swan70

Super Anarchist
Mustang Ranch
Shife, are you serious or just stirring the Pot? They weren't shooting heroin, only smoking a little weed (proven to be less hazardous then cigarettes) Our last and current President of the United States smoked pot. WTF is the big deal?
There are even photos of our world famous governor indulging in the fine art of getting high.

arnold_pot.jpg

Should we bust him? :blink:
No, I'm just foolin around.

I'm completely serious though when I say that I should be allowed to drive at 100mph, on any road, on my way to Kmart to buy underpants, because "I'm an excellent driver".

What's the harm, eh? It's only a speed limit. Nobody follows them anyway. I'm sure the Judge will throw any ticket right out. It's not like I implanted a winch handle into a guys eye socket or anything. Harmless crimes should always go unpunished. Waste of taxpayer money I say...
That has got to be the worst analogy (and sarcasm) in SA history.

What harm or danger was Michael Phelps causing anyone by smoking pot?

Marijuana is illegal. Possessing it is illegal. Possessing a bong used for smoking it is illegal. Trying to sell a bong previously used for smoking pot on the internet is illegal. No matter how frigging stupid this all is, it is still illegal. I have no sympathy for anybody involved in this. I drank while under age in college. If I had been caught, it would have been nobody's fault but my own. It doesn't matter that 20 thousand other kids in East Lansing were doing it, it was still against the law. When I smoked pot or drank underage, I was making a conscious decision that I knew could have legal ramifications if I was caught. Many of my friends were.

How is this even a story?

there is where you are wrong. it is 100% legal to own and sell bongs, bubblers, ginders, etc.

http://www.glasspipes.org/Gal18207_Full_Ta...lowing_demo.asp

is a link to some pictures of a head shop near my house, one of about 5 in a 1/4 mile radius that sells more glass that you can imagine. tell me it isnt legal.

what IS illegal is possessing a piece with residue still in it, as long as you completely clean all the residue out of the piece there is absolutely nothing the feds can do
It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole
it is not a federal crime, glass is not drug specific, you can smoke tobacco out of it as well.
You should have told the DEA. You could have saved my friend $100,000.

You probably did not read the link I provided. Here's the laws on drug paraphernalia,

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/csa/863.htm#a

Part f 2 shows exemptions. You think Tommy Chong's lawyer didn't try that? How did it work out for him?
you probably didnt read it carefully enough

"material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for use"

in an unused piece there is 100% no way to determine if its primary use is for marijuana. your buddy probably had residue in his pieces, which they can use to convict you of possession. if it was illegal you wouldn't be able sell pieces in a store, and as i said, there are about 5 different glass shops within a 1/4 mile radius of each other in my home town.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
Marijuana is illegal. Possessing it is illegal. Possessing a bong used for smoking it is illegal. Trying to sell a bong previously used for smoking pot on the internet is illegal. No matter how frigging stupid this all is, it is still illegal. I have no sympathy for anybody involved in this. I drank while under age in college. If I had been caught, it would have been nobody's fault but my own. It doesn't matter that 20 thousand other kids in East Lansing were doing it, it was still against the law. When I smoked pot or drank underage, I was making a conscious decision that I knew could have legal ramifications if I was caught. Many of my friends were.

there is where you are wrong. it is 100% legal to own and sell bongs, bubblers, ginders, etc.

is a link to some pictures of a head shop near my house, one of about 5 in a 1/4 mile radius that sells more glass that you can imagine. tell me it isnt legal.

what IS illegal is possessing a piece with residue still in it, as long as you completely clean all the residue out of the piece there is absolutely nothing the feds can do
It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole
it is not a federal crime, glass is not drug specific, you can smoke tobacco out of it as well.

You probably did not read the link I provided. Here's the laws on drug paraphernalia,

Part f 2 shows exemptions. You think Tommy Chong's lawyer didn't try that? How did it work out for him?

in an unused piece there is 100% no way to determine if its primary use is for marijuana. your buddy probably had residue in his pieces, which they can use to convict you of possession. if it was illegal you wouldn't be able sell pieces in a store, and as i said, there are about 5 different glass shops within a 1/4 mile radius of each other in my home town.
You're not getting it. Don't you think Tommy Chong's lawyer was smart enough to try that angle? It did not work. He went to jail.

My friend blew glass and had a retail store, so again, you're not getting it.

The stores around you are most likely legal in your state. But some of the stuff they sell is against federal law. Just becasue the feds haven't busted them does not mean they are not breaking the law.

Trust me, several decent people spent lots of money defending themselves in this case, and they lost.

doghouse

Super Anarchist

It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole

You're not getting it. Don't you think Tommy Chong's lawyer was smart enough to try that angle? It did not work. He went to jail.

The stores around you are most likely legal in your state. But some of the stuff they sell is against federal law. Just becasue the feds haven't busted them does not mean they are not breaking the law.

Trust me, several decent people spent lots of money defending themselves in this case, and they lost.
It is NOT against federal law to sell bongs, pipes, etc. I have a friend who works for the DEA and can tell you unequivocally that their has to be proof that there has been use of the said item in an illegal manner. There is a smoking bar right down from where I live that has hookas and bongs for tobacco smoking

It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole

the reason tommy chong got fucked was because he USED his pieces. it is 100% legal to sell glass pieces under the premise that they are NOT used for smoking pot, most glass shops will immediately boot you if you even allude to smoking pot out of one.

you're the one not getting it

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist

It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole

It is NOT against federal law to sell bongs, pipes, etc. I have a friend who works for the DEA and can tell you unequivocally that their has to be proof that there has been use of the said item in an illegal manner. There is a smoking bar right down from where I live that has hookas and bongs for tobacco smoking
Why did Tommy Chong go to jail? Why did the guy in Eugene lose everything? Why did my friend get convicted?

You guys who are saying it's legal are ignoring the cold hard facts of what happened.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist

It is a federal crime.

Ashcroft is an Asshole

the reason tommy chong got fucked was because he USED his pieces. it is 100% legal to sell glass pieces under the premise that they are NOT used for smoking pot, most glass shops will immediately boot you if you even allude to smoking pot out of one.

you're the one not getting it
You are wrong. People smarter than you, with more experience than you, that agreed with you, lost.

I don't know how to make that any clearer.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
Why did Tommy Chong go to jail? Why did the guy in Eugene lose everything? Why did my friend get convicted?
You guys who are saying it's legal are ignoring the cold hard facts of what happened.
Man you are smart. You know more than the DEA about drug laws.
If what they were doing was legal, why did the DEA bust them?

The DEA busted my friend. He was convicted. He was making and selling glass pipes and bongs. Are you going to say it didn't happen?

Tommy Chong was selling bongs. He got busted by the DEA. He went to jail. Are you going to say that didn't happen either?

Look, I think the law is stupid. But that doesn't change what the DEA did.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
you're comin through fine, if it were illegal to sell glass pieces than go tell that to all the glass blowers out there who blow pipes.
Believe me, my friend wished he had actually researched it further before he opened a store. He knew he was ok by state law. The Feds didn't care.

doghouse

Super Anarchist

The DEA busted my friend. He was convicted. He was making and selling glass pipes and bongs. Are you going to say it didn't happen?

Tommy Chong was selling bongs. He got busted by the DEA. He went to jail. Are you going to say that didn't happen either?

If the DEA busted them, it was because something else was going on, plain and simple. I don't know your friend, but you, me, and everyone else on this planet know Tommy had plenty of weed. If you have weed and an smoking device, you are busted, that's all there is to it. Like I said earlier, their is a commercial smoking bar right down the road here with all that stuff in it, and tobacco is smoked there. My DEA friend knows about it just like everyone else here, they even advertise on the radio, and there isn't any busting going on.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist

If the DEA busted them, it was because something else was going on, plain and simple. I don't know your friend, but you, me, and everyone else on this planet know Tommy had plenty of weed. If you have weed and an smoking device, you are busted, that's all there is to it. Like I said earlier, their is a commercial smoking bar right down the road here with all that stuff in it, and tobacco is smoked there. My DEA friend knows about it just like everyone else here, they even advertise on the radio, and there isn't any busting going on.
The reason they were looking into Tommy was because he was shipping bongs. When they raided his house they found pot.

In California, there are medical marijuana shops. They are legal by state law. But they are illegal by federal law. The feds rarely do anything about them, but they sure as hell know the shops exist.

doghouse

Super Anarchist

The reason they were looking into Tommy was because he was shipping bongs. When they raided his house they found pot.

In California, there are medical marijuana shops. They are legal by state law. But they are illegal by federal law. The feds rarely do anything about them, but they sure as hell know the shops exist.
They didn't look into him for selling bongs, they used that for probable cause to investigate because Tommy Chong is one if the most notorious pot smokers of all time. The fact that there was weed there is what let them nail the paraphernalia charge on him.

Shife

Super Anarchist
That has got to be the worst analogy (and sarcasm) in SA history.What harm or danger was Michael Phelps causing anyone by smoking pot?
That is completely irrelevant (although calling marijuana use harmless is pretty fucking naive). The point is that it is illegal, and while it may be the most retarded law ever, if you get caught you should have the balls to man up and take the punishment.