Eight bells for the man who proved that America was discovered by a Kerryman

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Mad. Pure mad, I tells ya.

The kind of mad that gets things done.

Professor John Harbison’s death announced today as well, at the same age. Coincidence?

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
That was an amazing story. I remember reading the book years ago and laughing at their description of how the boat sailed (fast!)

Salute, and wishing him fair winds as he voyages on

FB- Doug

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Professor John Harbison’s death announced today as well, at the same age. Coincidence?
Sox, the strange coincidence about Harbison was that he died on the day that Joanne Hayes finally had her named cleared, 36 after the Kerry Babies case began.  Harbison was state pathologist at the time.

He wasn't the worst of the crew of eminent bastards who destroyed Joanne Hayes's life ... but none of the people who abused their power were ever punished.  Same as nearly every one of the big scandals of the last few decades 

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
On 12/19/2020 at 8:45 AM, TwoLegged said:

Thank you for this Two Legs, beautiful piece of music.

Tim Severin, and more specifically the Brendan Voyage really opened my eyes to how much of history we really do not know.

We tend to judge our ancestors only by the material things they left for us to find in old manuscripts or buried in the ground. That sometimes can make us forget that they were people just like us, with inventiveness, curiosity and a sense of adventure in abundance.

Tim's voyages brought this to life in a very tangible way.

Fair winds to him!

My own obituary will read like this: "Farewell to a man who re-created Severin's Brendan voyage, or rather tried, since he didn' t get beyond Iceland, despite sailing a more seaworthy 24ft sloop - thus proving alas nothing, except that great books can truly influence life of other people especially 25 years old young men, for the better."

Thank you Tim Severin. 

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
My own obituary will read like this: "Farewell to a man who re-created Severin's Brendan voyage, or rather tried, since he didn' t get beyond Iceland, despite sailing a more seaworthy 24ft sloop - thus proving alas nothing, except that great books can truly influence life of other people especially 25 years old young men, for the better."

Thank you Tim Severin. 
Ganzi, you're wrong. They got way beyond Iceland, to  Peckford Island, Newfoundland.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-20451111.html

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0620/884207-currach-from-dingle-to-newfoundland/

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino

Thank you Tim Severin. 
Ganzi, you're wrong. They got way beyond Iceland, to  Peckford Island, Newfoundland.
I think you misread that.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I'm pretty sure Ganzi was saying he (Ganzi) didn't get beyond Iceland...that he (Ganzi) had tried (and apparently failed ) to recreate the voyage in what he calls a more modern seaworthy 24' sloop

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I'm pretty sure Ganzi was saying he (Ganzi) didn't get beyond Iceland...that he (Ganzi) had tried (and apparently failed ) to recreate the voyage in what he calls a more modern seaworthy 24' sloop
Fair enough.  I had interpreted "my own obituary" as "the obituary I'd write of Tim", but now I see the other meaning, and it seems more likely what was intended.  The 24-ft sloop bit also makes more sense that way.

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
I recall reading "The Brendan Voyage" as a teenager. 

Severin (and his kind) were other-worldly to me and vastly opened up my horizons.  I grew up in a home where the great ambition I was encouraged to achieve was to get a job stocking shelves at the grocery store because that was steady work that would always be in demand.  To read about someone undertaking a great voyage made me think about other possibilities....

Fair winds....